Author Topic: New XR75 K1 1974 Project  (Read 1680 times)

Butcher, fireyglen and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New XR75 K1 1974 Project
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 08:20:20 PM »
Big Scotty, i just went over to Re-Mx and saw the tubes.  Great option for the future. $229 for brand new tubes, plus a full kit of seals, caps, washers and bolts etc included.
They also do a full chain and sprocket kit for $50.  You could spend a fortune there. 
In fact i have.  I just remembered i bought the seat foam and seat cover, as well as all my other bits. I bought a beat up old Haynes manual for the 73-76 XR for $20 and its actually not to bad. Its in the same condition as the bike, so they kind of go well together, but there is heaps of good info on rebuilding everything.

Offline Big Scotty

• C-Grade
  • Heaven 380
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
Well my little girl lives,pulled the carby apart and put a kit in it,also found one float had a pin hole in it,found completely by accident,put a new genuine float in,started first kick,idled,yeh.20 minutes tearing around the yard grinning ear to ear,never went that we'll ever.next project get the 125 Suzuki quad going????
yz400d yz125d ktm380exc

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
Very well done.  The little XR's are great fun eh!! Nice that its running like a ripper again.  Just took a simple carb kit and new float...(lucky you spotted the hole).

Post up a pick of the old girl if you can.

Cheers,

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 04:07:48 PM »
Got all my parts together and they have gone to the powder coaters together with my YZ125G frame.  All to be done with a zinc prime and gloss black powdercoat. (pic below is various G and XR components)

Working on the engine this afternoon.  Have to make a special tool to get the oil pump/cleaner thingy off, so i can get the clutch off...

Have all the parts now to rebuild the wheels, so hope to get them together over the weekend...

Cheers,

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 07:06:04 PM »
Had a bit of time this arvo, so i hooked into removing the gear shaft. The gear shift had been welded on and the splines were knackered, as well as the oil seal blown.
First off was to remove the oil pickup filter thingy. You need Honda special tool #somethingorrather.. but to get around it, i just ground 4 notches in an old socket.  I also needed Honda special tool #costsalotamoney.  This is a an 2c piece that i jammed inbetween the gears to stop the rotation of the engine.  Its copper, so doesnt damage anything (except the 2c piece).
This all worked a treat and off came the oil thingy, the clutch, a few other doohickies and then the gear shaft just pulls straight up and out.

Thats as far as i got, as i am using some of my special ally welding wire to fix a broken footpeg mount using a propane torch.
We will see how this all works out when i try and fix it tomorrow morning with a hangover...

Pic below showing numerous Honda special tools and techniques....

Cheers

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 07:20:56 PM »
U can buy a double ended chinca copy of the Honda special tool for 12 or 13 bucks on delay posted to your door

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 08:35:19 PM »
U can buy a double ended chinca copy of the Honda special tool for 12 or 13 bucks on delay posted to your door

Bit late now Matt,,, but good tip for punters planning a job soon to come  :D

That thing you are calling a "oil pick up thingy"  ;D ;D ;D ,,, sorry can't help it Alex  ;D  , it is a
"centrifuge"  and all that grey paste is the worn alloy,,, like most likely your head camshaft journals
that are non-ferrous and won't collect on a magnetic drain plug.

Seriously great innovation to collect "heavier" (waste) from the about to be recycled "lighter" SG 8.5 to 9.5 lube blood.   
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 08:38:58 PM »
Hey and great to see something interesting on OZ vmx again mate...

Ps; I hope your grandchildren don't look back in years to come and see what you did with their
Rare and collectable soft copper gear lock  ;D 
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Today at 02:31:42 AM »
The tool would be for when it's put back together,from the pics it looks like the home made socket tool has done a lot of damage to the nut which I've seen a lot of when farmers used to do their own repairs to there bikes and use lots of silicon on the home made cornflake box clutch cover gasket resulting in blocked oil gallery ‚ seized cam and stuffed head