Author Topic: Broadford Bike Bonanza 2018  (Read 19616 times)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Re: Broadford Bike Bonanza 2018
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
Im only 36 and Im too lazy to ride that track on a old bike, can only imagine what it feels like at 50+...haha.
Dont quote me I havent done any statistical analysis, I just mean the line up on the grid for pre 95 is large compared to some of the earlier classes.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »
I ask the question only out of interest. I see a lot of Pre-95 bikes however multiple bikes seem to be owned by the same rider. Having lots if bikes at an event doesn't pay the running costs, multiple entries do. Build the right classes, provide the right environment and utilize the right track and you cant loose. This seems to be getting missed.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »
last time i went i rode the track on a 400 enduro with 10" travel and it was fun until a short kicker jump which had a real splat landing hard down onto a flat ground gave  me a jolt in the shoulders and wrists every lap. On an old cr 250  greenback!!?? i couldnt entertain the thought at all. yet a youngish bloke the year before flogged an old bsa mx bike around there like he was mr mx. its the age factor i think. a lot of keen vmxer's over the last 10 years are hurting more and looking at vinduro short track etc.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 08:58:04 AM »
As per previous comments the main track is for the fit and fast, I did try to tell them many years back they they need to make another track in the old channel 'O' area and build it as an amateur track that would not only suit the old bikes but also everyone else that needs a 'stepping stone' before progressing to the main track. It would need to be made properly and with mulch as every skerrick of top soil has disappeared from this area.
Trouble is they have too many advisors and it wouldn't be long before some dickhead wants to build doubles on it!!

The dirt track and road race tracks are always busy but I think it is because they don't have a lot of choices for rides whereas MXers can ride anywhere so tend to be more choosy.

Once again the food supply was piss poor around the MX / swap meet area, like nothing,
It does seem like the MXers aren't considered
I chose to drive into Broadford township for a pie and coffee rather that have to drive to the road race track, find somewhere to park, walk half a K to the canteen then join a long queue.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 10:02:30 AM »
  "some dickhead would want to put doubles on it" -hahaha gold !!! we travelled from north nsw a couple years ago and loved the weekend but the "pre 78" track was pretty ordinary (skatey/dusty) in a good area and could be great with mulch and prep etc (and no doubles !????

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
It is an OK event, if you are into “Show and tell”. ::) I did a couple of them years ago. The road racing is always well displayed and frequented and worth a look. Speedway was OK, if you are into it. But myself with a VMX back ground, I wished every time I was somewhere else. The track was neglected every time and moderns and classics where on the track together. (Always went there, because initially I believed it was a classic event) I think if you live very close to Broadford, then it is OK for a ride. But when you are doing a 2000 km round trip and pay hefty entry fees, then it is hard to justify. Those days we load the trailer with the bikes, lead squirters, Esky’s and swags opting for the Flinders or a farmers property. A lot of riding fun and freedom for a long weekend without any politics and good people you can choose to be around with.  8)
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 09:49:13 AM »
You guy's are right  :-)

I think there is still hope for the Victorian vmx scene.  Sure the Broadford mx track has been worn down to the bones from all the years of use, I think most Vic vmx riders know that and that's one reason why they don't ride out there,  although I think Viper had a great turn-out at a recent race meeting there?

Good turn-outs for Classic Dirt & VMX Expo in other states; which is in the same vein as the Bonanza, I guess the main difference a nice flowing grass-track verses 'one-line, mud, dust, mud' track at Broadford?

I reckon the rally-cross track, over where the supercross track was, should be graded with a few crests so old riders & bikes can get some gentle air.  If a grader can get around it then so can a water-truck (and old riders ;-) ).  A water-truck is the only real answer for motocross tracks; it gives constant coverage with the labour of only 1 person.

I will talk again to Rob Mestrom to see if we can organize a 'steering Committee' to offer constructive ideas.
a proper VMX friendly track out there would be amazing

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 06:55:17 PM »
The Mx track was extremely good Saturday morning, there was hardly any dust, it was super tacky and fun.....then the sprinklers came on and slaughtered the best conditions i have experienced at Broadford. The young lads that obviously spin a lot of laps and are fit were super impressive pounding out fast laps. But for the average punter like me that hardly rides it takes the fun factor out of it when the sprinklers water random sections that destroy it. I am always one to jump on a hose and water the needed bits at any track over the years, i almost wonder if hoses would be a better option there. Thanks to all involved that made the effort for track prep for us, track was insane until sprinkler warfare.
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline BSA-B5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 10:09:26 PM »
I was a corner steward on Saturday & Sunday, it makes for a long day when only a doz bikes riding the track, its has been discussed for next year 2019, the main track to be used for modern bikes and a club that caterers for moderns to take control of it.
The pre 78 Track over near speedway will be up graded to suit the older bikes. Ross martin will take the recommendation that has been put forward to him to the next MA meeting. one can only hope that this idea will take shape, otherwise the  MX track will die and won`t be used.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:28:08 PM by BSA-B5 »

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 10:08:07 PM »
Won’t modern MX bikes be contrary to the theme, that the Bonanza is for the older bikes?

Offline BSA-B5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37:59 PM »
Yes it may, something needs to change Rosco86, the numbers have dropped write off, with the mx track.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
F that :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »
They've lost the plot if they intend to go down this path.
It's probably too logical to want to just build a track that guys would love to ride :o
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »

The only sensible thing to do is turn the track into a track that will suit pre 90
        You know like Take the top off the jumps just push it into the low spots to get
        rid of the bog holes at the bottom make it more user frendly .
        Why change the Pre 90  rule when it would be easyier to change the track  .   

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »
Jumps are relatively tame at Broadford. Classic track for Nationals at Pirie last year was jumpier. Broadford could do with a deep rip, some harrowing and then being sown if the aim was to make to make it more Pre 78 friendly.
If you love it, lube it.