Author Topic: any of you guys did built his own vinduro bike from the frame?  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: any of you guys did built his own vinduro bike from the frame?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 01:15:28 PM »
Most of "Reynolds" tubing is CrMo, MnMo or stainless hardened steel tubing.  Can be tig/acetylene or mig welded. 4130 simply refers to one of many kinds of CrMo steel that is weldable etc..Only diference between acetylene and Tig welding/brazing is a source of heat. Not many fabricartors/welders can tig/acetylene weld and thats why it is not commonly used but its not archaic . Mig welding was simply developed for ease of use. Can probably train a monkey to mig weld. :)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 09:38:33 PM »
4130 Cr-mo can be welded with a MIG, TIG, Arc, Oxy or brazed,
Arc welding thin materials (1.5mm and under) is difficult

I don't believe any of the motorcycle manufacturers used 4130 as they wouldn't want the hassle of having to heat treat all their frame.
Most aftermarket frame builders use 4130 but the Poms also used Reynolds tube.

A forum member had a Maico frame analyzed a few years back and it was much the same as 4130 but with less Carbon.

Carbon is the magic ingredient for making hardened steel
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 11:16:30 AM »
i'm searching info and real stories about  frame fabrications from scratches..plenty for harleys and choppers, nothing for vinduro\cross\twinshocks dirty thumpers?

ever seen a GMC HL replica frame? thats how its done...

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 02:25:46 PM »
i'm searching info and real stories about  frame fabrications from scratches..plenty for harleys and choppers, nothing for vinduro\cross\twinshocks dirty thumpers?

What sort of info- what do you want to know? Any amount of stuff on the net/YouTube

First thing in my mind if you are contemplating a project is to be tooled up and to make a frame construction fixture.

If you love it, lube it.