Author Topic: Suzuki TM125 Front end + Rear shocks  (Read 5320 times)

Offline _Liam_

• Novice
    • View Profile
Suzuki TM125 Front end + Rear shocks
« on: July 14, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
Hi,

I'm in need of a front end for my TM125, I've got the stock triple trees and a set of rusty forks.
I was going to get them rechromed but I've been told stock TM125 forks leave a lot to be desired.

What's the best way around this? Either a TM250 front end which seems to be impossible to find or putting PD valves in stock forks which I assume requires machining of the damper rods or something to make them fit?

What's the best thing to do to have some decent shocks on this little bike?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:03:25 PM by _Liam_ »

Offline GEET550

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki TM125 Front End/Forks Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »

Unless you are doing an original catalogue perfect restoration of the TM125, I would not bother with the effort of rebuilding the original forks. They are essentially the same fork that appeared on the RM100 later in the mid seventies and will bottom continuously with any serious riding. I use TM250 forks on my TM125, and the improvement in handling is enormous. TM 250 forks still do occasionally come up on ebay, but another useful conversion is using Rm125A/B triple trees and forks. The RM forks only differ from the TM forks on one side, with the brake side having a hole machined in the bottom of the fork, for the axle, rather than the clamped up arrangement for the TM. A TM 125 head stem tube will need to be pressed into the lower triple tree to allow the TM 250 or RM triple tree to fit the 125 frame. Alternatively you will have to machine up a spacer. You can also use Rm125 forks in the TM250 triple clamps or machine out the TM125 triple clamps to take TM250 forks/ RM forks (same casting different hole size.) 25 years of racing/ riding and building TM Suzukis has taught me that any of these modifications are definitely worth the effort.   

Offline marsman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:56:32 PM »
We'll from my experience ; unless you really like searching the web every day and paying some ridiculous prices for stuff you will be hard pressed to find  ; start searching for some TC/TS 125 forks of the same era : The tubes ,  are inter changeable  with the advantage of having a three stage pre-load adjustment on the fork tops  ; add $6 worth of coins for "adjustable spacers" on top of the slightly heavier springs and some 20 weight oil (I'm 75kg.)and you will probably find the little TM will do just fine unless you come up against Marty Smith !
I love "tricking up " as much as the next guy  but two things I know for certain A)lose 10kilos of body mass is better than trying to lose 10kg of un-sprung weight B) its better to ride whatever you have than to wait for years to trick your bike up to go fast ,its always been 90%rider10%bike.
My 2cents worth  :)
"I know I was fast once ; but I just can't remember when"

Offline Suzukal

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »
Both RM125 A / B triple clamps are different to the TM250 ones, as well as the forks.
The RM125 A fork may differ only on one side but it’s still different to the TM250 forks.

If you’re going race it, don’t fit any RM triple clamps or forks to your Pre 75 bike.
They're easy to spot & you’ll just bring out the protests.

Offline GEET550

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »
It all comes down to what you want to do with the bike. If you have the standard front end and don't want to spend a lot of extra time, effort and money, do the basics and re chrome the tubes, replace the seals and rebuild the standard forks. You will  have a bike that handles like a standard TM, with all of the performance and short comings of the original suspension. If you start to chase performance and put PD valves into the standard TM125 forks, you are better off , in my opinion, to spend the money on purchasing, rebuilding and fitting the bigger and better TM250 forks. The RM 125 A/B forks and clamps will not be pre 75 legal, as mentioned and look obviously different to the original TM forks and clamps, but they will give you the performance up grade and can be fitted to the TM125 frame, without major modifications. They are just another option, to use if you cannot find TM250 bridges and forks, want a suspension upgrade, but don't intend to race the bike. Another thing to keep in mind with these modifications, is that the original TM125 front wheel hub and brake plate cannot be fitted into the TM250/ RM forks, so you will have to upgrade to a TM250/ RM front hub, brake plate and brake cable as well.       

Offline _Liam_

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »
I intend on racing it,  and just general usage on private property,  I've havnt ridden the bike yet as I've been rebuilding it from a pretty poor state.
Most info tells me that the stock forks aren't too flash,  but so far the only lead on a TM250 front end is from a member on this site for $1750...
I'm thinking the way to go is just send them to RAD hardchrome in qld and use them as is,  and maybe try some valves in them later on.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
i would look long and hard at the tm 250 option. check the bushes in the 125 fork sliders, they are prob canasted and will need replacing. seals, o rings on the caps? its over $200 a leg at radchrome so the 1750 is starting to be caught up on and 2 rides in you will be wanting the 250 FE. you wont enjoy the racing if the forks are sitting on the front wheel all the time.

Offline Eldert

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
i have some 38 mm Suzuki forks laying around . i think they are 81 or 82 . forks have one sliding bush . i have the lower tripple to . upper is missing

Eldert

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
specifically TM250 74/75 forks are the go using TM 250 triples from the same years.
RM triples will not be Ok and a knowing scrutineer will ping you
The first RM forks are shorter by about 20mm in length and have the drain hole in a different spot but are otherwise the same at the TM externally. I never saw the drain hole position as being a problem, some may but that would be overly pedantic to me; quite a few pre 75 bikes have that fork but you have to know what to look for to spot it.
I wouldnt fit TM125 forks to a TM125 if I was going to race it as the TM250 are stiffer, longer travel and the TM250 brake is way better.
DT

Offline _Liam_

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
So I managed to get myself a good tm250 front end which is now in the bike :)
I'm in need of a nice set of shocks for the rear.
what's the best length to use ,  eye to eye,  while using the 250 front end?
 The bike never had rear shocks when I got it so I'm unsure of what is the standard length. I'm assuming the 250 forks would be a tad longer than the 125 forks too...

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Suzuki TM125 Front end + Rear shocks
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »
I intend on racing it,
This means the parts need to be from 1974 model or older.
As said above, no 75 or newer model RM or TM forks/triples.

check part numbers of various parts. If suzuki part numbers are different then the part is physically different in some way
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022