Author Topic: VMX ........... PRE 82 or EVO or pre 80 or pre 85  (Read 18345 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VMX ........... PRE 82 or EVO or pre 80 or pre 85
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 05:12:13 PM »
Evo is a technology class so different manufacturers bikes have different years where they are still eligible ie 81 for Yamaha YZs(all DT175s would be eligible), something like 84 for Husqvarna, 79/80 for Suzuki, Honda & Kawasaki.
It does almost sound as though pre82 is just another name for Evo but with a year limit as well from what you're asking

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
wr 400 husky twinshock drum brakes but...watercooled engine..on yr bike sunshine >:(

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »
So hypothetically if pre '82 were to be considered, do people want a true pre'82 class where one could ride a 1981 Honda CR250 or 1981 RM250 or would it be a  pre'82 class with technology limitations (ie: no water cooling, disc brakes or linkages ) as some clubs have adopted? The second example is not really a pre '82 class no matter how you look at it & seems a perfect way to confuse pretty much everyone.
K

Offline Morpheus

• Novice
  • aka John
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »
OK, so it seems they just call it pre 82 because its easier than calling it drum brake, aircooled, non-linkage, old piece of shit class. Fairy nuff. What is really required is a bit of clarity to prevent confusion. But I guess at our age, someone is always going to be confused  ;D
What are you waiting for? You are faster than this. Don't think you are... know you are.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »
No linkage, air cooled & drum brake is Evolution class (EVO), been that forever & no confusion there.
K

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »
Done to death and ends in a shit fight.
Having said that  ::) Pre 82 is no harder than the word evo. A new punter has to learn how it all works, just like I did. It amazes me how we talk as though we have to dumb down things as if the newby is a dumb arse.
The only hard bit is in the fact the of differing technologies in this era. You can call the class toasted sandwiches if you wanted to. Its just a name. The yanks have names and not year cut off dates.
Pre 82 was only invented due to some that believe that the rules should reflect a form of pigeon holing bikes into their era and cross pollinating ,if you will, should not be allowed. The power(s) that be disagree and so do some punters. So those people took matters into their own hands in the form of pre 82, which turned into a major shit fight, mainly due to many bikes not complying to the pre 82 class rules. Simply, they had parts that were off linkage bikes.
When using pre 78 parts on a pre 75 bike is considered a no no, as to any other era that has a name associated with a year cut off (pre 65 etc). Yet evo seems to be open slather. Thats not to say there aren't punters with later parts on their bikes such as 88 cr250 forks in an 84 cr250 for e.g.
My evo bike was built around a motor. I bought everything else. I truly believed then and still do now that out of era parts should not be okay on your bike. I built my bike in 2010, way before all this crap started.
I will also say that I had nothing to do with concept of pre82, even though I both understand why it was done ( wish it hadn't due to the rift it has caused) and as you have read (if you have gotten this far) I believe in the reason behind the pre 82 shit storm.
At the end of the day, vmx is far from black and white. What about 2017 shocks? Fat bars? Billet parts? Then add humans into the mix and here we are!  a shit fight thats strained friendships and made enemies. Thats the worst part. I love my vmx friends and to have them strained over this subject has taken a toll, even though people are so over talking about it things are getting better. The sooner pre 82 is dropped for the benefit of vmx the better. Not because its wrong...

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 08:11:58 PM »
wr 400 husky twinshock drum brakes but...watercooled engine..on yr bike sunshine >:(

Plenty of air cooled 84 Husky's to go around though. (PS there was a 250 L/C as well in 84)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »
I had a new one and raced it....then STUPIDLY sold it for 800 bucks >:(

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 09:51:10 AM »
Well written Brad,

Done to death and ends in a shit fight.
Having said that  ::) Pre 82 is no harder than the word evo. A new punter has to learn how it all works, just like I did. It amazes me how we talk as though we have to dumb down things as if the newby is a dumb arse.
The only hard bit is in the fact the of differing technologies in this era. You can call the class toasted sandwiches if you wanted to. Its just a name. The yanks have names and not year cut off dates.
Pre 82 was only invented due to some that believe that the rules should reflect a form of pigeon holing bikes into their era and cross pollinating ,if you will, should not be allowed. The power(s) that be disagree and so do some punters. So those people took matters into their own hands in the form of pre 82, which turned into a major shit fight, mainly due to many bikes not complying to the pre 82 class rules. Simply, they had parts that were off linkage bikes.
When using pre 78 parts on a pre 75 bike is considered a no no, as to any other era that has a name associated with a year cut off (pre 65 etc). Yet evo seems to be open slather. Thats not to say there aren't punters with later parts on their bikes such as 88 cr250 forks in an 84 cr250 for e.g.
My evo bike was built around a motor. I bought everything else. I truly believed then and still do now that out of era parts should not be okay on your bike. I built my bike in 2010, way before all this crap started.
I will also say that I had nothing to do with concept of pre82, even though I both understand why it was done ( wish it hadn't due to the rift it has caused) and as you have read (if you have gotten this far) I believe in the reason behind the pre 82 shit storm.
At the end of the day, vmx is far from black and white. What about 2017 shocks? Fat bars? Billet parts? Then add humans into the mix and here we are!  a shit fight thats strained friendships and made enemies. Thats the worst part. I love my vmx friends and to have them strained over this subject has taken a toll, even though people are so over talking about it things are getting better. The sooner pre 82 is dropped for the benefit of vmx the better. Not because its wrong...

There are so many good people with varying opinions that they are entitled to.
The only ones that I cannot stomach in this community is the rare THIEVING GRUB.
It is such a shame that MA could have and should have just clearly sorted this shit before rifts grew.

Saying that though, I now more easily tolerate SOME differences of opinions. Friends are friends.
For example; I except the VTR decision to make a cut off point to preserve the notion of old trail bikes,,,,
 and its not like they are short on numbers to prove their idea.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
eggszakery MD,you accept  ;), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
eggszakery MD,you accept  ;), :P

Arhh that dam spell checker mate,, ;D ;D so that's how you spell accept,,, doh  ;D
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »
um spelling was ok,just wrong context ;), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline dirtrumpy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
Is my 82 Sonic 500 now pre 85 ???

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:12 AM »
Depends on which club(s) you ride with but if you turn up at the PC Nationals in S.A in August, you'll be eligible for the EVO class where it's been since the rules were drafted a lot of years ago now, (air cooled, no linkage, drum brake).
K

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 05:03:49 PM »
Bring it up to Qld for the SPRINGTIME SPRINTS where you'll ride with the Evolution Class (as per the rules) no confusion. Six races for $90.00 entry. Ride it in Pre85 also if you want more track time on the one bike.