Author Topic: Pre 90 for VERi  (Read 32683 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 90 for VERi
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 08:20:13 AM »
I also think we'll probably see a lot more of the Air Ambo as the speeds inevitably increase

;D ;D ;D load of crap...at the recent masters games I lapped my twinshocker faster than the "team mates" on the 2009 wr 450.

80% rider...more like some of the real old guys having bingles from lack of balance, poor sight etc ( I know where that's coming from >:()

I agree with tex, love to see the older bikes but the cost of them is through the roof, parts are getting harder to find for some bikes and the motivation for older guys on the fringe is waning. I just see pre 90 or pre 88 as a way to introduce (im estimating 15 % or so..) more punters to the game and keep things ticking over.

don't forget, a lot of people wont be bothered to rego etc and might do a uvp for harrow but probably wouldn't "be bothered" to ride other events...

bit like the sea lake rally from years ago, 50% of the field were once a year racers

im done..will watch the vote with interest (unless im frantically trying to get the bike repaired again :o)

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 02:39:17 PM »
Twin shocks for me all the way because that's my era,but having said that , IMHO I think that pre-90 would have minimal adverse effect on Veri events .
This is based on my observations at QLD events.

The only way, is to have another vote and let the membership decide.

Shoey
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline jimbo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 05:56:09 PM »
 Veri member since it was formed, and have been to most events  in Victoria since the first vinduro in Australia back in 08 l think it was. There is a lot to consider here lad's, l will cast my vote at the AGM. and will try to keep an open mind on this  subject until our annual Harrow  meeting, it is interesting to hear the input from guy's who ride in the northern states. This subject has been on the agenda for the last two years and has attracted much debate! Regards Jimbo

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »

I also bought this up at a pre VERi event many years back that we should run Pre 88 due to the 85-87 models that I consider are still old school bikes. It seemed that no one at the time could comprehend a cut off date that didn’t end in a zero or a five. Maybe I was ahead of my time????

I just want to say that 88 is two fat ladies. Good thinking GM.  ;D

Offline Monoshock Doc

• Novice
  • Monoshock and later dirt suspension rebuilds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2017, 08:54:06 AM »

;D ;D ;D load of crap...at the recent masters games I lapped my twinshocker faster than the "team mates" on the 2009 wr 450.

Oh well.  You're obviously a gun mate.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »

Oh well.  You're obviously a gun mate.

seriously, I couldn't ride out of site on a dark nite :o, my point was given even rider skills, the bikes irrelevant and I don't think new punters on 5 years newer bikes will be hurling themselves into the scrub any faster than us on our older twin shocks ;D

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »
I'm a twin shock enthusiast given my age & I was only 2-5 seconds slower on my 1984 WR400 Husky than my 2012 KTM250 around my 15 minute training loop, so the speed thing is really not a factor IMO. As Shoey said, it really should go to a vote by the VERI members, there are probably more legitimate reasons to include pre'90 than exclude it. Let the members decide.
K

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »
I formed VinduroWA two years ago and we ride pre90 bikes.  We have found no problem with it, except from people outside the club telling us we should be riding pre95, as i've always said, join the club and vote for a change, otherwise disappear into the distance.  Most of these people are members of the ClassicMXWA who run pre95 and over 35 vets on modern bikes.  The reason they do this is because they couldn't get enough members without it.  This though has caused a loss of pre85 bikes as they are all heading for the more "modern class of pre90 and pre95

No matter what you run you will always get someone complaining as we all know.  We used pre90 in line with MA's classification of the Classic MX classes which run to pre95.  When MA changes to pre95 we will probably follow suit.  We have everything from pre75 bikes to pre90 and no one cares, because they are having fun in non competitive vinduros

Barry
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »
and no one cares, because they are having fun in non competitive vinduros

that's my point zachary

Offline Morpheus

• Novice
  • aka John
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 06:34:01 PM »
seriously, I couldn't ride out of site on a dark nite :o, my point was given even rider skills, the bikes irrelevant and I don't think new punters on 5 years newer bikes will be hurling themselves into the scrub any faster than us on our older twin shocks ;D

Never a truer word spoken.
Me and 4 mates had this discussion and tested the theory at a MX and flat track courses. 5 bikes ranged from 1990's YZ125, to '79 CR250, to hybrid XL500 in CR250 frame VMX racer to a 2015 KTM125SX.
All riders did timed laps on each bike. All riders posted different times from one another but almost exactly the same time individually on each bike.
Now, granted, there may be a different result with a top (or fitter) rider on board, but back in the day we were all pretty handy round an MX track. But the rider is in most cases the limiting factor in terms of speed. The biggest consideration would be the extra damage later model bikes can do to the track. But this is far less of an issue on enduro courses.
What are you waiting for? You are faster than this. Don't think you are... know you are.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 08:52:04 PM »
It's pretty simple, be as progressive and inclusive as possible without totally losing the concept and mantra of what the club was formed with, then it continues to flourish.

Or

Stick with all the current rules and formats because "that's how it is" and eventually all your customers die off and the club ceases someday (probably quite a while) down the line.

My 2c, I'm out now  ;)
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Maicoman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
Ive always been an advocate of Pre 90 as this is the era of bikes I can readily identify with. Being in my early 40's I still remember reading issues of ADB when in high school in the late 80's/90's. The pre 85 & 90 debate has been a contentious one over the years and I've seen both sides of the arguments.

However when I set out the format for Cookardinia Vinduro I went with the rolling 25 year rule which is used by many vintage motorcycle clubs. A lot of people said it was a bad move but having done the entries for Cooka over the years most entrants still rode Pre 85 model bikes. In 2014 we had 90 entrants and of them 5 were on post 85 model bikes. Nathan Senior was one of them aboard his KDX. There was no flood of modern bikes as people presumed would happen.

I'm not a fan of rules, no rear disc or upside down forks at current events. You might aswell make it Pre 85 for all that's worth. Basically any motorcross bike built after 1987 is illegible due to rear disc. There is also a swag of great enduro bikes also illegible. I have numerous bikes in "The Shed of Despair" that fall in the category of 87-90 but they'll never see the dirt with current rules.
We need to move with the times and keep people interested in the sport.
Nice pics there Geoff.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:55:19 PM by Maicoman »
Let's face it some dirt bikes were never meant to be ridden.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 07:21:19 AM »
After considerable discussion, the members of VERi present at last nights AGM have voted on the bike eligibility issue and have decided to move the age of bikes that are eligible for VERi events to pre '88.

It was also voted that the bike eligibility issue will not be raised as an item on the agenda for the next 3 years.
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
I have numerous bikes in "The Shed of Despair" that fall in the category of 87-90 but they'll never see the dirt

I want to say something funny.  ;D ;D

Is it ok to say "only bikes that go can go"
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:41:25 PM by tymes »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
lots of people came on sunday with bikes like that ;D including me  >:(