Author Topic: Jumping on 2nd gear??  (Read 2964 times)

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Jumping on 2nd gear??
« on: October 27, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »
G'day all,

I'm having a problem on my 84 XT600 motor that i just rebuilt...1st, 3rd, 4th and 5h shifts and pulls smoothly however this 2nd gear frustrates me due to it's jumping in and out of it and making some growling noise...All the parts that i have replaced are brand new NOS bits with double checking prior to each installation......I don't understand why it's doing this  :( :( ?? Can anyone point me out the right way out of this please?

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping on 2nd gear??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:01:57 AM »
sounds like you have blown 2nd gear and replaced the 2nd gear set but what else has been replaced in the box?checked for wear in the shifter forks,bent shifter fork shafts,shifter drum bearing side/axial play,gear shaft bearings side/axial play,where 2nd gear drives threw dogs check for wear in matching gears,missing shims

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »
Gears jump out because of the dogs on the side of the gears, did you check them for the edges of the dogs being rounded when it was apart?
Growling noise most likely the dogs clashing but not meshing
As mentioned it could also be a bent fork not pushing the gears together properly or endplay
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline 1983_Enduro_YAMI

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 10:46:38 PM »
It seems to make sense for the dodgy dogs...i will just have to take it apart again for further inspection and keep you guys updated...thanks for everyone's help much appreciate it  :D