Author Topic: Lost and found  (Read 4656 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Lost and found
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »
G'day viewers, I was just wondering how many of you are where you thought you would be at your age you are now ?
My father past away this year and its made me think about the roads we take and the ones we don't, if that makes sense. Thanks, jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Lost and found
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:05:49 AM »
wow deep question Jimson.In respect, it all depends on your out look starting point.I wake up everyday amazed I'm still here and thank God I am.I thought I would be retired by now but am still working but grateful I have a job and that I'm fit enough to work .I honestly should be dead .I Tried to kill myself 20 years ago ,escaped deadly accidents without a scratch,and survived some ridicules crashes on my dirt bike without any major injuries so yea I'm very grateful to be hear at all but as far as "is this where I thought I would be" well I'm miles in front as I'm not DEAD.Hope this helps and sorry your father passed away that must be sooo hard to deal with. Praying for you mate.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 08:28:11 AM »
Deepest condolences Jimson.

I found myself in a similar spot last year as I lost both my parents within 6 months. Both relatively healthy at Christmas 2016, Dad walked into hospital on Jan 1, died Jan 4. Mum June 21.

Certainly makes you take stock of where you are where you are going and more importantly, why.

I would class myself as incredibly lucky based on the stupid things I did in my teens and early twenties that could have resulted in an early demise. Paying with a little wear and tear now but in a pretty good spot, and I guess where I envisaged myself when I was a kid. Self employed ( read unemployable ) with a great wife and great kids.

Still messing around with old dirt bikes despite not having any skill in the riding of them.

Still have shit days. Need to get out bush more on my first ever new bike, but time doesn't permit. Spend most of the good bits of your life working hard for a rainy day only to be unable to enjoy the fruits of your labour when it rains.

I have no answers.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »
Well I have always tried to take up every opportunity, especially as far as recreation goes, be it planned or one of those spontanious  events.
And as a result have had a fantastic life.
There have been a lot of stuff that I have brushed of to do a mundane task like home maintenance or generally getting some shit together which in most cases has led to dissapointment.
I could not say how many times I have told myself that racing sucks as I prepare machines for the upcoming weekend , only to come home with a smile on my face and preparing the same machines with joy the next week.
I guess you have to just be happy with the dish that you serve yourself.
If you know what I mean?  ::) :o ;)

If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies and that would've been very hard to deal with fred99999au there's not much I can say. I'm sorry for your loss and my condolences to you and your family.
I've realised that time is ticking and seeing my Dad pass away and knowing how much hard work he did over the years has made me think I need to knock it back a gear or 2 and apply myself more to what I want and need so in years to come I'm more fulfilled and have peace of mind. jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
Never thought too much about where I would be at this age, still can't believe I'm just short of 60
Been lots of forks and crossroads along the journey of life, many of which could have sent me in completely different directions and most of the turns I took were from fumbling through or journeys forced upon me, very few were planned.
Some health issues are holding me back at the moment (I think if I was a cat I would be nearly out of lives) so just make the most of what you have.

I did think I would have been riding more than I have been though
maybe in 2019
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:39:38 PM »
When I think of it, Im exactly where I thought Id be.  Still  spend way too much of my pay on bikes and ride every day though Im still waiting for that call from Repsol.

Its all how you choose to see life  and how you accept the inevitable. After reading my horoscope the Lotto ball was conspicuous in its absence so I guess I will keep doing what I have done for the last 50ISHH years, smile at the world and ride bikes.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 10:27:55 AM »
l'm about to turn 60, l didn't really think l would live this long, l guess l lived my life as per the ACDC song "shoot to thrill, play to kill, too many women, too many pills".

l wanted to be the next Roger Decoster as a kid, after too many knee operations l then thought l could be the next Barry Sheene, l've since realized that one needs more than just dreams to succeed in motorcycle racing.

l've been with a  couple of great ladies over the years (and some very evil bitches in between), took me 50 years to find the great one l'm with now, it takes time to find the perfect set-up (just like jetting a Hon CR500 ;-)).

l'm happy how things have worked-out; wife had a house (l would have never had a house, racing completely drained me), l have a big shed, a couple of old bikes and a piece of land l can ride on.

Lost my Dad a couple of years ago, sure he had to go some time, but he was taken before his time (doctors f#ck up), my thoughts of him make me think a little different about life but l know he lived his life through my endeavours ..... so party-on Dudes ;-)

Not one part of my body works as it use to BUT l can still circulate on a bike ........ Life is great :-D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:41:37 PM by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 01:21:40 PM »
i'm 55 i wake up some mornings and think the following

- I'm married with 2 kids
- run my own business

How did this happen????

raced bikes hard till i was 30 and then had an epiphany and realised i was driving an old beat up car no money in bank, living week to week in a rented house and blowing all my money on my 5 bikes (i had 6 in garage at one time), snow skiing and live music gigs and piss.

sold a few bikes, stopped racing (this hurt) bought a house and knuckled down for a few years. fast forward to 2003 nearly 10 years and the VMX thing was well under way. thought i might drag my old 1986 CR250RG out for a blatt for a round at barrabool Victoria (my fav track) so i talked Mrs Hoony into going with me, then they cancelled that venue and replaced it with Ravenswood ( another great track) so went with low expectations and ended up  with a few holeshots  and held first for 2 corners in 1 or 2 races and ended up with 2nd overall on the day to a guy 10 years younger and much faster that me.

Yes i got hooked again......

so did a another season then talked a few old mates back into it, restored another old bike that i had (identical 1986 CR250RG) for a mate to ride on for 2 seasons and away we went again, got the idea i should buy a CR500 so i got one and restored it ( never raced a big bore back in the day) got more hooked. did about 5 seasons to about 2009 then wound down again and picked my rides.

getting itching again, no shed to work on bikes yet may next year i will have, they are in storage and the daddy long legs need a home.

would do it all again in a flash if i could build a time machine.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:24:48 PM by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »
I reckon most people who have a fairly 'good' life go by the beautiful old Frank Sinatra song - "I Did It My Way"
I certainly do, as he sings - "regrets,  I've had a few,  but then again,  too few to mention."
Makes me tear up every time I hear it, as it plays at lots of funerals, and I want it played at mine.
In the meantime, between injuries and pains, riding bikes is the best relaxation/mental meditation we motorcycle riders are lucky to have.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 03:05:06 AM »
I stopped maturing at about 14.
My life would be the envy of my 14yo self.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 09:01:27 AM »
im just short of 60, still relatively healthy, father is still kicking at 94 tho he is a modern medicine miracle...bowel cancer, prostate cancer, 3 hips replaced, carpel tunnel, eyes replaced twice, cancerous growths in the kidney and bladder removed, 7 stents in his system, just had a large cancerous mess removed from his scalp and a skin graft to cover it.. just getting the all clear again. He gave up smoking at 35 which i believe is his secret to longevity ::)