Author Topic: What's the go with Laying up bikes with fibergalss tanks ?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
What's the go with Laying up bikes with fibergalss tanks ?
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
What's the go with Laying up bikes with fibergalss tanks ?  Would you think its best to leave them dry so they dont go soggy and weep, or best to leave them fuelled up so they dont dry out and crack ?

:-\ :-\
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What's the go with Laying up bikes with fibergalss tanks ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 05:08:38 PM »
If there hasonly been petrol in there it's probably fine, methanol,fibreglass and time isn't the best mix.The alcohol absorbing all that water.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:41:58 PM »
no tank has been dry for 6 months only premix gas, i just wanted to know if i fill it up again for a run dshould i leave gas in it or drain it out, i always put fuel in my steel tanks to keep them up, but im not sure on glass one if its better dry or wet ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 10:07:28 PM »
"original" glass tanks should be decanted if to be left unused for 6mths,certainly extends working life of the "older" resin system used,especially if theres ethanol blends involved in the mix,(one to avoid),but being left dry might damage the tap seals if they're rubber types,(cracking due to shrinkage??),justa thought,cheers Mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
i think ill start the bike every 3 months and just keep some "fumes" in the tank to keep it moist :O)
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 11:05:29 PM »
Fibreglass and plastic is porous . maico knew that and popped thier plastic tanks in a glass skin, atleast they kept the stickers on  and didnt spew fuel from a crack when u had a nasty off.
 old glass tanks will seep fuel if left  with fuel inside. The glass itself will be fine but as mentioned the resin  that binds the glass together is the weak link and breaks down after time and you will have a case of porosity to deal with. Minute pinholes that will bubble the gelcoats and enamels cant really stop it whatever you do dry or wet.
 if you get a case  of porosity deal with it when and if yours is ready for it and save  fiddling with the fuel tap and leave something in it for the seals .

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
the taps is a AF speedway type so they are cheap, ill drainit and let it dry between fills if it does start to gel out, i have heard castolining ( tank liner) will seal up and coat the internals and protect from alchy and ethonal blends.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 02:12:11 PM »
freakshow, ring up ficeda accessories and get a Red white and blue tankliner kit. it works excellent for fibreglass tanks, especially old ones with outdated resins. fuel will not react with it. i use it all the time and 100 % guarantee it will work
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022