Author Topic: freakin petrol tanks!!  (Read 1701 times)

mainline

freakin petrol tanks!!
« on: September 07, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »
shit, damn, bloody, *&!!#$#!!! etc.....

Found another c2 tank from a guy in newcastle area, bought it, arrived on friday, looked to be in really good nick with decent perforated tank stickers on it, all brackets, cap etc...

Went to pull the brackets off this arvo to put my fabricated ones on, and every single bolt has the captive nut chewed out and spinning in the tank plastic!!!!!!

I'm thinking of cutting the bolt heads off so I can remove the remains of the bolt while trying to hold the captive nut with a pair of needle nose pliers.

My question for you all is, what glue would you use to try and re-seat the captive nuts in the tank without melting the tank, Sikaflex perhaps?

Ta muchly

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
Re: freakin petrol tanks!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:28:03 PM »
I would use Plastifix, Trimfix or one of it's equivalents. Works like a charm - permanent repair! Used it on some similar plastics today...
A Victorian distributor is
Complete Plastic Welding Supplies
Vinyl Welding & Repairs - New Gisborne, VIC
22 Barringo Rd, New Gisborne, VIC 3438
p: 0418 362482 or
Ph:(03) 5428 3988
Joe near Bendigo
SL175, SL70, XL250S, CT110 collecting bits....

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 05:59:35 PM »
http://www.urethanesupply.com

have a look here. after about 20 minutes of reading i reckon i will get one of these plastic welders.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mainline

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »
Thanks Leith!, there's some great information on that site.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »
did you see the book they are selling about plastic repairs with all the secrets revealed? i ordered a copy. When i had a look at the info on plastic welding i didnt realize how easy and affordable it can be and it has given me new ideas on repairing some damaged plastics that are currently NLA anywhere.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mainline

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:09:43 PM »
I'm still going through the site actually, there's a hell of a lot of useful info there.

It's funny isn't it. Some businesses set up an internet site, put next to nothing on it and expect you to buy their product. I suppose they're thinking the intellectual property is too valuable to lose, although these days the info is out there for everyone to find.

And then you have a company like this one who have realised that good customer service via a website means sharing information. Customers find the site, realise they know what they're talking about, and hey presto, a sale!

Thanks again.

p.s I'm wondering whether the forum should have should have some sort of links page for this sort of stuff? I know it opens a can of worms regarding commercial interests etc :-\

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »
Shouldnt be a problem if its available in public domain, you can quote it, link to it or capture it and republish so long as you acknowledge the source.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/pdf/thebook.pdf
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:22:26 AM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff