Author Topic: Maintenance fuel tank  (Read 5373 times)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Maintenance fuel tank
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:37:13 AM »
I’m playing around with my old 4 cylinder street bike.
I’m up to the part where I run it up to normal operating temperature and then run it at 1750rpm with no fuel tank in order to access/synchronize the carbs.

Looking around for a little “tank” I had an epiphany: I went to the local mower shop and paid $10 (everyone happy) for a tank off an old whipper snipper. Seems perfect.
(I’d previously tried to buy a tank for a model plane/car, but most are electric now, and the outlet wouldn’t be the perfect size....)

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Maintenance fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »
Perfect, I now have a use for part of my old whippet snipper????

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »
maaate dont your remember the hot setup for carb synching?? old victa mower "barrel" tank strapped to a removalist trolley with gauges on a hook set up and hooks for all the tubes and tray for all the bits and pieces

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Motion Pro Sync PRO. POS
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:00:11 PM »
Just a warning.
It would appear the “Motion Pro” “Sync Pro” tool is of no use on a UJM (Bandit 1200).

(Box has tiny  internal warning “max vacuum rating 40cm HG”)
Can’t find the Bandits expected rating in Haynes or Factory workshop manual. I’m thinking more than 40cm HG......
Waste of money. Completely disappointed.

Probably never buy another MP product again on principal.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
40cm HG sounds like a lot of vacuum to me.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »
40cm HG sounds like a lot of vacuum to me.

That’s the rating of the “tool”.
Further research would indicate the rating (max vacuum) is reduced as the fluid evaporates over time.
Mine is NIB, But bought a while ago. If I was to persevere with this tool. (Unlikely) spending more and topping the fluid up would be my next move.

A work colleague has offered me the use of some vacuume gauges.

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
That's what I was saying. 40cm of vacuum seems to be a lot of vacuum to me. What level of vacuum are you expecting to see on this engine?

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
Check out you tube for manometer and make your own and use water as its more responsive. will cost you a few lengths of CVT.

Ive used it on Moto Guzzis for years. just add a few more bottles for more cyls.
 I use VOSS glass water bottles from woolies and a few drops of blue food colour.

Much more accurate than any of the dial tools.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »
That's what I was saying. 40cm of vacuum seems to be a lot of vacuum to me. What level of vacuum are you expecting to see on this engine?

I wasn’t expecting an actual reading. (And can’t find one anywhere.)
I just wanted to check the “balance” of the carbs.

The basis behind the ineffective tool is:
You hook all the 4 tubes up to one carb. “Calibrate” it so the vacuum sucks the fluid up to the same level in each tube. (This is done by varying the sealed air volume with adjustment screws)
Hook one tube to each carby.
Adjust the carbys until all have the same vacuum. (No specific vacuum, just all the same.)
The “40cm” is the limit the tool is expected to handle. So, it should work on the old Bandit1200. But it doesn’t.

It’s a common adjustment. Originally utilizing actual Mercury (very heavy) in the tubes. Mercury being a little* toxic is basically considered too dangerous. The stupid design of the “child safe” setup involves thinner/lighter liquid in sealed tubes and restrictors to replace the much heavier Mercury. It doesn’t work.

* Very?

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »
mercury is fine as long as it isnt exposed to air...always keep it under water or oil. once exposed to air, even at room temperature it evaporates into the air you breathe quite effectively. i knew a bloke who was badly poisoned when a few kilos of Hg made its way into the solution tank of a CIL leach reactor (runs at boiling temp) and he was working in the room running the plant when he started to feel crook. it took a year or so but he came good with various treatments...still has hair as well! so its not a death sentence but not advisable under any circs.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »
We had Mercury out of a thermometer as kids - used to roll it around in our hands.
Maybe thats why I can’t spell - brain damage.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 06:36:42 PM »
We had Mercury out of a thermometer as kids - used to roll it around in our hands.
Maybe thats why I can’t spell - brain damage.
I was going to say the same thing, we had mercury in jars at school, used to get it out and roll around the table during science...

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 08:02:25 PM »
the understanding of its detailed effects on people is a work in progress. i have swallowed Mercury after biting a thermometer many moons ago.... its wierd stuff. there is a mercury mine on the goulburn river where it used to run freely into the river