Author Topic: Need help with 240 volt tig welder selection please  (Read 19448 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with 240 volt tig welder selection please
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
 Quote.  I still pay the $240 year rental on the E size argon as I go through a bit and it is about half the price for the gas in the big bottles.

Sleepy it's probably worth getting in touch with BOC about changing to a size G cylinder.  At the moment they are doing deals on both the small size D cyl as you mentioned but also with the large size G.  I signed up last year for the G for $249 rent per year but that includes a free cylinder swap each year as well as giving me a free cyl when I signed up. This means 2 free swaps in the first year and one per year after that, I just have to remember to swat the first one over before the end of July, whether it's empty or not.  This may be for new customers so you might have to close your old account when your current cyl is empty and then sign up for the new deal.
  Let us know how you get on.
                                         Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 09:42:11 PM »
Ac Dc inverter  pulse WSME 200 tig  ( pro weld product )      Yes its made in China, but it has served me well over the past 8 years and very pleased with its
performance      S/steel ...aliminium ... magnesium ...mildsteel .

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 12:51:43 AM »
Quote.  I still pay the $240 year rental on the E size argon as I go through a bit and it is about half the price for the gas in the big bottles.

Sleepy it's probably worth getting in touch with BOC about changing to a size G cylinder.  At the moment they are doing deals on both the small size D cyl as you mentioned but also with the large size G.  I signed up last year for the G for $249 rent per year but that includes a free cylinder swap each year as well as giving me a free cyl when I signed up. This means 2 free swaps in the first year and one per year after that, I just have to remember to swat the first one over before the end of July, whether it's empty or not.  This may be for new customers so you might have to close your old account when your current cyl is empty and then sign up for the new deal.
  Let us know how you get on.
                                         Zane

My body/back complains about the weight of the E size when it's time to take it for a refill so unfortunately a G is out of the question. I may end up going down to the D form Bunnings as I have done for my Oxy/act or perhaps Boc. I got a D argoshield for the Mig from Boc this time and will see how it costs out. The gas in the D is double the cost of the E but for $108 a year you get 1 free fill.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 10:24:01 PM »
  BOC. I signed up last year for the GIANT for $249 rent per year but that includes a free cylinder swap each year as well as giving me a free cyl when I signed up. This means 2 free swaps in the first year and one per year after that.
                                         Zane

Thanks Zane. Immediate money saved is king. This is the way I will be going if still available. One free "Giant" fill a year included in $249 rent is good. Gasweld is $199 for a Giant fill.

1-How much for a fill if I use heaps and require spot fills/exchanges?

2-what if I want to return the bottle anytime? Is there a penalty?

Cheers, Mick.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:28:08 PM by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 10:40:05 PM »
Ac Dc inverter  pulse WSME 200 tig  ( pro weld product )      Yes its made in China, but it has served me well over the past 8 years and very pleased with its
performance      S/steel ...aliminium ... magnesium ...mildsteel .

Thanks Oldfart, 8 happy years is a good run considering nearly everything affordable comes from China anyhow. That is a cheap run too, but already have the uniming on the way with 3.5 years warranty? cheers.

Good choice Mick. I've just gone and had a look at mine and it is a Unimig.

use 5% Mg rods as I believe motorcycle components have a certain amount of Mg in their makeup, but Geoff would know more about this and may be able to offer some input.

If you've oxy welded aluminium you will have no trouble at all tig welding it - can't wait to see some of your work.

Thanks Pete, nothing like added Pressure  ;D ;D Yeah I hope it turns out to be a good choice. Stayed up most of that first night reading opinions etc from all over the web,,, they seem to have a great wrap and are rebranded as others. Order done  :)
Nice to know 5%mg works for you. I will be trying it. Cheers.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
Whilst I am sure Pete will help with advice Mick I throw a bit in as I have done the big fin head myself. I used 20x3 flat bar cut roughly to length. Best to give the edge you are welding a quick run over with a flapdisk. Prepare everything and do a dummy run clamps etc all ready to go. Pre heat the head till when you spit on it, it sizzles. I would use a 2.4 tungsten and 10mm shroud set the square arc to narrow to help stop the tip boiling, Run the gas a little higher around 18 to help cool the tip.
The welder looks fine to me , I have a correct 15amp power outlet for my welders.

Thanks Mick, I was hoping you would weigh in 8)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 10:51:15 PM »
I started alloy tig welding about 40 years ago using one of these.
http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0004-5000686/engineering-and-toolmaking/sheet-metal-welder-emf-pilot-arc-6-5-kva-150-amps-415-volt-3-phase-po
Add says 150 amp but they are actually 200 amp, a few years after buying my first one I got a second and joined them together and had a 400 amp AC high frequency welder.
They were in service doing repairs on mainly Harley engine cases and heads up until about 5 years ago when I picked up a new 350 amp inverter machine that was made in China and it has worked well in that time.
I stopped doing the Harley shit just after buying the new welder as I just got sick of welding and dealing with the shops.

A good 200 amp welder sounds like it will do all you want but the foot pedal are really only good if you can sit at a welding table, I have one with the new welder but hardly use it.
Someone was talking about filler rod earlier. You will need atleast 3 types if you are to play with bike stuff. I mainly use 5% silicon on cases as it is the lowest melting point, the 5% mag is the strongest and machines better but is more prone to cracking on cooling, pure magnesium also comes in handy but it is expensive and hard to get.
With the Gas. Boc do a deal with the D size[small] bottles where you pay $108 rental a year and get 1 free fill of gas a year. Bunning have it now as well with a $200 refundable deposit on the cylinder and no rental. I still pay the $240 year rental on the E size argon as I go through a bit and it is about half the price for the gas in the big bottles.

Good luck and do plenty of practise before doing your big fin head.

Valuable! thanks Sleepy 8)
Your not going to believe this,,, I have one of those EMF "pilot Arcs" buried in the shed,,, did a lot of steel etc with it in the day, then bought it of my employer when we decommissioned the site. Still no 415v power at home though ::) ::) ::) ::) see if I can get close enough for a pic,,,

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:57:08 PM by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 11:04:59 PM »
Exactly the same welder Sleepy ;D
Great welder for steel... loved it.
My dream is to live long enough to restore it when I move to a new place with 415.

Thanks Sleepy

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 11:32:57 PM »

They still seem to pull good money. 2 on Gumtree ATM for $700 each.

Mine had a seperate HF box for Alloy welding.. it was missing when I went to pick it up.... >:(  >:( life is full of theives  ::)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 12:01:26 AM »

They still seem to pull good money. 2 on Gumtree ATM for $700 each.

Mine had a seperate HF box for Alloy welding.. it was missing when I went to pick it up.... >:(  >:( life is full of theives  ::)
They originally had the HF built in. The switch on the front turns it on and off and there are points that arc attached to that panel just above the switch. There were seperate HF unit available which may have been used if the built in unit failed. I have a seperate AC/DC convertor for my one which enabled DC TIG for stainless steel.
They are a fantastic arc welder even compared to modern welders. Pity no 415 power.
Local welding shop years ago keep getting complaints from a female welder that the HF from these old things if poorly adjusted would shock her through her tits if she got to close to the job. Had a friend touch the work when the HF was on years ago with my one and he thought he was going to die, I must have gotten used to it as it would give me a bit of all the time. It is only 3000 volts don't understand why they didn't like it.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 12:14:09 AM »
Arhh, Ok thats what the box was,,, an AC/DC converter,,, because I was making S/S boat tanks at work :)

I got a lot to do,,, hope I live for another 40 years ;D ;D ::)

I love the way you worked in the story about the Tits ;D ;D ;D ::) well done Sleepy :D 8)

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »

Had a friend touch the work when the HF was on years ago with my one and he thought he was going to die, I must have gotten used to it as it would give me a bit of all the time. It is only 3000 volts don't understand why they didn't like it.
[/quote]
Now I know why your hair grows so well.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 12:40:00 PM »
Ive got a BOC smooth arc, its oky doky and yep its made in china, you can buy them from BOC now for $1,163 ( and yes I paid more for mine) just out of interest has anyone welded aluminum with DC ?
what electrode types do you guys use ? Ive been using zirconiated

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 03:50:51 PM »

Mick, pretty sure I've got one of those boxes at my other house - you're welcome to it if you want it,
Pete.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
Ive got a BOC smooth arc, its oky doky and yep its made in china, you can buy them from BOC now for $1,163 ( and yes I paid more for mine) just out of interest has anyone welded aluminum with DC ?
what electrode types do you guys use ? Ive been using zirconiated

Pretty sure DC is no good for alloy. I think from memory(which is not to good) it has something to do with need to break down the oxide layer on the ally.
Zirconiated is for aluminium and thoriated for S/steel or steel. There is a newish one around I think is muriated which will do both. Haven't tried the muriated as I like to stick with things I now which is probably why I only upgraded my welder a few years ago.