Author Topic: remote problems  (Read 3256 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
remote problems
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
  Yesterday we had visitors and when they tried to leave the remote wouldn't unlock their car, and because it's one of those new keyless start things it stopped opening the door as well.  NRMA came and got it going for them and he suggested it may have been caused by the inverter on our solar panels.
  Now this is where it gets interesting, I tried to open my car this morning and the same thing happened, I then tried my wife's remote and it wouldn't work either.  To my knowledge nothing has changed with my, or my neighbours electrics or alarms.  I opened the car with the key, because mine is older technology and it started ok,  away from our driveway the remote works fine. I reparked the car back in the driveway and the friggin thing has stopped working again.
  Any ideas.
    Zane 
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: remote problems
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:10:22 PM »
ET is next door, moved in yesterday....

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
It can happen but the solution is pretty nerdy. RF interference can happen from the inverter so it needs shielding or needs to run on a different frequency. The hard part is working out where in the system the interference is coming from. Can try and isolate it  like does it happen at nite when the inverter isnt running? Probably best to chat to the solar guys as Im sure they are aware of it.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 07:17:33 AM »
  Same neighbours for years,  the solar panels and inverter were fitted back when labor was in power.  Never had this problem until Thursday arvo.
  Neighbours were away yesterday, so I will check with them today, maybe they have a new Hi Fi.  No wonder I like old bikes, old cars and old technology,  this modern crap just pisses me right off.
    Zane

Offline Nebo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »
  It will be most likely Rf Radiation for the Inverter.  As my Job TV/Video and Eletronices Tech.

I will give you some examples.

New Sony TV and AKAI VCR . Lines on tv screen. Power off VCR Problem gone. 
   Bad Designed Power supply. All units sold by Akai recalled.

Example Two.  New Panasonic TV. Lines on Screen and Colour Drop out.
   Caused by Computor Power supply in the next room. Replaced Power Supply OK.

Inverter could be Faulty or not made to Austalian Standards. Proberly made in Asia.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »
  Just tried to unlock the car again after dark when the inverter wasn't working, thinking that if it opened then that would confirm the solar inverter as the problem.  Same this happened, the remote on the key still not working.  I don't know if that clears the inverter or not, might give my electricity supplier a ring on Monday and see what they have to say.
   Zane

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »
My experiences have also observed similar effects to Nebo's accounts. I expect he is close to the money.

Another observation is that your parking arrangement is just as close to your Neighbour's 240v GPO house wiring runs as it is to your's. They are used as a grid to emit annoying frequencies, like that used to deter household pests(Pest Free) for example.

Don't forget the now common PLC option that has replaced long pain in the arse difficult cable runs in properties. The emerging market of PLC signal/data transmission adapters that simply plug into any 240v outlet and then in turn wirelessly transmit to its mating counter part plugged into another 240V outlet in any remote location of the property.

There is a steady stream of Incorrectly/insufficiently shielded appliance power supplies among imports.
Talk to your neighbor about any 240V devise that they may have plugged in recently, as well as yourself Zane.

You are looking for another short range radio transmission. It could be coming from any number of wireless devices:
wireless doorbells
wireless fan systems
wireless headphones
garage door openers
car remote controls
interior WiFi systems
LED lights/down lights etc.

Good luck.     
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:53:19 PM by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »
A good first step to track down the offending devise would be to turn off all of your 240V circuit breakers/fuses in your meter box. If the car remotes come good? turn one circuit on at a time to narrow down the search of the offending device?

If the offending device cannot be found at your property? Ask your new next door neighbor if he would mind doing the same for you?

Who knows until you start ruling things out?, it could even be a failing battery powered wireless doorbell from next door :o
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:21:55 PM by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 08:01:41 PM »
  Well the bloody thing has fixed it's self.  This morning it didn't work and this arvo the damn thing is back working again.  Nothing else around the place has changed but all back to normal.
  Hi Mick Ill give ya a ring tonight.
    Zane

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
i have noticed a similar thing with my car sporadically, aqng i can only put it down to certain areas i park it wont open car (or lock it) and other areas it works from a far distance.....even seems to be different with weather, range seems to be better in cooler weather or
wet weather, when there is more moisure in the air.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »
i was trying to lock the car from a 1st floor hotel room and it wouldnt  >:( so i was about to trudge down the stairs when i remembered a trick i read about putting the fob against your throat and facing the target with your mouth open and f*ck me it locked :o