Author Topic: Honda XL250s Rocker box  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Honda XL250s Rocker box
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
Chasing a good rocker cover with good rockers in it. Its bordering impossible to remove the rockers  :-[

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Honda XL250s Rocker box
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »
bit unusual Curtis,are the spindles rotating in the cover?,(or rockers seized to them),maybe a fair bit of oven heat allover,then jar the cover on a block of wood see if that moves them outwards enough to grip them?? :P
ps what year??
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:10:50 AM by matcho mick »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:44:09 AM »
each rocker shaft has a pin like dowel that runs through them, they are a absolute nightmare to remove. Iv tried everything!! It would be much easier if I could just find the complete cover ready to drop on.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »
Yes Curtis, you are exactly right in all regards  :D ;) And yes when the rocker shafts start to move back and forth with the rocker they wear out the little square section seal on the end and start pissing out oil.

Same setup as the XL500S

There is another way of removing those lame locking pins if your measuring skills are precise.
Measure, centerpop and drill a fractionally smaller hole in the outside/above of the rocker box. Right above the locking pin,
then they can simply be tapped out with a pin punch. Just use some metal/bog putty to fill the hole in when all your servicing and repairs are done.

Or as you said,,,,,,,,,,,,,, find a rocker box that hasn't suffered the same failure Yet  :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:09:14 AM by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
ah twin exhaust port XL,yeah shrouded recessed dowell pins are a bastard to get at purchasewise,tip, really big vice grips & effing lots of heat for them,M de  be drilling  exhaust pin access hole for awhile mate,directly over the integral head mount lug,(lots of swarf generated there LOL) suck it up Curtis  ;), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »
may have 1 will see what nick its in

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
Tried heat, lube, welding a nut on the end and in the end got one out with the punching through a hole method, (someone had already done this before as there was a putty filled hole already there). But there are 3 more to do, as I was pulling some good rockers out of a CB250rs cover first.
I'd still prefer to find another complete replacement if possible.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »
nah no good got 2, 1 is flucked in every way ( why I'm keeping it concerns me) and 2 is all good except the rockers
I personally have not replaced any rockers on the S models yet so am concerned
any who how hot did you get the bastard dowel pin? I would suggest red hot as I say that the aluminum that surrounds it is a concern
another thought is to use a slide hammer I also say this with caution as the 1 that is flucked has aluminum chunk missing where some one got it wrong