Author Topic: Who's smarter  (Read 8280 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Who's smarter
« on: November 10, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »
If you think you are smarter than the previous generation... 50 years ago the owners manual of a car showed you how to adjust the valves.   Today it warns you not to drink the contents of the battery.

Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Nebo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Who's smarter
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
I have seen in a Toyota 4 Wheel Drive Manual not to drink the coolant but not the battery liquid.

What Car Owners Manual did you see this warning in ?.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »
This was sent to me by my grandson.
   Zane

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 06:38:03 AM »
So what you're saying is there is a failure to educate this generation by the previous 1

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 12:22:30 PM »
  Tony in my generation and maybe yours everything was more hands on, if you had a problem or something needed fixing then you had to figure out what caused the problem and how to fix it. Today most, but not all of the younger generations are not prepared to even have a look they just pay someone else to fix it for them. I realise that throw away is the modern way of doing things but I don't have to agree with it
  As far as education goes, I believe it has failed them and that it has over the last 30 odd years or more moved away from the
 3 R's into an irrelevant system offering no basic life skills, like respect, having a conversation without a phone in the hand,  being prepared to work and gain experience in the work force before moving up the ladder. Today the young ones expect to be the boss within about 12 months.
  Out of all of these the lack of respect is the biggest problem, this should be taught in the home, it also should taught in schools and sadly it seems that no longer applies.
  Zane

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 07:38:29 PM »
I agree Zane.
The thing is who let them get that way, as an example it wasn't the kids who decided they shouldn't walk or bike to school but their parents so we're as responsible as anyone for how they've turned out. It's a bit like blaming teenagers for mobile phones being everything yet they weren't the ones who came up with them or the ways they use them
Parents are where the initial learning comes from, if they're not prepared to teach some hands on skills etc then they really shouldn't moan when their kids can't do any of the things they should be able to do

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 03:43:18 PM »
we grew up in an era of the perfect family model, dad mum n kids, 3 bedroom home with a backyard. These days that is not considered a perfect family model. kids these days are taught differently at school to grow up with different ideals and beliefs. I would hate to be a kid  now because of old blokes like me telling them different. As to who is smarter.........

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 10:31:41 AM »
From what I'm seeing day to day at work, we have to lower the DUMB bar every year.

Recently we had to paint a red strips around a the clear roof sheets on the warehouse roof. Then we had to put up signs explaining what the red paint stripes were for. Then we had to put a risk assessment sheet at the roof entry point. Then there was another tag put on the key ring to the gate for the roof entry saying read the risk assessment.

The right thing to do is just talk to the people accessing the roof. Management says that would not stand up in court!

Now, what was that about Darwin Theory?????

Peter B
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:40:43 AM by crossedup2 »
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »
From what I'm seeing day to day at work, we have to lower the DUMB bar every year.

Recently we had to paint a red strips around a the clear roof sheets on the warehouse roof. Then we had to put up signs explaining what the red paint stripes were for. Then we had to put a risk assessment sheet at the roof entry point. Then there was another tag put on the key ring to the gate for the roof entry saying read the risk assessment.

The right thing to do is just talk to the people accessing the roof. Management says that would not stand up in court!

Now, what was that about Darwin Theory?????

Peter B

that is so true Peter, its just ridiculous the amount of procedures and processes required to any thing these days.

i'm glad i'm nearing the end of my career in industry the red tape and bureaucracy is tedious.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 02:26:39 PM »

[/quote]

that is so true Peter, its just ridiculous the amount of procedures and processes required to any thing these days.

i'm glad i'm nearing the end of my career in industry the red tape and bureaucracy is tedious.
[/quote]

This is a disturbingly common sentiment.

I’m beginning to think that we grow old and die, because we can’t stand what is happening to the world.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 04:01:42 PM »
People aren't getting stupider , they are getting smarter at working out how to exploit the system. Its all Litigation and Insurance and us poor sucker are paying for it both financially and mentally having to go through the rigmarole.  First politician that announces that we get  1 day of the year insurance claim free and its called Darwin's day gets my vote.

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 07:01:48 PM »
Unfortunately I believe we are in the era of Entitlement, Political Correctness, Social Justice Warriors, Militant Feminism and way far left Ideologies. Simpler lives when I was a kid and importance placed on values, character and ethics. Unfortunately not so much today. My 2 cents

Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 07:10:17 PM »
  A lot of this risk assessment stuff and heaps of other bullshit started around the same time as Work Cover became self funding. They They had to find more ways to raise money, the problem is that the employers have to fund all of this crap and production slows as a consequence.  Not a lot of winners here.
   Zane

Offline ralph311

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 12:16:52 AM »
Hello

Have I got the right room for the Association of Post-Menopausal Spinsters Who Don't Like Any Fcuking Thing Annual Piss and Moan Conference?

Thought I'd never find you!

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 08:51:52 PM »
  Probably not the right room to find piss ants who don't have an opinion on anything, incase his boss or wife hear about it.
  Zane