Author Topic: Scam at another level  (Read 4452 times)

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
Scam at another level
« on: November 29, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
Nearly fell for a scam that would have cost the business lots and I mean lots(more than 1000 sets of shocks and parts ) . It goes like this : I have a  shipment ready in Thailand waiting to be shipped . As always we transfer the funds when the final Proforma invoice gets E-mailed from the factory . Same yesterday , normal procedure . I checked all the figures and then forwarded it to the bank for TT processing . Then I get a call from the bank , asking, if I am sure to proceed . Why not , I said. " The beneficiary and account has changed just slightly" from the usual data ,the manager said . Hmm , I will check . Sure enough .  I called the factory  and asked to send me another copy by fax >  All the numbers and letters where as usual  and not like the E-mailed version .Hmm that when the alarm bells went off ....My IT people and the IT people on the other end started searching . To cut a long story short , a very professional hacker organisation  has entered the Thai server and blocked my account and the factories account . Then they intercepted all mails , modified them and then forwarded them both ways as normal mails . Now it made sense why the mails took more than 30 minutes every time, lately. It was done so well , I fell for it and only thanks to the alert person at the bank, the funds were not lost . Just proves, those people are getting better and better at it. Finding them would be nearly impossible . A bloke that robes a bank would get 10 years and those people would only get a slap on the wrist ( if ever caught) Funny imbalanced world we have now ...
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Scam at another level
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:28:18 PM »
Wow, that is sophisticated!
Up a few steps from “Dear custimor, please click this link to confer you’re identity”.

Well done: the bank!

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »
scary!..although they do get more than a slap on the wrist. But very difficult to catch.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Great story and amazing scam. The Thais are pretty good at that sort of thing. I bet you will be doubling down on your security after that one.
I nearly got scammed in Thailand as a young backpacker with the old blue sapphire switcheroo..

Cheers,

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
Alex, that’s not the most common scam in Thailand!

“I got picked up by a really hot girl in Thailand.
She drove me back to her place.
She reverse parked the car in one smooth movement, and I thought ‘wait a minute!!’ “

:)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »
then she looked at her watch....a big gold rolex....and you noticed how hairy her arms were :o

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
I think id rather get taken by the blue sapphires than the blue veiner  :o  :o

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »
Yes there are a few of them as well . But that is nothing compared  to the big picture . The whole country runs on bribes , fear and scams . Hard to find the honest ones , without loosing the lot . In my travels I found the ones to watch out for . The give away is long shoes , handing out generous tips when with friends  , good English  and usually smooth as . 
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »
Mate bought a new computer, he had set up problems and rang the number on the box for tech support. Long story short, scammers had intercepted the number and got access to his computer and held him to ransom. Lucky for him it was still under warranty.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:34:34 PM »
Pretty crook when a new computer is loaded with virus/spyware before you get it out the box,now that's scam on a new level!!!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 11:58:42 PM »
There have been several instances where solicitors and conveyencers email accounts have been hijacked , with very large sums of money exchanged for property purchases. Big purchases best not to reply on emails, back to snail mail, calling  or faxes

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/oct/21/couple-lose-120000-email-hacking-fraud-legal-sector
Jesus only loves two strokes