Author Topic: Hi All, I've just joined  (Read 8114 times)

Offline MEREA

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hi All, I've just joined
« on: January 25, 2020, 06:15:10 PM »
Hello All,
My name is Andrew from Central Queensland Australia. I have 4 bikes, 14 Husky TE300, 95 XR600, 89 XR200 and the mighty 84 CR500! I've been riding bikes for over 30yrs now but not much in the last few due to marriage break up and all that stuff ( I'm sure this is a familiar story haha)
So I've just begun the task of a full rebuild on the XR, with the CR to follow  ;)
Hoping to chat with like minded people for advice, knowledge and share my rebuilds with. Also want to join a club and do some VMX racing when the bikes are track ready.
Look forward to making some new friends  ;D
Cheers
Big Honda Lover

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Hi All, I've just joined
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:37:21 PM »
Welcome , lots of good advice and help here.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:51:13 PM »
Welcome Andrew, yes lots of good info here.  I just sold my '84 CR500; still have a good gearbox & rear shock if you need. :-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 05:20:26 PM »
Welcome to the mad house Andrew . there is a treasure trove of info on this site .
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline MEREA

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 02:42:17 AM »
Welcome Andrew, yes lots of good info here.  I just sold my '84 CR500; still have a good gearbox & rear shock if you need. :-)
Hi John,
I have all the parts I need now thanks. I blew it up in a big way racing VMX flat track a few years back. Snapped the conrod, The piece left connected to the crank went around with it and smashed the engine cases to pieces!! I was able to find a complete bottom end from the states for $1000, now I have the task of putting them together to make one good engine :)
Did you ever get the squish clearance mod done to yours?

Andrew
Big Honda Lover

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »

Did you ever get the squish clearance mod done to yours?

Andrew

I did mod the head, l narrowed the squishband to 15mm wide, closed up the piston to squish to 1.2mm.

The best mod with the standard carb is to extend the pilot jet pick-up to the bottom of the bowl, it reduced pinging by about 75%. This helps with all big-bore 2-strokes that run a carb with a pilot-jet that sits high in the float chamber; with such high vibration, the pilot is just sucking airated fuel. Reducing the last 25% I got by filing the bottom of the slide, making part throttle richer with less slide cutaway (careful the slide does not bottom-out on the needle-jet shroud).

YZ490 riders back in the day always complained that going rich to stop the ping caused it to blubber down the bottom ............ pilot sucking airated fuel.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline MEREA

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 01:20:32 PM »
Hey thanks for that! I've never heard of it before, I'll pull the carb apart today and check it out.
I'm thinking all the previous pinging before I owned the bike has stressed the conrod, causing it to snap in racing conditions! It's a real mess at the moment, but a good excuse to rebuild it better than before  ;)
Big Honda Lover

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 09:19:26 PM »
Hey Andrew. What part of Central Queensland are you from??
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline MEREA

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »
I'm in Moranbah most of the time for work, but I also have a place on the Sunshine Coast. Much better tracks down there!
Big Honda Lover

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »
G'day Andrew, and bout time you joined. Good people on here. Info too.
Saw the names Merea, Moranbah, Sun Coast, divorce, and knew exactly who you were. Sad to hear of the divorce tho.
Good to see you're getting the Cr sorted finally.

Cheers, Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline MEREA

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 09:00:12 PM »
Hi Mark!
Yeah finally getting back into it. I have more time for it now so that's a bonus. I stripped the XR600 down thinking that would be easier to get going, but turns out I blew the bottom end in that too haha. I have sent the top end away for a 628cc rebore, new valves, springs, cam ect. I'm going to fully hot it up and rebuild it :) Then I will be the CRs turn haha

Andrew
Big Honda Lover

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »
Welcome
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina