Author Topic: 1984 CR125 Resto Help  (Read 23903 times)

Offline Throttlejockey

• Novice
    • View Profile
1984 CR125 Resto Help
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
Hi all,

so im new on here so sorry if im a bit novice haha

but anyway, i'm the process of doing up a 1984 CR125 with my dad.
We arn't restoring it immaculately or anything we just want to get it mostly back to its former glory so we can ride it at some Vintage meetings and etc.

The person we brought this off had done all the rear suspension up and what not so thats all fine but it has some serious internal problems that we found once we had it home and apart.
So the water pump had been leaking and corroded out the right hand side casing. So we have filled the multi holes in that and grinder them smooth( we have ordered a custom casing but its not here yet)so we will see if out this weekend if our patch job has worked.

We are having trouble finding other bits and pieces for it though,
like we cant find any footpegs to fit that year model, we have looked for second hand ones and after market ones and we cant get any to fit a 84 or 85 model,as the original foot pegs are pretty much scrap metal.

Were also having trouble getting a manual for it, were not fussy about if its a hard copy or a downloadable copy, i have seen some random sites have downloadable copies that you can pay to download the PDF files but its hard to know which sites are the legit and which sites are dodgy, i would be happy to pay to download one if it wasn't gonna steal my details or give me viruses haha.

Here some photos of it when we first got it home :)

and i will post progress as we go along :)
and any help with where to get parts or general knowledge would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 CR125 Resto Help
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »
I am useless with a welder/grinder etc - so every bike I get I take the pegs off and send to Geoff Morris who professionally adds extenders/wideners etc to them.  Advantage of this is the fact you know they will fit straight back on as well.  Not an expensive exercise either.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Throttlejockey

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »
Oh ok thanks for that i will look into him :)
The biggest issue is where the peg actually joins the frame it all bent and cracked ( the peg that is, not the frame)
but thanks ill check it out :)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
The footpegs in the pics look ok?  The '84 had it's own style of peg, I have a good spare set off my '84 500, could be the same? I fitted 2003 KTM wide pegs to my bike, took a little grinding but they fit ok
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Paulos

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »
Late model YZ pegs fit my 87 cr125,  might be worth a look?

I usually just look up online parts diagrams if you need to know what part goes where.....

Offline Throttlejockey

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:44:09 PM »
yeah the ones on it in the pictures, they look alot better in the pictures then they actually are haha .
and oh ok i didn't know they were "their own style" as i thought they would be the same as the 85 as some parts are the same, so probs lucky we didn't find a set for an 85 either or they wouldn't fit haha
haha cheers for that :)

Offline Throttlejockey

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
oh ok awesome, were getting a YZ next weekend so i might take those pegs off and try them on it when we get it :)
thanks

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 04:12:25 PM »
YZ won't fit, RE was it's own style, later CR's are completely different. I'll sell you my stockers for $50 but you need KTM pegs.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Throttlejockey

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »
Oh ok thanks I'll talk to my dad about the pegs today . We just started it again this afternoon and the radiator is pressurizing and blowing the cap off and the carby is starting to piss fuel so the we have to replace a heap more . The person who had this before hand clearly did not take car of his bikes :(

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »
Yep J O is right 84-85 had a backwards setup with the saddle part on the peg not the frame like 99% of other bikes, Late model Kato ones are the go with a bit of tweaking ;)

Offline Throttlejockey

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 04:17:58 PM »
Cool thanks for the info :)
We will have a play and see what we can get to work :)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »
Hi Zoe, I have an 84 CR250 and have spent the last 5 years sorting it. In the 250 the 84 is what they call an orphan model. I'm not sure of the exact years but it is something like the 81,82,83 had a lot of common parts and the 85, 86 & 87 had a lot, but the 84 was unique in many ways. For that reason it is difficult to get parts for my model. I wouldn't be surprised if the 125 is the same. I had the same problem with the pegs and the KTM peg fix did the trick. They are excellent. With regards to your cooling system, it is the right move to order one of the sandcast covers, I am guessing it is one of Russell's. I have one of those and it is excellent. If after you put that on and make sure the pump is working properly you still have problems with the cooling system contact me. You might have the same problem it took me 4 years to work out.
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline Throttlejockey

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »
Hi Zoe, I have an 84 CR250 and have spent the last 5 years sorting it. In the 250 the 84 is what they call an orphan model. I'm not sure of the exact years but it is something like the 81,82,83 had a lot of common parts and the 85, 86 & 87 had a lot, but the 84 was unique in many ways. For that reason it is difficult to get parts for my model. I wouldn't be surprised if the 125 is the same. I had the same problem with the pegs and the KTM peg fix did the trick. They are excellent. With regards to your cooling system, it is the right move to order one of the sandcast covers, I am guessing it is one of Russell's. I have one of those and it is excellent. If after you put that on and make sure the pump is working properly you still have problems with the cooling system contact me. You might have the same problem it took me 4 years to work out.

Thanks that's really good to know :)
And. It sure if the cover is one of Russell's , I just know it's being shipped from coffs harbour haha
And thanks would really appreciate that, our next port of attack is the take the radiators off and flush them out and replace all the hoses ( to rule them out as the problem ) and to take the head apart and make sure it isn't corroded. And if we come up trumps there,then we'll be out of ideas so you'll be the first to know haha
The bloke who had it before stored it in a very humid environment as the front brake calipers need replacing know as well because the caliper pistons and warped . The list just keeps getting longer haha but Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm in live with it already and I haven't even been able to ride it yet hahaha????????

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
Hey throttlejockey,

Welcome to the vintage 125 club.  I have been working on my two 83 model YZ125's for years.  Your going to have to tear the bike down and give it a birthday.  Its 34 years old!!  A carb kit should sort the leaks.  Probably gum, worn needle and seat, incorrect float level etc.. The rad caps get old and worn.  My 1.1 bar cap always let pressure out the overflow even when the bike was just warm.  I have just got a new 1.6 bar cap.. anyway, try a new good quality cap. 

Have fun!!

Cheers,

Heres my two old girls as of today...

Offline Boyracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »
might have a spare cr250 foot peg from that year, will let you know, you can get them welded and re drilled.
Old CR are always nice.