Author Topic: Pre 90 for VERi  (Read 32692 times)

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 90 for VERi
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »

To quote Peter Drakeford  the idea of VERI is for people to get there Old bikes out of the
     Shed and enjoy a day Riding them again.
      At the moment we are getting an average of 60 to 80 riders at an event which is a good
      number . So its not as if we need to Boost the size of the Fields.
      You have to take into account that most of our events we are Privelaged to be able to use
      Public Land and Roads  with a Few restrictions on the use of it ie ( numbers on the trail at a
       Time)  so lets not Shoot ourselves in the foot Like enduro's did in the 90s and be banned
      from the forest because of the damage caused by too many bikes on the trails at a time.
      Lets keep it (  KISS  )

The Stig

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
As someone on the sidelines (of Vinduro) if the FIM have rules why not adopt them.

However if you are worried about whether or not it being competitive going to Pre 90 is simple and then maybe move to Pre 95 or 2000 at some stage later.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Vinduro is non competitive so FIM rules are probably over the top. it is about managing numbers I agree so that may be an influence on a pre 90 decision but I cant see a 30 - 50 % increase from pre 90 inclusion and as per the VTR crew, its easy to put a top number on entries if you have a sensitive area.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
If you increase demand surely that makes people enter earlier.  Is that such a bad thing.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Monoshock Doc

• Novice
  • Monoshock and later dirt suspension rebuilds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 06:18:15 PM »
Take one look at what the later classes have bought to VIPER in Vic.
Have a look at the carry-ons of that club on Facebook.
To me, later than Pre 85 brings a certain clique. It's a whole lot of 'factory' look and who's got the biggest toy hauler.
And even though it's 'non-competitive', see how long it takes for the aggressive "I'll show you old boys how it's done" mind-set take over.

A resounding NO from me.????

Offline hoppy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
Was at the meeting last year when they spoke about it and I am pretty shore they had the same debate the year before.
Most of the people where against it and I think I agree there is plenty of older bikes around to fill out the grid.
They are fantastic events VERI runs so unless the numbers dramatically drop keep it the same.

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
Disclosure:
I'm not a Veri member.
I own Pre90 motorcycles as well as a pre 85 motorcycle.
I don't own a Toy Hauler yet, but I'm looking to get one real soon. (It'll be a f&^king big one.)

Content:
VERI rides are not competitive, they're just trail rides.
No sheep stations involved.
Old Enduro or Trail riders aren't MX riders, and we all know 'that' guy is faster because well, 'that' guy is faster than me, no matter what he rides.
I have participated in Conondale Vinduro Sprint since it started, and can report NO eligibility/whinging/whining BS to be seen anywhere at the (competitive) event.
But hey, look at dot point one.

Some / Most / All VERI rides require some form of rego......UVP or Historic rego.
Both VIC and now NSW has the 'Log Book' system for rego.
NSW is 30 years old gets you in, VIC is now 30 yrs? (not 25 yrs anymore?)
QLD'ers are nowhere, I mean are 30 yrs and no  log book.
UVP's are available for any roadworthy bike.
Do people ride old bikes in SA?

FIM have rules for old bikes - cool.
MA as well - even cooler, like frozen.

I guess, clubs are started by a small group of hard working people that have the same ideas about what a bike is, what logo to have, etcetcetc
They work hard, they control the club.
Does the Club ever grow past those initial ideas? Should a club evolve?
We've seen some pretty good examples of splits / rifts / politics in clubs north of Victoria. Maybe some in Vic as well?
To me they all have one common theme, someone doesn't like a new idea from another member in the club, about what 'the' club should be.....then it starts......

So, I'm in favour of the delegated authority system - either choose the governing body of the sports idea on what an old bike is or choose the governments.
It takes all the BS out of the equation.

(I look at pre-95 bikes in QLD and don't believe they're vintage, but except the umpires decision, and it doesn't seem to lessen my riding pleasure in any way.)

Another idea would to limit eligibility to left hand kickers only with special dispensation for right hand kickers if they kick the wrong way, ie forward.

You would probably get a couple of more QLDers at Harrow for the State challenge if you were pre 90.
I'd go back in a heart beat if you'd move it closer.

Cheers

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 10:47:13 PM »
This debate has come up every year at the VERi AGM, love it or hate it the outcome gives the committee clear guidance to run with.
I also bought this up at a pre VERi event many years back that we should run Pre 88 due to the 85-87 models that I consider are still old school bikes. It seemed that no one at the time could comprehend a cut off date that didn’t end in a zero or a five. Maybe I was ahead of my time????

What does VERi stand for? As one of the guys that helped start the club I consider we are about using old enduro/trail bikes on the trails like we used to. The debate is about what is considered to be an old bike.

As I said already I don’t believe there will be a massive increase in members or members turning to later bikes, it’s more about having old guys riding models that they associate with. Also as new members come in there is always others dropping out for all sorts of various reasons, there is already a lot of members that haven’t been back for a while.
We have a small ‘footprint’  and I don’t believe 85-89 models will change that.If we start getting 400 riders at events then it might be different.

I don’t think there will be any shitfight to come from it, blinged up parts won’t stay blinged up very long on the trails. There’s no spectators (or very few) at enduros/vinduros, most guys are there for the ride so winning the pit show doesn’t carry a lot of credence.

Also there is no talk of going beyond 1990

Too new for VERi???

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »
Too modern for VERi?

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 08:27:27 AM »
I don't have any issues with those bikes, and I would think it would be great to see an ATK like that.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »

My idea of Vinduro.

Not my idea of Vinduro (A very nice bike though)

I have an interest in a move to Pre '88 as l have a '87 kdx200 l wouldn't mind riding but l don't expect the club to change it's participation rules to suit me.

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »
pre 88?? where did that come from :o

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »

FIM is pre-88 with technology exclusions.
Both allow 1987 bikes like the TT350.

FIM considers that Pre-88 is the best cutoff date for Vinduro. Do we want Vinduro or just old bikes?

I also bought this up at a pre VERi event many years back that we should run Pre 88 due to the 85-87 models that I consider are still old school bikes. It seemed that no one at the time could comprehend a cut off date that didn’t end in a zero or a five. Maybe I was ahead of my time????

I have an interest in a move to Pre '88

pre 88?? where did that come from :o

If club members vote to move from pre '85, it doesn't necessarily have to be to pre '90.

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
pre 88?? where did that come from

You obviously weren't at the AGM a couple of years ago where several alternative options to Pre 85 were proposed.

Too modern for VERi?

Yes, in my opinion too modern for VERi. But that's only my opinion, and a democratic vote will again decide the issue, and like pretty much most members I will accept the outcome.

While I acknowledge GMC's contention that the idea is
celebrate old bikes and old times from days long gone
, this is a subjective idea, and means different things to different people. The year 2000 was 17 years ago, and is undoubtedly viewed by some as "days long gone". Is trying to satisfy individual interpretations of what is 'old' a desirable alternative to an established and successful format, that is far from waning in popularity?

I perhaps cling to an idealised notion of the club being for bikes that are undeniably and irrefutably 'old', and I'd rather see more bikes from the 1970s at VERi events than the arrival of bikes from the late 80s.

So, I'd rather see more of this:

Image from www.motoguapa.com

Image from www.vinduronz.com

Than this:

Image from www.flickr.com

Image from www.flickr.com

;)

Tex
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:34:01 PM by Tex »

Offline Monoshock Doc

• Novice
  • Monoshock and later dirt suspension rebuilds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 07:29:48 AM »
Agree with Tex totally.  It's not just the reasons that I stated above but I truly believe that with the more technologically advanced bikes coming into play, bikes like the ones he's pictured and quirky bikes seen at Veri events like DR200's and down-pipe Maicos will be lost from the trails.

I also think we'll probably see a lot more of the Air Ambo as the speeds inevitably increase and the night before bull session (well lubricated) runs to the early hours.....