Author Topic: BSA B50, Cheney, CCM Pre 75 Reference.  (Read 11182 times)

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: BSA B50, Cheney, CCM Pre 75 Reference.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
Hmmm ... one thing an old CCM is not ! They were built to be raced. They would be a royal PITA for trail riding.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
ha,remember Levo's CCM on  250 rego (SL125  ::)),think Paul last raced it at Jilliby when Michael Coombes on the monty was out here,(bitd) :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 12:48:34 AM »
It's worth asking Mark, just in case he has one in stock. If you are going to fire an email off, do it today as they are both off for a couple of weeks sun catching .....

Grouty, received the following from PES:

"With regards to the 73 frame, our are slightly different to Grouty’s due to strength issues. C500 is the part number and costs £2500.00 UKP and a picture can be found on our website.

With regards to frames, we do not take orders or deposits because some people get upset if dates are missed, but if someone expresses an interest we will make it as soon as we can and if they still want it, it is theirs."

I have some '73 Cheney dimensions now so will have a look at that.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 02:42:51 AM by Momus »
If you love it, lube it.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 08:50:43 AM »
If you are planning on building your own frame Marcus, make sure you show us with pictures ..... lots of them.

Have you looked at Faber Frames ? Local-ish to me and they are very very nice. Not CCM or Cheney, but still good.

http://www.faberframes.com/
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 05:13:03 AM »
If you are planning on building your own frame Marcus, make sure you show us with pictures ..... lots of them.

Have you looked at Faber Frames ? Local-ish to me and they are very very nice. Not CCM or Cheney, but still good.

http://www.faberframes.com/

Thanks for that. I spoke to Howard and Miles about their frames a few weeks ago and agree they are well made and with the right provenance. Not wanting to be critical of any of the blokes, but build and delivery time from the UK is an issue. I have the bender tools and other gear so will give DIY go.   Pictures will  start with a shots of a few lengths of steel tube, a headstock tube on my fixture and a set of cases.

I have picked up another B50 engine for core parts so will be able to keep the existing matching numbers bike I have intact. Despite the rear frame stays having been butchered it is in better knick than I thought.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 05:57:40 PM »
Ok a bit of an update after this B50 powered  project languished for 3 years.

The frame has been made from 4130 tubing and loosely follows the early 60's and 70's pre CCM style of special frame for the Beezer unit engine. The big difference is that this one has no oil tank or oil in the frame for the dry sump. One of the photos shows an oil pump that I made to convert it to a wet sump. The sump itself fits in place of the standard  coverplate/pickup arrangement and will hold about a litre. I had to weld the crank case to re run the oil gallerys and to organise a spur gear drive in place of the worm and pinion of the OE 2 stage pump.
Engine itself is 92 mm bore and because my parts engine for this had no crank I'm making one. I'll use a modern 450 MX'er crankpin and bearing and make the flywheels and shafts and a special rod. Piston is a 2 ring design to get room for the stroke and all being well it will come out at a bit over 700 cc.   

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:14:14 PM by Momus »
If you love it, lube it.