Author Topic: Welding gases  (Read 3050 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Welding gases
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:44:05 PM »

Well my welding gases are all empty and I am not prepared to be ripped off anymore by BOG.  So I am thinking about going with one of those buy the bottle and then pay a fee and swap for a full bottle.  Then when its no longer needed you get your money back when the bottles are returned.  Sounds like a better deal but Bunnings only keep D size cylinders (not big enough),  other company's like Gasweld have a full range of sizes but they don't keep acetylene.  I know I can set it up to use LPG but I don't think it burns hot enough to weld.  I would eventually like to have a argoshield 50 or similar for my Mig welder and also oxy and acet for welding and heating. I still have about half a bottle on argon for welding aluminium but I rarely use it, so hopefully it will last for a while. 
  Over the years people ask can you do a bit of welding on a trailer or broken gate and you just do it for them and never charge for it, but it's getting to a stage now where the money you have to pay to have and use these tools will make the free job a thing of the past.
   So who has the best price for this type of gas supply, has anyone on this forum gone down this route and are there any pit falls I need to look out for.
                                        Zane   
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Re: Welding gases
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:18:45 AM »
yep the Bunnings bottles are small but they are open every day and often to 7pm
Maybe a cheapo plasma cutter so you can throw the gas axe away - they use heaps of gas

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 07:40:30 AM »
I rented an acetylene cylinder from Liquid Air for many years but the annual rental was way too high.
For acetylene, I recently changed to Coregas who have a local agent and with them you buy the cylinder (and contents) for a few hundred dollars and own it from then on (no more rent)
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline dont

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
The coregas option sounds good if they have agents nearby. I ran oxy/propane for a few years. I brazed light stuff, did plumbing and heated with it but fusion welded steel with the stick.
I like smaller cylinders as they're easier to move around.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
I bought my mine from Speedy Gas as I have a local agent, cost 1k to set it up but I am happy with it.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 10:23:11 PM »
My BOC bottles are empty and really on a mates account, so it was off to Bunnings today.Coregas , each bottle is $200 deposit, then oxy is $69 and acetylene is $99. So $568.00 in total. I reckon it's not too bad a cost every now and then, also convenient as Bunnings are everywhere unlike BOC.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:32:29 PM »

I spoke to an agent from Coregas today, he told me that Bunnings will be stocking (E) size bottles soon, but not sure how soon.  I think I will wait and see if that happens.  That's if I can stand the welding with gasless wire.
                                 Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
Bunnings just built a mega store 800 Meters away from us , thats handy. I looked into the oxy side of it and now waiting for the renewal from BOC .  Unfortunately the Nitrogen and Argo bottles will have to stay with BOC , since Bunnings dont do them (yet ) . But still, paying for 2 bottles less is a good start.
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
boc have a new d size program that gives you a refill for a fixed price with free rent  give them a call as im a bit scetchy on the full details
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."