Author Topic: New XR75 K1 1974 Project  (Read 33827 times)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New XR75 K1 1974 Project
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 08:20:20 PM »
Big Scotty, i just went over to Re-Mx and saw the tubes.  Great option for the future. $229 for brand new tubes, plus a full kit of seals, caps, washers and bolts etc included.
They also do a full chain and sprocket kit for $50.  You could spend a fortune there. 
In fact i have.  I just remembered i bought the seat foam and seat cover, as well as all my other bits. I bought a beat up old Haynes manual for the 73-76 XR for $20 and its actually not to bad. Its in the same condition as the bike, so they kind of go well together, but there is heaps of good info on rebuilding everything.

Offline Big Scotty

• C-Grade
  • Heaven 380
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
Well my little girl lives,pulled the carby apart and put a kit in it,also found one float had a pin hole in it,found completely by accident,put a new genuine float in,started first kick,idled,yeh.20 minutes tearing around the yard grinning ear to ear,never went that we'll ever.next project get the 125 Suzuki quad going????
yz400d yz125d yz490k

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
Very well done.  The little XR's are great fun eh!! Nice that its running like a ripper again.  Just took a simple carb kit and new float...(lucky you spotted the hole).

Post up a pick of the old girl if you can.

Cheers,

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 04:07:48 PM »
Got all my parts together and they have gone to the powder coaters together with my YZ125G frame.  All to be done with a zinc prime and gloss black powdercoat. (pic below is various G and XR components)

Working on the engine this afternoon.  Have to make a special tool to get the oil pump/cleaner thingy off, so i can get the clutch off...

Have all the parts now to rebuild the wheels, so hope to get them together over the weekend...

Cheers,

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 07:06:04 PM »
Had a bit of time this arvo, so i hooked into removing the gear shaft. The gear shift had been welded on and the splines were knackered, as well as the oil seal blown.
First off was to remove the oil pickup filter thingy. You need Honda special tool #somethingorrather.. but to get around it, i just ground 4 notches in an old socket.  I also needed Honda special tool #costsalotamoney.  This is a an 2c piece that i jammed inbetween the gears to stop the rotation of the engine.  Its copper, so doesnt damage anything (except the 2c piece).
This all worked a treat and off came the oil thingy, the clutch, a few other doohickies and then the gear shaft just pulls straight up and out.

Thats as far as i got, as i am using some of my special ally welding wire to fix a broken footpeg mount using a propane torch.
We will see how this all works out when i try and fix it tomorrow morning with a hangover...

Pic below showing numerous Honda special tools and techniques....

Cheers

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 07:20:56 PM »
U can buy a double ended chinca copy of the Honda special tool for 12 or 13 bucks on delay posted to your door

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »
U can buy a double ended chinca copy of the Honda special tool for 12 or 13 bucks on delay posted to your door

Bit late now Matt,,, but good tip for punters planning a job soon to come  :D

That thing you are calling a "oil pick up thingy"  ;D ;D ;D ,,, sorry can't help it Alex  ;D  , it is a
"centrifuge"  and all that grey paste is the worn alloy,,, like most likely your head camshaft journals
that are non-ferrous and won't collect on a magnetic drain plug.

Seriously great innovation to collect "heavier" (waste) from the about to be recycled "lighter" SG 8.5 to 9.5 lube blood.   
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 08:38:58 PM »
Hey and great to see something interesting on OZ vmx again mate...

Ps; I hope your grandchildren don't look back in years to come and see what you did with their
Rare and collectable soft copper gear lock  ;D 
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2017, 02:31:42 AM »
The tool would be for when it's put back together,from the pics it looks like the home made socket tool has done a lot of damage to the nut which I've seen a lot of when farmers used to do their own repairs to there bikes and use lots of silicon on the home made cornflake box clutch cover gasket resulting in blocked oil gallery ‚ seized cam and stuffed head

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
Hey Mick, yep the centrifuge does work, as there is a lot of old crap built up around the edges.. but the later XR75's didnt have one. 
I will keep an ear out for the Chinese version of the special tool Matt.  The nut is all good and i can modify my special tool to fit a little better.  I would of got a proper tool, but didnt realize i needed one until i was almost ready to go.

Took two steps backwards today.  After some mucking around, i have to take the motor up to Pipe King and get him to repair the ally lugs that mount the footpegs.  It needs a decent repair job.  They are all stripped, broken and munted.  Hopefully Pipe King can do as good a job on the mounts as he does on his pipes.

Next one was the wheels.  The original spokes were cactus and i had to cut them off.  I got a set from Thailand that i thought would go nicely on the build. 
Unfortunately, either they dont know that there are inner and outer spokes, or they sent me all inners.  I tried to get a bit of extra bend on them, but the bend area also needs to be longer to get around the thickness of the hub.
I have dropped Vintage Avenue and email with the pic below. Pain in the arse. 
It can only go 3 ways... He sends me the correct bend spokes..... he gives me my hard earned dosh back...i get a new set of OEM spokes from Partzilla at $2 per spoke/nipple.

Cheers,

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
Got up before the kids this morning and did a little prep on the body work.
The plastic mudguards got a rub back and then some plastic primer adhesive followed by some primer filler.
The tank and side covers got some dents removed, followed by a rub back and some etch primer followed by primer filler.

Now to find all the small imperfections and fix them up, followed by a good rub back and then some more undercoat, base coat, clear, decals and clear again... (2k clear to  make it fuel proof)

Cheers,

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 11:07:36 PM »
The rubber gray paint is supposed to match perfectly with Kia Sage Green.  Either my paint place mixed it up wrong, or something isnt right.  I painted all the panels with my Sage Green and they came out way to dark. Its a nice metallic grey, with a greenish tinge, but quite a few shades too dark.
I have also read on here that Hyundai Smoky Gray is a perfect match using a spectron analyzer. I will take some pics, panels and info down to the local paint place tomorrow and get it sorted.  Besides that, the panels look pretty good considering their age. Its only the base coat, so should be able to shoot straight over it when i get the paint correct.

Cheers,

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
The Paint Place mixed a test pot of Kia Sage Green again and it was way to dark.  Not sure whats going on there.. but anyway, i had taken in my old rear mudguard which still had a really good spot on it to run under their spectro thingy...
Came back as Mazda S6 Advan Silver Metallic. It was a great match for my OEM rear guard. They just added a touch more green and i was good to go.
Put down the base coat, and then a few layers of 2k clear over.  When its hardened up, i will apply the decals and then i will be ready to put some more clear over the tank and number plates..

Cheers,

Offline Big Scotty

• C-Grade
  • Heaven 380
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »
Bday Alex
It's time you found another bike for your young bloke to ride,your not going to let him on this one????Looks good mate
Cheers scotty
yz400d yz125d yz490k

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 12:06:51 AM »
Hey Scotty, this isnt the serious rebuild.. this is just the tidy up for him to go out riding. It is coming up nice though, but there are a lot of aftermarket parts mixed with a ton of OEM goodies.
Let him ride it for a few years, then i will strip it down again for a full original build.  I am keeping the original rims to be rechromed one day and all the little mistakes now will be fixed for the garage queen build.  Can't wait to get it going and get the boy ringing its neck with the power pipe singing......