Author Topic: Frustrating! Any ideas?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Frustrating! Any ideas?
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:58:40 AM »
OK Huskyphiles, here's a curly one (hopefully it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees).
I have a 1977 CR390 engine causing me some mental trauma in that I cannot get the shift system to go back to the neutral position after selecting a gear, it just stays put. I started with NOS cases, they virtually fall together during assembly so no misalignment there. I have had all shafts fitted with & without gears, all together & individually, all are free & move easily. I have had 3 different shift shafts, shift quadrants, shift locator & shift drums in with no success. The indent pointer & spring are also NOS. Even with just the shift shaft, locator, indent pointer & quadrant fitted & cases closed up, it just selects but does not return to the neutral position, there seems to be no tension on the spring (I've tried 3 different springs). I have done lots of these engines & even a 250 just yesterday morning without coming across this before. It's doing my head in as it's a very simple system. Any help/info much appreciated.
Cheers,
K

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating! Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:03:49 AM »
gear lever isnt fouling the cases??

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:33:22 AM »
Engine on the bench, gear lever hasn't even made it into the equation other than to test the mechanism.
K

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
Does it do it with no clutch basket in place?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project.
Kawasaki A4 125 78 for sale

Offline ralph311

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »
A shot in the dark.... could there be a lack of float when the cases are tightened? An easy check could be to temporarily install two centre case gaskets and see if it improves.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
Well, I finally found the issue after LOTS of mental trauma & I'm a dickhead!. Out of frustration I got an old set of cases & was about to transfer everything into the LHS case & put the RHS case on the floor at my foot. As I put it down I noticed something & began swearing at myself. NOS cases don't come with anything in them, they are bare cases. I was onto the bush for the shift indent pointer but didn't think about the long pin in the RH case which locates the shift spring, it's not there, doh! A trap I will not fall into again.
Cheers,
K

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 09:36:45 AM »
That happened with some 77 125 cases I had too .

Offline Curtis

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
Isnt working on old bikes fun...