Author Topic: New XR75 K1 1974 Project  (Read 2507 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline alexbrown64

  • Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 610
    • View Profile
Re: New XR75 K1 1974 Project
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »
So... been battling the mighty XR again.  Had a few wins and a few losses.

New spokes with correct bend are apparently coming next month.

The motor is at Pipe Kings (Richards) place.  He is rebuilding a peg mount, building up the threads on all 4 peg mounts, making a template to align the holes and retapping them all. Should be a proper repair and strong when he is done with it.

I applied the vinyl decals to the side covers... and the 2k clear ate into the graphics and created wrinkles... as well as i didn't apply them correctly and i got heaps of air bubbles in there.. tried pulling the graphics off, ruined the decals and paint..... then i decided to read the instructions... do not apply for 1 week after painting.... apply wet using squeegee...

Back to square 1.  I ordered 2 more sets of side cover decals.  I repainted the side cover.  I re-read the instructions and now i will wait a few weeks to do the tank the sidecovers.  I did however sand back the front and rear guards, and apply a metal decal to the rear guard, then shoot 2k clear over the lot.  Came out really well.

I also cleaned, primed, painted and clear coated a whole heap of doo dads including swingarm, airfilter cover, brackets etc.  I now have everything painted either by powder coating or by 2k system. All in gloss black.  I did the swingarm myself as i didnt want to remove the rubber bushings which can be an expensive and hard exercise. 

First pick below of the parts now painted.  The rear guard is the only panel which is not original. It is from Re-Mx.  The tyre pressure decal is in the correct location on the back of the rear guard.  Lot of folk get this wrong and put it on the chain guard. This was true for later models, but for 74 it was on the rear guard.



Next pic is of the seat and frame.  The seat base is steel and was pretty corroded.  I got that blasted and powder coated.  It has a new seat foam and cover period correct. The frame was powder coated and the metal decals re-applied.  You can still buy genuine frame decals from Honda.



The last pic here is of the frame steering stem. The powder coaters did a top notch job.  The XR was basically on the border of being a basket case with its snapped peg mounts and just beaten up appearance.  The frame however was in surprisingly good condition.  They blasted, zinc primed and gloss black powder coated the frame, airbox (not airbox cover), pegs, peg mounts, bash plate, seat base and some other brackets.  The decal is genuine Honda for this model.



I pick up the engine on Tuesday.. but start work again on Wednesday.  Looks like i will be slowly assembling the entire bike over the Christmas break.  Most of the hard work is done, and soon it will be time to just clean, check, grease and assemble components.

Cheers,


Offline Big Scotty

  • C-Grade
  • **
  • Posts: 123
  • Heaven 380
    • View Profile
Re: New XR75 K1 1974 Project
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
Gray Alex
I replaced my head stock bearings with a all balls tapered roller bearing kit,came with seals and fitted perfect,no modification needed,disregard this comment if you have did it already,looking good????
yz400d yz125d ktm380exc

Offline alexbrown64

  • Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 610
    • View Profile
Re: New XR75 K1 1974 Project
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
Hey Scotty,

No, i have not done that mod but it sounds like a good one.  When i took the XR for a test blat, the steering was fine.  I disassembled everything and it was clean and OK.  All i have done is order anther 10 ball bearings (i think there are 42) just in case some went rolling off or are knackered.  Clean her up, plenty of grease and she should be good to steer for another few years...

Cheers,

Offline alexbrown64

  • Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 610
    • View Profile
Re: New XR75 K1 1974 Project
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 10:48:39 PM »
I am working away at the moment, but picked up the engine from Richard at Pipe Kings before I left.
He did a good job of repairing the broken engine footpeg mount. The left mount in the pic was completely snapped in half.
The other repair with all the meat on it was there when we got the bike.  We couldn't repair that one, for fear of creating a leak from the gasket. (it doesn't leak oil at the moment believe it or not)
For now we are just getting the bike up and running properly.  In a few years when I tear the bike and engine down, we will repair the "repaired" weld to take it back to original.



I should get the spokes soon and a few other small parts.. then its a bit of paint, cleaning, greasing and start the assembly process which will be fun.

Cheers,