Author Topic: Metal Filler  (Read 650 times)

Offline YSS

• B-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
Metal Filler
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
I have to fill a cavity on a case .( the size of a 20 cent piece and 20 mm thick at the deepest section .) Welding would be one option , but I am afraid of distortion . What is the best filler in your experience , that has good strength and adhesion ?
362 shocks ,where you only  pay for performance and not for names

Offline Curtis

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Re: Metal Filler
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
SUN-FIX
Its a german company, iv used it for many aplications and its amazingly good. Even better than welding in some instances.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
ive used kneed it a few times with great results,the oldest repair done on a tt500 in 1978 and still no leaks.how you prepare the job will make a difference to it weeping or sealing so final wash in washing up detergent,also give it something to lock into like you do when bogging car panels with filler

Offline smalls717

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
Devcon.... really strong, and can be ground / filed  / smoothed.
Its an industrial 2 part filler, They use it on high wear pump cases and the like. Really good.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ Jan 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 04:09:25 PM »
Yep Devcon is awesome, expensive.  I've used it to reduce/reshape inlet ports on my superbikes, can be ground, it never cracked or came away from the alloy.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 05:09:14 PM »
Yep, Devcon is used in Alcoa to repair all sorts of worn steel.  Strong industrial two part stuff.  Expensive, but good quality.
Cheers,

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »
Bog- styrene monomer body filler  works suprisingly well at engine temps.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:25:14 PM »
Thats a fair size hole walter.  Have you considered a blanking plate and gasket? Quite common to use those if removing oil pumps or neutral switched.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 08:36:15 PM »
rapid fix 2 part supa glue. it is a supa glue and a "powder" addition for strength where needed. works great

Offline YSS

• B-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »
rapid fix 2 part supa glue. it is a supa glue and a "powder" addition for strength where needed. works great

I know it is fair size . I want fill the outer web on the case to drill a oil gallery  to feed the outer bearing with premix . ( Converting from pump to premix . )
362 shocks ,where you only  pay for performance and not for names

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
Used JB Weld to blank off the oil pump holes on my TY250, being liquid it flowed where needed & shaped really well once it was set.

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:47:31 PM »
have had good results doing similar jobs using the original slow hardening JB weld ,
but found the fast hardening version of JB weld not so good when I have used it,
and even the data sheets say the fast stuff is not as suitable for high temp etc.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »
Belzona was a similar two part weld a mate used to build up inlet runners on old red motor inlet ports when converting to 12 ports

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 09:55:25 AM »

I know it is fair size . I want fill the outer web on the case to drill a oil gallery  to feed the outer bearing with premix . ( Converting from pump to premix . )
You should show what you want to do to someone who welds bike engines for a living, if it's not to close to a gasket face or a bearing the distortion may not be a problem. My choice with that type of thing is to weld but if not possible I use Devcon FasMetal 10.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 04:26:57 PM »
Fark welding in that area, especially on a horizontally split case. 

The other way to do this without weld or epoxy is drill a true hole  through the transfer into air then into the area between the seal and bearing and tap fit a brass tube carby spigot style. ;)

You would probably get away with nothing or a small groove in the case and bearing outer beside the crank cheek.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:32:34 PM by Momus »