Author Topic: Quiet on here  (Read 7112 times)

Offline Geoffro

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • DirtriderZ
Quiet on here
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
Is it just me, or is there bugger all content on here ????
Check out my facebook page for "old school dirt bikes"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-School-Dirt-Bikes/174245396112872

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Quiet on here
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 02:46:05 AM »
A lot of members here have gotten older,sold their bikes and moved on or just got tied of surfing/posting on forums like this one.I know myself I'm spending less time surfing the net and more time doing things or watching good docco's on tv

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 05:29:04 AM »
Got a few smart arse comments to my questions, and bought some dodgy bikes from here so I'm a little dishearted in the forum.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:18:25 AM »
the main interest in doing up bikes and detailing it is falling away (the interest in showing build threads has gone except for a few newbies) and as above trust has been lost in some cases. the availability of information for problems and provenance is still good tho

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »
I think that in addition, you are also seeing the full impact of Facebook, hand held devices etc. where people can get on line wherever they are, get real-time live immediate responses & feedback etc. I was very anti-FB because for all the wrong reasons you hear about but its a great social media communication tool for bikes & club related stuff IMHO.

You can go to a race meeting & before you even get home or leave the track, there are 1,000 pics already loaded & shared on FB, hard to beat  :o
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »
we are all too busy doing shit  ;),& no one talks ossa's :D,i come on have quick read of latest post & go, gorrect too Digga,f/b i resisted for ages,got shitloads of friends i don't know lol,but it's instantaneous,you get home bingo it's all there,has killed off a few forums,think our forum just cycles up n down,(although we all like a shitfight just mention evo ha ha ),the builds are interesting,& the info we impart on these is irreplacable,expert,or otherwise,my thoughts ,cheers mick
ps no new jokes lately wtf
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
one word.....Facebook. Love it or hate it thats where im seeing the most activity.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »
one word.....Facebook. Love it or hate it thats where im seeing the most activity.

Bike, make specific, 2 stroke, trail bike, etc specific sites are very appealing and gives interaction with the owners with the same interests anywhere on the planet.
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline oz555ktm

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
Hey I think a few thing Photobucket pissed people off  and Now  No One is posting  Photos ..

The Same old Shit about Eveo Rules as worn Out People and even  Me ...so I just don't look when i see that  ..

On the Vinduro side its grown   VTR have gained lots of  New members from  there ...
But you got to put the work  into it I post Photo of events ... I dont post a link to some where else to look you have to put them
on the Forum ....

This is where faceBook is Good you and post photo eazy and then you get the lookers and then the interested .....

And Please forgive me as I cant Spell for Shit ...
And I have very Bad Gramer ...too I been told ......

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »
I concur with the above mentioned Facebook and Photobucket quotes. A lot of the resto work, events and questions that were once here now get posted on FB. That said, the wealth of knowledge available within the Ozvmx archive is second to none  ;)     

Offline Short Stuff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »
Like Digga, I was 'anti' FB, until I got into it, now unfortunately, I'm a convert.  Ease of posting pics and stories is a winner.

And like (many) others, I'm real pissed at Photobucket for their treachery.  Years of pics on posts all gone to poo!

Still, I will continue to post stories on any of my restos, cos I like the feedback.

I think the interest in forums is waining, but there will always be folk that will have something to say and share.  I've had good experiences with folk on OZVMX, so I'll be hanging around for a bit.

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 09:12:50 PM »
I for one hope these old bike forums don't die out , to be replaced by the dreaded Facebook.
But if that is what people prefer it will happen over time.
To be fair Facebook+groups don't seem too bad,
its Facebook+ individual people is where it goes wrong, and gets a bad name
The Photobucket situation doesn't help forums, but what will happen when Facebook end up owning most of the internet  ?
I bet they will start charging $$$ just like Photobucket

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 12:05:17 AM »
Things change, peoples interests change. the way we share information and stories changes. thats evolution. Hell sometimes I even change my socks and undies. I dont think anyone actually likes Fb but we use it for its ease. A central store of current events all in one place but just try searching for something specific and your about to waste an hour of your life that will never return. Thats where forums and mags cant be beat.

Most of the crew still stop bye this site to have a look but if they want fast responses they will go to FB.  Pic hosting does have a cost and with this site being free and free from annoying adds its not a viable consideration to have that module attached without our generous webby having to eat beans all week and no one wants to smell that. Sooner or later, an easy to use free pic hosting solution will be tripped over and people will start coming back to this more than worthwhile place.  I actually use fb to host now as most people can see them as they have accounts. Oh and fork photoforket.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 01:44:19 AM »
I for one hope these old bike forums don't die out , to be replaced by the dreaded Facebook.
But if that is what people prefer it will happen over time.
To be fair Facebook+groups don't seem too bad,
its Facebook+ individual people is where it goes wrong, and gets a bad name
The Photobucket situation doesn't help forums, but what will happen when Facebook end up owning most of the internet  ?
I bet they will start charging $$$ just like Photobucket
Who do you think owns Photobucket now? The huge number of ads started around the time Zuckerberg bought it

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 08:45:56 AM »
Attended a social media course last week,very interesting.
 > you have no control over facebookyour input can be withdrawn at any time.Months/years of building a group or page can be pulled.You dont own it.
>This forum website is 99% safe  :)
> Z may purchase a movie site and it may no longer be available on facebook .example as in photobucket.
>  the old way is sometimes better than the new,enjoy   8)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:01:50 AM by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!