Author Topic: Bassani exhaust shield  (Read 14047 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Bassani exhaust shield
« on: October 14, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »
Can anyone tell me the hole dia in the perforated sheet heat guards on the Bassani pipes? I thought it was 3/8 but i am struggling to find 18g (1.2mm) with that hole size. I can find 1.5 or 16g but its a bit thick i reckon. I did find some with 1/4 holes so maybethey used that? I have a sales add and it says the shields were made of 18g. Maybe someone can confirm the thickness as well thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:30:51 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Bassani exhaust shield
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:28:35 PM »
My Mic comes in at 0.344/8.74, Thats complete with paint and a few years of corrosion so Id go with 3/8th

Bit difficult to measure thickness as its edges are folded and I cant get the Mic in there as its too close to the pipe.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:41:18 PM by pokey »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:33:19 PM »
Thanks. I have a lot of photos but its hard to work out the thickness. I can get 9.5mm holes in 1.5mm thickness but i tend to think this would be too thick to fold the edges over. i might see what is out there in 5/16 or 8mm too.

Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:26:34 PM »
Bit difficult to measure thickness as its edges are folded and I cant get the Mic in there as its too close to the pipe.

If you can push something through one hole to hold behind another hole you can measure the depth with the end of a Vernier

My guess would be 1.0 or 1.2mm, I highly doubt they used 1.5mm

Large holes like 3/8" or 10mm would mostly be made with a thick material like 1.5 because most perf is made for industrial applications.

If you really want it to look original then get a piece laser cut or go through the pain and drill a sheet, most of the work is marking out the centers
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 10:00:00 PM »
Good thinkin GMC .
 Via a dodgy pocket knife blade as a backing we get 1.02 as plate thickness.
I dont have a decent hosting account or I could post a pic. I will stick a close up on the Facebook page for perusal.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
Prett much every place i have found so far only lists 3/8 holes in 1.5mm thickness but i was not looking for 1mm though. Just 1.2
Everything i want is always hard to find!
Not keen on drilling hundreds of holes
I will contact some places and see what i can come up with but since you guys think it would not be 1.5mm thick then i wont get that.
By the way i did find a Bassani ad that said the shields were 18G and the pipe cones 22G but the 22g sounds too thin for a pipe so i was wondering if the shield was correct too.

Would you be able to tell me the distance between the centers of the holes too?
Am just not finding anything with 8-9mm holes that is under 1.5mm thick but i am finding a few places that look like they will make anythign you want so i will probably ask them

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:00:12 PM by LWC82PE »

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:43:14 AM »
Prett much every place i have found so far only lists 3/8 holes in 1.5mm thickness but i was not looking for 1mm though. Just 1.2
Everything i want is always hard to find!
Not keen on drilling hundreds of holes
I will contact some places and see what i can come up with but since you guys think it would not be 1.5mm thick then i wont get that.
By the way i did find a Bassani ad that said the shields were 18G and the pipe cones 22G but the 22g sounds too thin for a pipe so i was wondering if the shield was correct too.

Would you be able to tell me the distance between the centers of the holes too?
Am just not finding anything with 8-9mm holes that is under 1.5mm thick but i am finding a few places that look like they will make anythign you want so i will probably ask them

Thanks
Sketch a drawing of the shape and hole positions and have it laser cut.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »
Rectangle 700 x 200 qty 5 or 6. Who would do that?

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 10:02:54 AM »
If you don't have anyone locally to do it I can organize it for you
I would need to know the pitch of the holes in both directions if they happen to be different

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 12:45:55 PM »
Looks like it might be GMC to the rescue then.
I just need to work out the spacing. From what i am seeing around 40% open area is pretty common
Pokey can you check please?

Hopefully this photo show up

This looks right but just too thick
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GALVANIZED-STEEL-PERFORATED-METAL-SHEET-MESH-380mm-X-300mm-10mm-ROUND-HOLES/122029035944?hash=item1c697f51a8:g:vqoAAMXQMXRQ9L2y:rk:10:pf:0
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 12:52:47 PM by LWC82PE »

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »
Rectangle 700 x 200 qty 5 or 6. Who would do that?
There are numerous online laser cutting services.

For other work I have made  templates with a solid margin to allow for welding. Spec your holes as 8 on 16  say: 8 diameter,  16mm pitch.

Stainless steel is more expensive but has properties that might make it a better material choice.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 06:00:03 PM »
I enlarged a a photo on my screen so the holes were about 9.5mm or 3/8 and it looks like the spacing is 16 to 17mm

With laser cutting do you need specify slightly smaller holes than the finished size you want?

I prefer plain mild steel as its to be welded to mild steel pipe at least one anyway. I may make a screw on one fr another pipe.

If you have links to online laser cutters that would be good. I was prepared to by this sheet cut to my required size from USA for around US $27 a piece until i found out 16g 1.5mm? was going to be too thick so if the laser cutting is in that range, a little less or more that would be good if i get what i want.

I am thinking of going with 1.2mm or 18G thickness? I am not exacty sure on that now because the sites i am using are giving conflicting answers on sheet metal gage to mm. One says 16g is 1.2mm and another says 18g is 1.2mm so i am a bit confused now?????

it seems like 3/8 holes with 0.563 (14.30mm) spacing which is 40% open is a industry standard but if the the holes in the Bassani are full 3/8 i think the spacing is more than that but i admit that scaling it off my screen is probably not the most accurate though. With holes around 8.5mm the spacing seems to be around 14.5mm. My gut tells me that since they are US made that the holes would have been 3/8" and not 8.5 or 9mm so this is why i am leaning towards 3/8".

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:08:40 PM by LWC82PE »

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 06:19:59 PM »
LWC82PE have a Google for laser cutters; there are quite a few around the country- or take up Geoff's kind offer.

1.2mm sheet thickness would normally be regarded as 18 gauge, 1.6 as 16 gauge, .95 as 20 gauge.

The laser cutter will cope with far thicker material and the programmer will do the required calculation to get your diameter.

Be aware that the laser cut sheets' hole appearance will be different from the likely punched hole on the original. :)
If you love it, lube it.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:55 PM »
While you can scale close from photos you would be better to go from measurements where you can.
Obviously you want the shields to look like originals so best to get it as close as you can otherwise you could use any old thing.
No ones going to notice whether they are 10mm or 3/8" holes but a different pitch will stand out.

As Momus says 1.2 =18# and 1.5 = 16# however the US may run different specs?

Perf sheet is usually punched out a row of holes at a time, you can get perf made in a turret punch but they will only punch one hole at a time, even though the sheet will be moved around by CNC it is still a slow process and needs to have the right size punch fitted to the machine.

Laser cutting is great for cutting out intricate shapes but there will be a small dag where the laser stops and starts in the hole but it is usually very minor. A plasma will leave a bigger dag
It will produce what ever size hole you draw, any difference is not worth measuring

My CZ heat shields I have laser cut in 1.2

Plenty of laser and water jet cutters these days, water is slower and best suited to thick materials
Most will charge you a programming fee
I get stuff laser cut all the time and draw up my own CAD files, can easily draw up your perf if I have the dimensions and get a quote for you or you can use the file to get your own quotes

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 09:48:08 PM »
Also most places have minimum charges, fair enough when you consider the guy on the fork lift has to get the sheet out of the rack and take it to the machine where it has to be lined up and then the program loaded into the machine.

Its not usually economical to cut a one of but laser cutters are happy to cut any shapes out of the same material so the more bits you need the better.