Author Topic: All electric soon ?  (Read 12503 times)

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
All electric soon ?
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:15:18 PM »
Should that move to electric cars come through , what will it do to classics and classic racing ? Just urios what everyone is thinking about that .
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: All electric soon ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »
its gonna happen....... ::)

i predict mainstream MX will be electric in 15 years or sooner, i don't like them as they sound like blenders.... but they do go.

the pollution debate will make this happen and VMX as we know it will become a novelty eventually.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 06:15:05 PM »
I look forward to the day I stager out the pub , swipe my CC in a slot and my driverless electric car takes me home.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 06:31:47 PM »
  Then all we have to do is find a way to stop all of those inconsiderate cattle from farting and then sack all of our coal miners and close down the mines.  Then everything will be fixed.

Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 07:09:34 PM »
good luck with that....

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »
The way everything is shifting so quick lately ( gay marriage ,gun ownership , immigration policies , veganism etc . ) How will the programmed  community  judge people that are burning fossil fuel just for fun ? Will  those events stop be still OK ? Will people still look at those bikes as being desirable, because they burn fuel ? I knew electric  and fuel cell vehicles would come one day after I have gone , but now things are on overdrive and could well become reality before the end of the next decade. I don't know , just thinking ..........
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
I can see a time when the majority of cars are electric ,
but I think combustion engines still have a future in some applications
Long distance trucks, military vehicles, small aircraft, some plant and machinery , or any vehicle that you want to cover a long distance quickly without a long stop for charging

also we don't know if battery and charging technology will ever be as good in the future as some claim

in a way it could help vintage cars & bikes - if we use less oil for commuting to work , the oil we have left will last longer so we can carry on using vintage stuff a bit longer without trying to use alternative fuels like ethanol etc.

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:39:35 PM »
where will the electricity come from to recharge the batteries?????  maybe god will provide......

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
 Not so long ago around the turn of the last century the automobile was begining to become common place, I'm sure there were many that said they will still be riding on a horses back etc etc etc. Are there still horses around now? If there are horses what are they mainly used for now?
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 09:55:36 PM »
i would love to have the new tesla sports car or the 3 engined suv
sports car
0-60mph in 1.9sec
0-100mph 4.2sec
standing 1/4 mile 8.8sec
620 mile range
and all wheel drive
top speed over 250mph
yes all mph
went all over them in the showroom in hawaii

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
KTM make an electric version of the Freeride.

I would love to try one. It has the same frame as my 350 so it will handle the same, it weighs the same and has the same rated horsepower and I have a good suspension solution.

This will be a bike that has no clutch and cannot be stalled. It has maximum torque from idle and it's quiet so I can ride it nearly anywhere.

The downsides at present are range, recharge time or if I'm super keen the cost of a spare battery.

The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »
And what energy will they use to  charge them with ... solar/ wind / nuclear / coal ( nothing is clean )    , not to mention the lithium and cobalt re-cycling issue once the batteries are forked.
They have factories  full of dead solar panels they do not know what to do with yet.

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 03:55:14 AM »
i would love to have the new tesla sports car or the 3 engined suv
sports car
0-60mph in 1.9sec
0-100mph 4.2sec
standing 1/4 mile 8.8sec
620 mile range
and all wheel drive
top speed over 250mph
yes all mph
went all over them in the showroom in hawaii
these are all good figures , except no one from Tesla etc. mentions that if you do several back to back 1/4 mile runs etc.  sometimes the car shuts down to  allow the batteries to cool down & recover .
and what happens if you use the performance often , do you shorten the battery life ? 
 same as using the superchargers all the time, what does this do to the batteries ?

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
I did some back to back races on sunday I shut down as well

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »
KTM make an electric version of the Freeride.

I would love to try one. It has the same frame as my 350 so it will handle the same, it weighs the same and has the same rated horsepower and I have a good suspension solution.

This will be a bike that has no clutch and cannot be stalled. It has maximum torque from idle and it's quiet so I can ride it nearly anywhere.

The downsides at present are range, recharge time or if I'm super keen the cost of a spare battery.

Brent I have a electric Mountain Bike , its great fun , Does 50 km/top speed  and has a range of about 25 km if you don't pedal at all . If a manufacturer would make something a bit more race bikish (stronger forks , bigger battery , better shock , slightly stronger frame ) , I think it would be a top seller .  The question then , what will happen to the classics ? I understand Icons like Ossa,Puch  or a original works bike will hold their value forever , But what will happen to the bikes that have been modified  and blinged up ? If it has wheels , people will always race it , but I think they will choose the most convenient options ....just pondering .....