Author Topic: what kinda power does a dt400 make project advicve welcome..  (Read 3223 times)

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
what kinda power does a dt400 make project advicve welcome..
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »
hey guys im lookin at another project,basically i had the idea of putting a big bore single 2 stroke into a alluminium road frame..rg250,,very light ..prob half of the original dt400..but i have no idea what kinda power a 400 makes..or the characteristics of this power..im guessing about 30hpr..can u think of anything else suitable..also i dont want to vibratrate myself to death..ive got a tzr reverse cylinder engine 55hpr there i was going to use ..but i like the thought of a big air cooled single

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: what kinda power does a dt400 make project advicve welcome..
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 07:44:06 PM »
it would seem more like the 20hpr mark.. ???mmm may look somewhere else..:)

mx250

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
My advice is to forget it ;).

At road speeds the DT will vibrerate and suck fuel and oil like its going outa style.

Others might disagree but I was never impressed with the DT400, not on the road, on the trail or anywhere else. Woof woof, its a dog.

It even looked Universal Japanese Bland.

Put an LC/RZ into the RG frame ;) ;D. Now ya talking.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »
My advice is to forget it ;).

At road speeds the DT will vibrerate and suck fuel and oil like its going outa style.

Others might disagree but I was never impressed with the DT400, not on the road, on the trail or anywhere else. Woof woof, its a dog.

It even looked Universal Japanese Bland.

Put an LC/RZ into the RG frame ;) ;D. Now ya talking.

I agree and have done this in the past myself...

http://www.cultofelsie.co.uk/yamgam.htm
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ultimatelccrazy/
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 09:04:22 PM »
yeah thanks for that..seems abit of a let down...i already have a hybrid using rz/banshee engine..its a cagiva mito with a big bore stroked engine rz470cc
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/twinrock/mito004.jpg
..i think i will use the tzr250 reverse cylinder engine..as it is in top nick and would be a cool look pipes under the seat,
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/twinrock/tzr.jpg
there will be other things done to the bike too...
cyclgod id be interested in seeing your bike or what u did..was it street legle

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
I did my RG/RZ back in the '80s but here's an idea for your DT400 engine,
I always wanted to replicate the look of my old Bultaco Metralla road racer as a cafe racer based around the DT250 (easily modded with MX250 bits) I figured an old RD front end and a few fibreglass body parts would get me pretty close to start with as there is heaps of replica stuff out there that would do the job. Its still in the one day maybe pile along with a host of others ideas.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »
Me? Using above RG frame insert H2 Kawasaki Triple and I have the old Bathurst road race engine specs somewhere.... WEEEEEEE ;D shame about fuel consumption ::)  DT400  as above not Yamys brightest light, :P
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:34:52 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 06:38:33 AM »
I did my RG/RZ back in the '80s but here's an idea for your DT400 engine,
I always wanted to replicate the look of my old Bultaco Metralla road racer as a cafe racer based around the DT250 (easily modded with MX250 bits) I figured an old RD front end and a few fibreglass body parts would get me pretty close to start with as there is heaps of replica stuff out there that would do the job. Its still in the one day maybe pile along with a host of others ideas.
God ;D, we must have similar taste or the same affliction ::). I have a RT1 motor sitting in a YDS5 frame as a 'one day' project - I've got lots a spare DS bits and RT bits, and maybe an MX c/r gearbox, 'surplus to needs'.

The rear mounts line up. All I have to do is the front mounts. I was thinking reinforced holes through the frame and then alloy plates to the engine :). Looks straight forward enough :P. If it will be a period 'cafe racer' or fairly standard roadie remains to be decided. I have an LC disc front end that could fit but just love all that polished alloy and the YDS front brake has so much and looks so good 8).

One day ;D.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »
its a cagiva mito with a big bore stroked engine rz470cc

That's one mean lookin' bike!

Tex

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »
thanks its quite mean to ride too...quite ridiculous actually...just make sure u are pointing it in the right direction when u twist the throttle...its pretty full on..but thats what i love about 2 strokes the aggressive power delivery..mine puts out 80 or so hpr at 115kgs..with no powervalve so band hits hard..!!!