Author Topic: Used to Race - Not Racing Now - What would bring you back?  (Read 18107 times)

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Used to Race - Not Racing Now - What would bring you back?
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2018, 11:27:25 PM »
There is too much politics and too many rules involved in this recreational sport in good old Stralia. Had my 2 bikes shipped back to Slovakia and get to ride them more there even only spending 2-3 months there every year. Have a 70ties style dirt track just 10 minute ride from where we live. Its always open and entry is free. I can ride there whenever I feel like it  :) :P

Offline Suzukal

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2018, 04:04:31 PM »
Not sure what you mean about too much politics, you'll have to explain that one, but too many rules???
What rules do you think we need to get rid of to make it fun again?

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2018, 10:28:13 PM »
Ive never raced MX, not even as a kid so perhaps i should zip it now but I wont.

Have competed in enduro and scrambles and a stint as a monkey on a GT750 slider and i love getting  lots of air so Im not afraid of dirt. The vibe for the genres enduro etc seemed more  umm, welcoming?  MX  had the sheep station at stake mentality and to some it still does but VMX  seems to have mellowed a lot or riders  and that is I feel good for the sport and thats the key word, sport.

I did consider going for a wobble in the  pro rata races (age etc) though it seems there are not a lot of those.For now I think I will support the racers and wield the odd spanner in the pits.  Most of us old farts have a few war wounds  and try as we might can mix it with the younger guys for maybe three laps but we will pay for it for the next three weeks and still wont be on any podium.

I cant get over the fees though. I mean if I go to the shop and give them money I get a whole freddo frog for it and its in a nice shiney wrapper. I dont need to pay  for insurance to eat the chocolate as I already have that if I manage to choke on it. I dont need to pay someone to tell me how to unwrap it without ripping the foil as Im sure its the same as last years version I already paid for and really, I dont eat freddo frogs every damn day so why should I have to pay someone to tell me what I can and cant do with them every day.

Shoot even the frikking government  comes to the party with vintage club registration so why not this governing body? Its a sport that can and will hurt you and knowing that brings onus. ON US, Be responsible for your own actions to yourself and others.

Im more about enjoying the bikes and the people than the actual racing these days and I will long after VMX has been killed off by MA with the rules and ever increasing fees. Come to think of it, didnt wagon wheels use to be bigger?

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2018, 08:19:27 AM »
Why does "Stralia" use MA?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
Why does "Stralia" use MA?

The short answer is insurance
The first thing everyone thinks of for insurance is for the rider but its actually insurance for the landowner that is needed to be able to secure venues.
With MA the landowner is covered so its easy to go to a farmer and ask to use their land and explain that they will be exempt from any claims.
Secondly its needed for officials for much the same reasons

To say we ride at our own risk is fine for the perfect world but the perfect world doesn't actually exist and when the shit hits the fan their will be someone chasing reimbursement for their bad luck, that's just the reality of it.

And no I'm not part of the MA fan club, getting independent insurance would be great but its just not that easy.

Vinduro's in Victoria are currently being screwed over by MA, we ride registered bikes in State forests which are deemed public roads but now MV want $15 levy for every entrant to cover public liability for events despite the fact that our licenced riders are covered for most insurance by TAC, we just need to cover officials for the odd bushwalker that trips over his shoelaces while jumping out the way.
Non competitive Vinduro's now have more MA fees that races >:(
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »
GMC , to be fair on Ma , nobody is forcing anyone to participate in a MA event . If you want to pay $500 for a license and $100 + to ride each time , it is up to you . You can buy a PE ,Xr or DR with with classic registration ($90 PA )and have lots of hassle free fun in the bush , farmers properties or state forests together with the mates of your choice .
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:25:38 PM by YSS »
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Suzukal

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 06:31:38 PM »
Or, you could race/ride in Victoria, in the VCM series.
MA licence is $330 for the year.  To enter each round is $60.
you have a bike, you turn up, you ride.  Lots of fun, no hassles.

What kind of races are you guys going to that there's politics & hassles that would make you not ride???

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2018, 08:48:18 PM »
GMC , to be fair on Ma , nobody is forcing anyone to participate in a MA event . If you want to pay $500 for a license and $100 + to ride each time , it is up to you . You can buy a PE ,Xr or DR with with classic registration ($90 PA )and have lots of hassle free fun in the bush , farmers properties or state forests together with the mates of your choice .
Where do you get $500 from old son? The MA license is nowhere near that. 500 will get you a license and the entry fee for 3 meetings.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »
"The short answer is insurance"

Wow for $600 we get millions cover and considering insurance is spread across the world for risk keeping costs similar. No wonder MA travel the world and all big events...lol
Embrace patina

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »

That's right, nobody is forcing us to ride in a MA event, nobody is even forcing us to ride nor are they forcing us the breath either, but most of us here have trouble giving up these pastimes.

There are already a lot of us that have registered  PE's XR's or DR's and even the occasional KDX (both Classic and Rec reg, approx $75 PA) but the desire to frolic as a herd means that any more than 20 in a group constitutes a event that requires forestry permission and logically PL insurance as well. No need for a MA license for a forest ride either.
Personally I have my own MX track out the back door and a few K's down a quiet dirt road to state forest but I would much rather ride in new places with many like minded people

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »
"The short answer is insurance"

Wow for $600 we get millions cover and considering insurance is spread across the world for risk keeping costs similar. No wonder MA travel the world and all big events...lol

$600 per event or per year?
Outside quotes that I have seen run around $8k a year and that's for non competitive events.
Love to know what insurance company you use

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2018, 04:02:15 PM »
Geoff,you have to remember that here in New Zealand we don't sue for personal injury due to having a no fault scheme called ACC. That would mean the insurance only has to cove public liability.
VMX in New Zealand runs completely independent of MNZ using their own public liability insurance unless a club decides to run the class at 1 of their events which are always all in races from what I've seen

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
$600 per event or per year?

PER YEAR
Embrace patina