Author Topic: Maico 76 & 77 model what are the differences  (Read 6824 times)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
Maico 76 & 77 model what are the differences
« on: December 06, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
I have an opportunity to obtain a 1976 Maico AW 1976 model.  I would prefer a 1977.  I just want to know what the differences are between the two models.

I know the engine numbers are the same and the frame numbers are different.  Are there any other major changes.  Suspension etc etc.

Yes I know the 76 has a silver frame and yellow plastics and the 77 is red.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Maico 76 & 77 model what are the differences
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »
"Specifications subject to change without notice"

You wouldn't realise to look at, but the last run of 76 models was better than their first first appearence.
As is the same for the 77.

Are you talking MC or GS?
What capacity?

I will be happy to share my observations when I arrive home tonight :)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:42:45 PM »
"Specifications subject to change without notice"

You wouldn't realise to look at, but the last run of 76 models was better than their first first appearence.
As is the same for the 77.

Are you talking MC or GS?
What capacity?

I will be happy to share my observations when I arrive home tonight :)

A MC 400.

As it would be a rebuild I would like to paint it red.  I wouldn't try to say it is a 77, I would just prefer it red.

I believe the seats on the 77 are longer too.

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:15:21 PM »
talk to steve new kev. he has a 76 400 that he changed to match the 77
forks are a bit shorter
rear of frame is a bit different - more clearance on the 77s
otherwise the same, but there may be other differences

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 11:55:20 PM »
It would be easy to say that in just about every year for Maico there is a "Half" model.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Maico never waited to next year to improve, or the "half" year to improve.
They were continually upgraded right throughout the year. The years of 1976 and 1977 are no exception.
That is why there were so many dealer supplements and they alone do not tell all of the development amendments throughout these two years.

Still the makings of a brilliant bike, but if you have the very first of the 76AW's ? you do indeed have a hell of a lot of work to do to bring it up the refinements that the very last of the 77's had(if you choose to go that far).

This will take than one post.

Suspension; for the 77 is brochure listed as 9.5" front and rear and 8.7" for the 76.
Rear shocks a no brainer, just select some remote res(piggy backs set at 9'' axle travel for national level moms.

Front suspension is a bit different to sort. The standard 77 front dampers work a lot better than the 76 ones. I have an modification article from an era mag 76 Maico forks the Jim page way". Or I suppose you could just go valves. The big dissapointment for me is that both year AW's don't run a rebound or top out spring as some call it. Instead they chose to run a "damper return buffer washer" part #3913. A white rubbery washer about 3mm thick(a poor substitute for a spring). In 78 they went back to the rebound spring that they had departed from(get 78 dampers and trim them to 9" or better still 79's and trim them ;) ). 

The early 76 forks I have torn down actually have the same length stanchion tube as the 75MC part#3380, admittedly  they were 76 GS forks? They are definitely fitted with the 76/77 alloy slider though? So,,,I do have definite 76MC forks, but haven't dismantled any yet? 

The 77 frame sported a different seat sub frame to accommodate the longer seat and a much wider rear fender.
The wider 77 rear fender is a huge improvement in the mud over the very narrow 76/75 one.
The longer 77 seat is also only 3/5 of the 76 seat height. An effort to get the overall seat height back down as they upped the suspension height.

A good thing about the 76 frame is that you can throw on a cheaper tougher and plentiful plastic 75/76 tank if you want to preserve your Alloy one. Those plastic tank mounts became deleted in 77.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33:11 AM »
talk to steve new kev. he has a 76 400 that he changed to match the 77
forks are a bit shorter
rear of frame is a bit different - more clearance on the 77s
otherwise the same, but there may be other differences

Frames same from a geometry point of view.
But the 77 frames had two other very important improvements added to where the 76 always cracks, when ridden hard.

This is the first one. this is a 76 frame currently on us ebay, NOT MINE, just an example to show where the 76 cracks between the S/arm pivot gusset and the foot peg mounts.

The 77 frames became strengthened in that area in very early part of 77(between the green lines).

Again a frame curently on US ebay. Indeed it is rare to see a 77 frame without this strengthening, but the first of them did not have it.

There is also another place where the 76 cracks quickly and the 77 does not.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:50:41 AM »
The 76 arm cracks where the inner shocky mount meets the arm tube
76 Arm

Rectified from the beginning of the 77 models by the larger longer inner mount shown where my finger is

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:58:45 AM »
Another great improvement found on the 77's, but not on any of my 76's, is the drive chain tensioner which is anchored to the lower right hand engine case. Circled here in green

Indeed to tell 76 and 77 engine cases apart, the first thing I look at is if there is provision machined to mount it to the underside of the right hand case.

And yes a simple mod to do to the 76 case which is not ready for it in standard trim.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 01:02:28 AM »
One thing that is far more durable on the 76's is the hubs.
They are aluminium alloy. They share the same part number as the 75 and will basically last forever. Very desirable to the 77 owner.

All of my 77 magnesium hubs have either pulled spoke holes, cracked or both.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:16:36 AM by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 01:14:59 AM »
What I have just done is listed just a few of the obvious ones, that anyone can tell just from looking at the outside of these two models.

I feel this may be a waste of my time though and have some living to get on with for a while instead.
There is a hell of a lot more differences between the first of the 76AW's and the last of the 77's.

Lets see if some other Maico enthusiasts know what they are?
I believe I do and there is plenty to go.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 10:21:44 AM »
Hey mick how you going

One off my 76 frame had i different brake pedal mount, an the seat mount were different
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:33:48 PM by paul »

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »
Thank you Mick D.  I other words getting a 76 is worth it. I have another bike I might swap for one.  Of course the biggest advantage of getting a Maico is there is parts available.

Also thanks Shaun I was going to ask Steve as well.  The silly thing is I did have a 77 I bought from Steve, but I sold it to Noel, who sold it to Colin recently.  I also had a KTM 400 and then a Maico 400AW in 1977.  I think rebuilding a Maico is easier than any other bike, providing the main components are sound.