Author Topic: Can of worms  (Read 10569 times)

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Can of worms
« on: October 14, 2020, 08:07:15 PM »
 Just putting it out there, what's your thoughts on the prices of VMX bike's ATM, saw a KX5 sold for 17K
great news if you own 1

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Can of worms
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 11:23:32 PM »
Same old story, what they "ask for" versus "what they get" for example

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LAVERDA-Mirage-1200-rare-and-nice-condition-PRICE-HEAVILY-REDUCED/203132539333?hash=item2f4ba491c5:g:DSQAAOSwPXVfM8Rk

In the current crisis is anyone going to spend that kind of money (even if they do have it) when there is this much economic uncertainty. It was the same
thing when the mining boom ended in W.A, when the GFC happened in 2008, prices adjust to meet the new economic reality but some people just don't get it that what they "think" it's worth in the boom time is not what consumers are "willing" to pay when times are tough.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 08:49:42 PM »
I think the current values are a very limited period in History.

I think bikes and cars that were “desirable” when guys (predominately) were between about 12 and 20 years old. When they couldn’t afford them are predominately the high priced vehicles now. When these “guys” are between 40 and 70 years old, they sometimes find themselves financially better off than they have ever been. Often with the family off their hands, and mortgage paid off. Suffering midlife crises they decide: “if I don’t own that Maico/Z900/Katana/Elsinore/Torana/Ford GT/ etc, etc now, I never will.” Or “I’d like to buy my first motorbike/car again” (Desperately “buying” their youth back?).

Like I’m not really interested in early ‘60’s or older bikes, most of the demand for the ‘70’s bikes/cars will likely reduce markedly over the next 20 years. (Or less).

For several reasons it’s unlikely that in 2070 50yo’s will be saying “I’m looking for a 2017 Hyundai. I30!”

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »
nothing will peel money out of a mans pocket like nostalgia......

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 07:07:01 PM »
Let the dog out of the car  and it runs around cocking its leg on everything  to make it his.  We see this and think how damn stupid but then go in the shed and do our personal touches to the cherry we just picked because we think thats how it should be and it s better and thats how  we did it back then.
 You havnt made it better you've just pissed on it and made it yours. People want what was in the dealer window in 1970 whatever's.
This is why NOS is expensive this is why Original is expensive as they dont make it anymore and never will. If you want an investment it must be period correct and or original or else you just lifting your leg and anyone can piss in the wind and expect it not to blow in their face...

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 10:03:12 PM »
Without doubt the ( stock OME ) 1981 Maygo 490 will be the bike that will always realise good prices.
Not because it’s any good, it’s really quite bad, but because the hype around this bike is extraordinary.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 09:31:58 AM »
Good post Pokey  :D Now in everyone's opinion ,what bike model year, will always weather the storms and stand out as the one to own?

As I alluded to, I think it depends on the buyers “Vintage”.
For me:
Kawasaki 75 - first bike
‘73 XR75 - Bike I wanted, but never had.
First CR125 Elsinore - Bike I assumed I’d ride when I grew up.
Z900 - King of the road when I was an impressionable 10yo. (Again, I assumed I’d get one when I “grew up” - still waiting to “grow up”...Still waiting on a Z900...)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 05:28:20 PM »
EML Jumbo  ;)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 06:16:21 PM »
As time goes on the purpose for having the bikes changes.  reliving our memories by racing morphs into garage queens and investments. unless you turn your toes up and the kids just want to offload what they dont know about and dont care. The bikes may aswell be a vintage furniture item or art work and the same rules apply. Provenance. Was it owned by anyone special. what made it famous. How rare was it then and now and can you prove it..What made it special?

Big bores factory rides from a Legend always a good bet. Specials like cheneys are a niche market.and attract a different collector. A solid original CR500 also a good deal as are oddball stuff like Rokons and Auto Huskies.
Then you have showroom 2 fiddies and 125s with forgotten 175s and 100s somewhere in the mix..
There are always exceptions like the ultra rare Tohatsu, RH67 suzuki  the namaguchi and such but as anyone who has been around old bikes will know condition and originality i is all and a OEM spec Green tank CR125 is more desirable as an investor than one with a Gem reed  works shocks and FMF pipe as we know how much time it takes to find good parts that havnt been "Personalised on"

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »
The prices I do not understand are the  Vincent , Brough Superior type stuff that sells for the same price as a small house .

I don't see nostalgia being a factor
- if you were a young man when these bikes were new , then you must be 90-100 years old now , and done with nostalgia { I would think }

are they just investments now ?

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »
The prices I do not understand are the  Vincent , Brough Superior type stuff that sells for the same price as a small house .

I don't see nostalgia being a factor
- if you were a young man when these bikes were new , then you must be 90-100 years old now , and done with nostalgia { I would think }

are they just investments now ?

i think that these machines like Vincent , Brough Superior have entered in the ICONIC model folklore stage (like mustangs, early porshe and ferrari's and Rolls Royce Phantoms) i don't understand what makes some things collectable and some not, its quiet strange.

i Own a 1985 CR500 and i don't think CR500's are worth the money they are being advertised as (be interesting to know if sellers are getting that sort of money, i suspect not)

Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 07:20:56 PM »
Very interesting thoughts.

I think Hoony is correct about some vehicles now being “iconic”.
Many of them were rare and unaffordable (to most) when new - that’s one category.

At the other end of the spectrum you have things that at one stage you couldn’t give away, now commanding big bucks.

Z50’s, XR75’s, RD350LC’s (Seen the prices?!) YZ80C/D/E/F
Imagine trying to sell an RM125 A/B/C/N/T in 1981 when all the brands went water cooled/ single shock!
I guess most 1980 XL250s were just ridden into dust.

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »
when i was a boy growing up in the 70s and 80s i couldn't get rid of my xr75 fast enough cause i thought they were too slow. i traded on a cr250 79 model red devil. Then my mates had watercooled monoshock bikes. I also  had a hagon jap (which i couldn't ride properly) Sold it cause not enough valves. It's costing me a fortune to restore these bikes, who was to know they proved to be collectable ? Not even gunna mention cars.......   

Offline Nebo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »
   How much is a VMX bike Worth?.
I have a Honda Dax. Did have XL250,RD350,RZ350. Do not wish i still had them. Brother has a JR80 and XR75.

I think you you have the put bikes in Categories.

Disassembled or Basket Case. You need to have a good look of what you buying it may be a good restro or scrap.
We have brought several Maico,s in a million bits when they were worth nothing. Turned out to be enough parts to all most build 3 complete bikes. Lucy enough to have the benefit of the high OZ Dollar some years ago to able to restore several Maico,s.

Ready to Race.  At what level ?. Club/Local may be. I remember one of the first VMX meetings in Victoria at Barrabool.
Some guys had spent a lot time and money others had dragged them out the shed after being there for years. And done little to them.
Half them were back on the ute or trailer before practice was over.

Brought a 1970 250 square Barrel Maico for $800 almost 15 years ago. Slow, Clutch did not work well, this is normal.  But fun to ride.
Had silly idea of running at OZ VMX titles. Need more power,Radical port job needed,Pipe, Strong Wheels,Clutch that works, upgrade gearbox,suspension, etc, etc.
Over $3000.00 later and my nephew winning Several Oz titles on it . How much is it Worth?.  It is not for sale.

Same with 74 LTR 400GP Maico. My Brothers. Special Pipe, PVL Ing, Koni GP shocks,many Engine mods,Sun rims and Stainless spokes, etc, etc. This bike has Won several Oz Titles. How much is it worth?. It is not for sale.

Show Bike/100% Original/Full Restro . Is it a rare make and model?.  May look good on the outside . Whats its history?. What is on the inside?. Who built the engine?.
Show me the receipts for Parts and Labor. A new paint job and plastics can make a bike look good.
Many people have been ripped off from buying bikes and cars from the USA and are not what they are supposed to be.   Be careful.

In conclusion some people will pay any price if they want it bad enough.
Old cars and bikes are like dirt they do not make it anymore.
And try buying a classic car cheap and restoring cheaply it.  Example a Porsche.

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »
Nebo , I like your categories , but would like to add one more

Overpriced & Overrated Vintage Bikes

Top of this category for me .................................................................... any pushrod CCM