Author Topic: ebay calculated import charges increase.  (Read 5840 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
ebay calculated import charges increase.
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:16:18 AM »
Hi Guy's, l thought that when ebay started adding 'import charges' to the total purchase amount, l thought it was 10% but when l put stuff into my cart now it is calculating about 21%. Am l going crazy or am l now ceasing any purchasing from overseas?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: ebay calculated import charges increase.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
think we're pretty screwed in general,my fav japanese spares shop no longer ships to my address in NSW,(regiona nsw),l,m assuming thats countrywide,guess they dont want to bother collecting GST for our effing gov  >:(, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »
I gave up on eBay international purchases years ago when they started doing "postage" and extorting us for triple the rack rate.
Have to desperately want something to buy it on eBay these days.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 08:17:22 PM »
I noticed it the other night as well ???
Also put 4 of exactly the same items in the cart, Ebay calculated  postage prices varied from $66 through to $188, but only had the import charge attached.
 Ebay have screwed it for themselves....

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
Charging us GST on second hand goods is a absolute joke!!... >:(

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 05:22:28 PM »
Nah but the Libs are free marketeers through and through right?  :o
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »
There has always been GST on secondhand goods if the goods are being sold by a business, the only exemption is if the business is small and come under the $75,000 turnover threshold.

Most motorcycle and car wreckers as well as secondhand machinery companies have had to charge GST on sales for 2 decades now
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline miniwheels

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but when you get an item shipped through the Ebay Global Shipping, the tax is 20% or just above for some reason, if you get it shipped via USPS I have found it is 10%.

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
True...I guess I had private sale 2nd hand goods in mind.

There has always been GST on secondhand goods if the goods are being sold by a business, the only exemption is if the business is small and come under the $75,000 turnover threshold.

Most motorcycle and car wreckers as well as secondhand machinery companies have had to charge GST on sales for 2 decades now

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 11:28:46 PM »
What they are doing is  charging 10% GST for the item, plus you are paying the 'ebay global shippings handling fee' so then they gotta charge another 10% on their 'service'. This is how its adding up to 21% or more and they group it all together and call it 'import fees'. if you buy from a seller not shipping by ebay global shipping, you will just be paying 10%

so to make it clearer through ebay global you pay....

item + shipping to ebay global shipping center + 10% on this
plus
shipping from ebay global shipping center to Australia+ i assume they are adding in their 'handling service fee' in this as well, + 10% on all this aswell
so all added up it comes to more than just 10% on the item and shipping, but you are paying 2 lots of 10% basically because there is 2 transactions. The increase if any, is just ebay putting up their handling/shipping/import fees from the global shipping center to Australia.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:36:30 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 12:51:08 AM »
The rest of the world doesn't call Australia treasure island for nothing and Global Shipping is a nasty subterfuge. For a nominal annual subscription you can get US eBay sales delivered to a shopping forwarder for domestic postage/shipping cost (because as far as they are concerned you are American) and then sent with the forwarder adding GST to the invoice value,  or the value you nominate, via anyone of 5 or so carriers that you choose based on a quoted cost/delivery time.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »
Hey Marcus have got a name/s of a forwarder we can use?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
I use MyUS John. They are in Florida and charge me $60 a year subscription. No doubt a west coast mob could be found. MyUS has a 30 day grace period for consolidation and then they charge a small holding fee. BTW had some stuff come from Japan last week; no GST.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 07:09:47 PM »
This whole GST thing on overseas second hand purchases is a fast in my eyes ….. as stated by GMC..... if the company turning over less than $75k per year it does not apply..... # 2.... you have to be GST registered to be able to charge GST

And this is were flea pay comes into it ……take them out of the equation and its happy days
I buy thru the market place these days …… Fork flea pay and its fleecing pay all system plus its  rorting postal system.