Author Topic: Thread sert  (Read 7568 times)

Offline michael

• Novice
    • View Profile
Thread sert
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
Maybe thread set, nut set,  thread inserts like a pop rivet with a thread in it, anyway I've got one in a swingarm with a bolt in it and the lot of it turns in the mount, any  body got any good ideas on how to either remove it or get it to fix in place so the bolt can be removed. I have tried loctite superglue and loctite stud loc, neither method worked, help
It's the problems in life that provide the answers

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Thread sert
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
Got a photo of it? steel or alloy swingarm? Hard to say with out seeing it. You might have to cut it out or grind metal away from around it, get it all out and fix it all up again. If the insert is same material as surrounding metal it might be possible to get a spot of weld on the insert and weld it to surrounding material so it holds?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline michael

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 03:02:54 PM »
Steel insert in alloy swingarm this is the upper chain guide mount on KTM 504, was rather hoping for some sort of magic fix

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
Can you “pull”the screw?
Like riveting it again. Ideally with something like the original pliers. I’m thinking maybe a slide hammer.

Might:
1. Break the “lock” in the thread.
2. “set” the “nut” and stop it turning.

Short of drilling it out, I think removing it is going to be difficult. Even drilling it might leave the expanded section rattling inside the Swingarm

Offline michael

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »
Tried to pull the nut head 10mm with vice grips, didn't work, manages to brake the brake lever, I did see youtube make your own crimp using a bolt washer and nut to squash the insert, but I cant get the bolt out. Like your idea, may be pinches and give it a good squeeze cheers

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 07:36:12 PM »
Is there enough of the insert showing that you could anchor the bolt with spanner and tap the insert with centre punch to unscrew it?

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »
Make sure you check the linkage on the 504 a mate has one and it cracked and lucky a guy noticed it before his next race , he got a bigger and better billet one made up , he talked to another club member a  ktm guru and said the ktm two strokes are prone to breaking to .

Offline michael

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:32:32 AM »
Mick25 is that the link on the shock mount to swingarm, mine appears to have been welded up, I purchased a spare frame and some bits and pieces in good nick off gumtree. Dont the thread sert is countersunk , tried to center punch around it to squeeze it up, no joy. A mate suggested putting a rattle gun on it and spin it till it bites or melts out cheers

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 07:24:12 PM »
I used a rotary burr on my ktm swingarm nutsert.The bolt corrodes on the inside of the Swingarm and you will never get it out.It takes time to burr it out and make sure you cut it in half towards the end so you can get the pieces out of the swingarm.I replaced them with stainless steel nutserts and lots of neverseize.

Offline michael

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 06:39:20 AM »
Hey Moto is the burr, a burr grinder like a Dremmel, may be the rattle gun idea, melt the bugger out weld up the hole and start again. cheers

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
Its like one of these
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »
  Mick 25  check your personal messages.
            Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.