Author Topic: Maico kick start alternative  (Read 9728 times)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Maico kick start alternative
« on: August 09, 2020, 03:50:19 PM »
I see talk regarding YZ465 kickstarter and it got me thinking if anyone had come across an alternative for a Maico kickstarter.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Maico kick start alternative
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »
Some people use a KTM kickstarter , but I am unsure which model they are from . There is also a few different aftermarket , direct copies of the original ones . I just got a new one from the UK and although I haven't used it yet , it looks to be good quality .

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 01:11:48 AM »
Some people use a KTM kickstarter , but I am unsure which model they are from . There is also a few different aftermarket , direct copies of the original ones . I just got a new one from the UK and although I haven't used it yet , it looks to be good quality .
Thanks. I've seen the new copies but was hoping for a secondhand version to save a few dollars. I'll try and check with the local KTM collector but used KTM levers are probably just as thin on the ground.

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 07:42:53 AM »
I used a KTM kickstarter on my 79 Maico, it was a spare which came with my son's 1988 KTM250 enduro, bolt on fit, never failed.
Tony.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 08:38:00 AM »
Doesn't Chippy have new replacements for these?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 11:08:47 AM »
Doesn't Chippy have new replacements for these?
Yes he does. They are around $250 which is quite reasonable for a new item. I was hoping to pick up something second hand.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
I used a KTM kickstarter on my 79 Maico, it was a spare which came with my son's 1988 KTM250 enduro, bolt on fit, never failed.
Tony.
Thanks Tony
I'll see if I can track one down.

Offline Nebo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
 If you find a second hand one make shore the spline is good or you wreck the kick starter shaft.

What is wrong with the old one?. As if the spine is damaged or the Kickstarter Knuckle is broken you can buy just the   Knuckle .  You also need the clip, Ball bearing and Spring.

Chippys should be able to help.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 04:28:46 PM »
If you find a second hand one make shore the spline is good or you wreck the kick starter shaft.

What is wrong with the old one?. As if the spine is damaged or the Kickstarter Knuckle is broken you can buy just the   Knuckle .  You also need the clip, Ball bearing and Spring.

Chippys should be able to help.
Don't have one at all as I've been slowly building this bike 1974 250 out of parts sourced from swap meets etc over the last 20 or so years and now only missing a seat, mag cover and the kickstarter. Think I'm short 10 clutch springs as well but looking into making a coil spring to do the job instead.

Offline Nebo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 02:33:31 PM »
  My brother and i have several Maico,s from 1970 up to 1985 .                  We have never tried the Wheelsmith single spring  clutch set up.  Some people say it works well ours say it does not.
The best thing you can do is to modify the clutch to Magnum Specs.  This is shore to work as we have done several.
There is plenty of information on the web and in the Maico Factory Service Bulletins show the upgrades.

Cannot help with parts we used our only spare mag cover on my 250 square barrel .                                               
         Chippy,s may have second hand  Mag cover.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 04:19:43 PM »
  My brother and i have several Maico,s from 1970 up to 1985 .                  We have never tried the Wheelsmith single spring  clutch set up.  Some people say it works well ours say it does not.
The best thing you can do is to modify the clutch to Magnum Specs.  This is shore to work as we have done several.
There is plenty of information on the web and in the Maico Factory Service Bulletins show the upgrades.

Cannot help with parts we used our only spare mag cover on my 250 square barrel .                                               
         Chippy,s may have second hand  Mag cover.
Getting some bits from Chippy. He's going to drop them in when he picks up his 74 250 radial.