Author Topic: ‘70’s trials bike rego  (Read 7692 times)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
‘70’s trials bike rego
« on: November 29, 2019, 10:46:51 AM »
Looking at acquiring a TY175, TY250, TL125, or TL250.

Leaning towards the Yamaha’s, as there just isn’t enough 2 stroke in my life, but a TL125 would fit the bill. (Anyone know how much heavier the TL250 is?)

For our use - intro to off-road/trials for my girlfriend, we need road rego.

Can anyone confirm which of the named can be registered (in QLD if it makes any difference).

I know the TY250 can be, I used to ride one to work.

Any insight into rego, or the models mentioned would be appreciated. 

Offline Dungar Pilot

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: ‘70’s trials bike rego
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:09:44 PM »
Hi All,

Looking at acquiring a TY175, TY250, TL125, or TL250.

Leaning towards the Yamaha’s, as there just isn’t enough 2 stroke in my life, but a TL125 would fit the bill. (Anyone know how much heavier the TL250 is?)

For our use - intro to off-road/trials for my girlfriend, we need road rego.

Can anyone confirm which of the named can be registered (in QLD if it makes any difference).

I know the TY250 can be, I used to ride one to work.

Any insight into rego, or the models mentioned would be appreciated.
You have pretty much listed them lightest to heaviest.

TY  175 JC or the later JE will be the easiest to rego as they have a compliance plate. TL125 S, the later 1976 model will have a compliance plate as well but earlier TL125 does not. They are pre 1975 so should not need a plate but may be more complicated to rego without a plate? TY 250 A is pre 1975 but no compliance plate, all later B, C, D, and E models are after 1975 or there abouts onwards and no compliance plate. TL 250 has no compliance plate either and I am not sure if there such a thing as pre 1975 TL 250? You guessed it, there is no Compliance Plate! Honda stated 99 kilos but somehow managed to give you bonus Kilograms, I personally think they were trying to avoid triple digits like most of us!

None of mine have rego but I have an example of each (in fairly original condition) that you have mentioned .

Hope this helps?

Greg
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 06:12:31 PM by Dungar Pilot »

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I had a TY250. I think it was an “E”? (Blue alloy tank) I think it was the last of them.
I rode it around in the ‘80’s.
Full road rego in NSW. Speedo on the fork leg, no blinkers. From vague memory I thought it had a compliance plate.

Are you saying any bike built before 1975 doesn’t need a compliance plate?
With a silencer and lights I could get a ‘73 CR250 Elsinore registered!?!? Ha ha!

Offline Dungar Pilot

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 09:27:09 PM »
Hi All,
Thanks for the info.

I had a TY250. I think it was an “E”? (Blue alloy tank) I think it was the last of them.
I rode it around in the ‘80’s.
Full road rego in NSW. Speedo on the fork leg, no blinkers. From vague memory I thought it had a compliance plate.

Are you saying any bike built before 1975 doesn’t need a compliance plate?
With a silencer and lights I could get a ‘73 CR250 Elsinore registered!?!? Ha ha!
TY 250 E had a black motor, white tank with red highlighted blue/ purple blocks in a curved stripe on the tank and is quite a rare bike! B, C, D and E all had aluminum tanks. If yours was SKY(pig) blue, then it was a D model and if it had a compliance plate, it was most likely Dodgy!

As for pre 1975 bikes not needing a compliance plate, that is absolutely true, getting it registered might be a different matter? What you can get registered I am not sure,  someone else on here is most likely better to answer your question?

Are you limited to Yamaha and Honda? As I have a Suzuki RL  250 with compliance so they do exist.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:29:58 PM by Dungar Pilot »

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 09:55:09 AM »

TY 250 E had a black motor, white tank with red highlighted blue/ purple blocks in a curved stripe on the tank and is quite a rare bike! B, C, D and E all had aluminum tanks. If yours was SKY(pig) blue, then it was a D model and if it had a compliance plate, it was most likely Dodgy!

As for pre 1975 bikes not needing a compliance plate, that is absolutely true, getting it registered might be a different matter? What you can get registered I am not sure,  someone else on here is most likely better to answer your question?

Are you limited to Yamaha and Honda? As I have a Suzuki RL  250 with compliance so they do exist.

Ok - a “D” it was, and immaculate. One of the bikes I regret selling most.....

I’ll see if I can get any sense out of the local motor registery (QLD)
Rego will make it a lot easier to ride.

We are open to all brands/models.
I found an ‘84 Honda 200, which would likely be the “best” “riding bike” for our needs, but it has to be ‘70’s apparently. A strong preference for 1974 - so it’s birthday coincides with hers....

Hey - I’m happy she want’s to buy and ride  a vintage dirt bike!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:25:59 PM by skypig »

Offline Dungar Pilot

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
Hi All.

I found an ‘84 Honda 200, which would likely be the “best” “riding bike” for our needs, but it has to be ‘70’s apparently. A strong preference for 1974 - so it’s birthday coincides with hers....

Aha, bottom to top, I can so relate to your statement as my Lady rides regularly with me, sometimes on old bikes and sometimes on her SHERCO! All 1974 Trials models are pre compliance but limits you to TL 125, TY  250 A and if you are not biased RL 250, pretty sure there is such a thing as 1974 Kawasaki KT
250 but they are rarer than RL 250. 

That is if you are limited to Japanese. Spanish bikes are very nice and Sherpa T can be registered, my 198 1978 has a compliance plate. Not sure about Montesa 247 or OSSA MAR?

Honda, I assume TLR  200 is a great bike were never sold through local dealers, only the later TLR  250 and none had a compliance plate.

We have all sold a TY and regretted it, the only cure is to buy another............................!

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
Hi All.

Aha, bottom to top, I can so relate to your statement as my Lady rides regularly with me, sometimes on old bikes and sometimes on her SHERCO! All 1974 Trials models are pre compliance but limits you to TL 125, TY  250 A and if you are not biased RL 250, pretty sure there is such a thing as 1974 Kawasaki KT
250 but they are rarer than RL 250. 

That is if you are limited to Japanese. Spanish bikes are very nice and Sherpa T can be registered, my 198 1978 has a compliance plate. Not sure about Montesa 247 or OSSA MAR?

Honda, I assume TLR  200 is a great bike were never sold through local dealers, only the later TLR  250 and none had a compliance plate.

We have all sold a TY and regretted it, the only cure is to buy another............................!

Not limited to Japanese. A lovely Montessa for sale at the moment.
Thanks for the PM - will be in touch.
Simon

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:45:23 PM »
Compliance plates only became fitted to all bikes that were ADR'd October 77 onwards but ADR's came in after July 1975. If the bike never had a compliance plate and its pre October 77  then you can register it.

So yes means bikes like 75 and 76 RM's, CR's, YZ's even though they do not have compliance plates, can all be registered once you mod them to meet ADR requirements of lighting/mirrors/horn etc.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:07:49 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 10:04:44 AM »
^^^

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline James P

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »
So yes means bikes like 75 and 76 RM's, CR's, YZ's even though they do not have compliance plates, can all be registered once you mod them to meet ADR requirements of lighting/mirrors/horn etc.

Yes, that is my experience too...but check to see if your state has any additional requirements (i.e. in addition to the minimum ADR requirements).

Regards,
James