Author Topic: Champion rider Toby Price wins Finke motorbikes title for the sixth time in 2018  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
From the ABC News website:

Former Dakar champion Toby Price has been crowned king of the desert, after winning a record-breaking sixth Finke Desert Race motorbikes title.

More than 100 cars and 500 motorbikes raced from Alice Springs, along a rough dirt track to the small community of Apatula — formerly known as Finke — and back again over two days.

The champion rider finished the gruelling 460-kilometre course in 03:55:25.1.

It was a precision ride for Price, who recorded a time difference of only six seconds between his two days riding the course.

He said the record-breaking title was sweeter than his previous wins.

"Fingers crossed the sixth stays there for a while, if I don't come back and do it on the bikes again, I don't want anyone beating that anytime soon," Price said.

However, the victory was bittersweet.

Price was attempting a double-win, in both the car and motorbike divisions, but was forced to forfeit the former when his trophy truck had a mechanical failure.

"It's a bummer, it would have been nice to try and go one-one with the thing," he said.

"It is what it is. Nothing really should be made to go at speeds like that across that terrain.

"It's understandable that things break and things happen."

Hospital staff in Alice Springs were kept busy, with almost forty people presenting to the hospital with injuries.

Thirty-two competitors were injured and 14 spectators suffered minor injuries.

There were no life-threatening injuries, with the majority of the patients requiring treatment for joint dislocations and fractured arms or legs.

Tex

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Wow, that's like pretty serious,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Well done Toby Price  8)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
An absolute legend TP ;) ranks with the Cairoli and Herrling show in world mx in my book. TP is one of the few people on earth who can hold a big bore wfo all day :o

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
460 k, in the scrub in 3 hours 55.

Do the math and thats what makes him a legend

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Someone had a crack on a IT465 but didn't finish. Another guy did manage to finish on an XR250 though (don't know what year).

Tex

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
i dont rekon there would be a worse bike for whoops than an it 465...thats just my opinion. we used to play the blue team at the sea lake rally pretty well and push em into the whoops too fast and watch them go over the bars...worked every time. some thing to do with an unloading top heavy shocker and a sudden decreasing steering geometry it was explained to me once...just had to get alongside and pull the clutch and rev the engine and the red mist would hit and three bumps later it was all over... those were the days. ::)

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
seen this on another web site
Finke 2018 feature doco -- with 6 x King of the Desert ..
 7mate - Wednesday 4th July at 3pm, replay on Saturday ..