Author Topic: Steering stem nut torquing?  (Read 5872 times)

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Steering stem nut torquing?
« on: December 19, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »
Hello all,

I'm having a bit of trouble on tightening the 27mm steering stem nut on my Yamaha IT250. I've adjusted the ring nut at the bottom to eliminate the free play and minimize the binding perfectly however when i was trying to tighten up the big stem nut on top to the specified torque of 94 ft.lbs with a torque wrench, it seems to be binding the entire assembly up after tightening. Anyone know what's going on here?

Jack.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Steering stem nut torquing?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
Probably worn threads on the stem allowing the top nut to pull everything tighter.
Back off the top race nut a bit and try tightening the top nut. Yamaha workshop manuals have suggested this forever.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 04:21:26 AM by Momus »
If you love it, lube it.

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »
I tried tighten the stem nut without even putting any preload on the bearing with the ring nut. For whatever reason it's pulling everything together when i reach the torque specification on the torque wrench. I also looked on the diagram to make sure i'm not missing any parts and it's all there in the right order.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »
94ftlbs seems excessive, that's more than the nuts on crankshafts & clutch hubs

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 07:28:01 PM »
Takes a bit to "Seat " the bearings and the stem. Tighten the rings until they bind, then turn the steering with weight and do it again after it loosens then do it all again. After you get no more loosening then do your Top nut.I go for a 30min ride with a few spanners and adjust as required.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 07:12:43 AM »
have you loosened the fork clamping bolts on the top triple clamp? the whole shebang has to lower down as you tighten the big nut. give it a few wacks with a nylon hammer to help it along... i would only snug it up then tighten the fork clamps..nothing gunna move.. check the decimal point sure its not 9.4? 94 sounds like it would tear the alloy nut in half

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 06:03:03 PM »
looking in the Clymer manual,IT250 G is 68ft/p,(95nm),but F/E models states 43fp,60nm,can only assume from that G's run steel locking nut,whereas F/E models alloy??, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »
Yes the pinch bolts on both sides are loosened before i tighten the big nut up. Mine is a IT250K and i have a factory service manual right in front of me now. It clearly stated that it should be torque down to 94 ft.lb which i do think it's a bit too much as well. I have a 01 YZ250F here and in the factory manual yamaha recommended the big nut torque at 105 ft.lbs which it's unbelievable.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 04:06:34 AM »
Yes the pinch bolts on both sides are loosened before i tighten the big nut up. Mine is a IT250K and i have a factory service manual right in front of me now. It clearly stated that it should be torque down to 94 ft.lb which i do think it's a bit too much as well. I have a 01 YZ250F here and in the factory manual yamaha recommended the big nut torque at 105 ft.lbs which it's unbelievable.

25 x 1.0 thread- that torque figure sounds about right to get some stretch going.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 07:23:49 AM »
Yes indeed, i don't know why would Yamaha call for such amount of torque for the big fixing nut. I've never have this happened before and it's straightforward standard headstock so i'm going to clean up the threads and replace the nuts with the spares i have and let's see how it turns out.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
Perhaps the ring nut is turning with the 27mm AF nut as you tighten it, try holding the ring nut in position with a C-spanner as you torque up the 27mm nut. You might need a second pair of hands for this operation.

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »
It's all sorted :) i only spin the nut until all the free play is gone then zap the big nut up a few times and it's now perfect. Just have to bring her out now for a few laps for it to seat in and further adjust it. Thanks everyone for the help and ideas  ;)

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 09:53:11 PM »
It's all sorted :) i only spin the nut until all the free play is gone then zap the big nut up a few times and it's now perfect. Just have to bring her out now for a few laps for it to seat in and further adjust it. Thanks everyone for the help and ideas  ;)

Exactly as per workshop manual.
If you love it, lube it.