Author Topic: New Ignition System?  (Read 5865 times)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New Ignition System?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
I would think all of those would be horrible on a DT400 as they are all internal flywheel. All the big DT's need external flywheels to help with starting.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
Be good on a 125 or 250. Need real good boots on & a good swing through to start a 360 or SC500. [SC was bad enough 'with' a flywheel but original system was a bit dodgy or undervoltaged [is that a word] to get a reliable spark at kick start speed when they had a few miles [laps] on.

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »
Hi Rod, I read the replies to your enquiry and it was pretty much what I expected. Enough to leave someone seeking advice confused as to what the right choice is. See if you can get either a PVL with the external rotor or if you go for the internal type you are able to get extra weights for them. Either way if there is a PVL for your bike it will work. Who are you getting it from? I use a guy in the states --great service but just be aware of the exchange rate and postage costs.  I use the internal type on an Ossa I use on the track and sure it's a 250,starting using the kicker is no problem. You might loose a whisker of grunt but gain a bit more acceleration. Me personally I don't care. As long as the engine starts and keeps running then I'm happy which is a good thing due to the fact it's a 1971 model and when I take it to Broadford I get absolutely flogged by "modern" bikes:-)
(just in case) www.pentonpartsusa.com     Alan Buehner   PVL--MZ-B ignitions  cheers Lew.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
Penton imports has given up selling PVL so you'll need to look elsewhere
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:55:07 AM by tony27 »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:49:11 PM »
Go direct to Power Dynamo (old name was MZB). That's where Penton Parts gets them.

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/lists/yamaha.php

Shipping to Australia is good from them.

Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 07:56:35 PM »
I have two Power Dynamo (MZB) systems on my 78 390 Husky's. It has got to be the single best thing I have ever done. I tried a UK made system, and that ended in "disappointment". The instructions with the German made system are excellent. Mine did not use a woodruff key on the taper. That is not an issue at all. Setting the timing takes all of 2 minutes. Power output for the lights is great. Just make sure if you want the lights to work well that you order the DC system.
Looking at the pictures of the DT400 set up, it shows an external flywheel. So you should be good to go.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 10:56:11 PM »
have you tried - rexs-speedshop.com ?       
 they list some DT400 cdi & stator parts
or the forum at Yamaha-endures.com , may have some other alternatives

Offline motoSycho

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »
Thanks all. Looks like I'll go with the PVL system.

I don't need lighting coils or charging as all that has been stripped off the bike as it will only be used for flat track and dirt track racing.

Rex's Speed Shop isn't making anything for the DT400 at the moment.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »
If you don't need lights, just get the cheaper AC system. From memory the only difference between most of their  AC and DC kits is just the regulator they ship with anyway. Like Grougty said, they are great systems. The only problem i have ever had with them was one time one of the stators or flywheels was incorrectly scribed and i had to figure it all out where it was ment to be with timing light and re-do the marks. Their customer service was good though. Been fitting their systems since way back  around 00/01? before the Euro came in
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline ralph311

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 09:40:29 PM »
Flat track and dirt track racing only? I'm absolutely no PVL expert but..... as far as I know they recommend a 5000 wind stator for big bores to get them to start (because of the lower cranking speed) and depending on the coil, you get this advance curve:

http://pvlignitions.com/shop-us/wp-content/uploads/woocommerce_uploads/2016/12/458-Kurve-5000Wdg.pdf

So in use, when you put a timing light on it, all does from idle is retard. My experience has been when you set one up for a reasonable maximum advance the kick back starting a big banger will put you in low earth orbit. At least with a HPI/Electrex you will see it advance as the revs rise before it retards.

Just my limited experience, lots of people seem to be happy pvl customers. I guess my point is don't buy blind, find the specs before you buy.

I would have thought a snappy internal rotor setup would be a bonus for dirt track, never having ridden it.  ;)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
purple dave has/had PVL on his SC500 yam dirt tracker,internal rotor job,we 1st fitted it,cranky,so push starts up the road,then Jimbo G said i'll kick start it,(stand back  ::)),bang hmmm k/starter sheared off ,she's a roll start job since,so i'd check with Dave on internal ones??, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline motoSycho

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
Thanks guys. Bit more research my end before I part with the cash.