Author Topic: Triple tree size for my Indian ?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Triple tree size for my Indian ?
« on: November 04, 2016, 10:27:05 PM »
G'day viewers, some time ago I replaced the triple tree on my Indian ME 125 1973 model with a Early 70s TS 175. My question is, I would like to run bigger diameter fork tubes, so what model is close to the TS 175 triple tree stem & off set but carries a bigger fork tube ? Jimson
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:04:24 PM by jimson »
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Triple tree size for my Indian ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
bottom clamp on a TS185 is a cast iron job, the stem is welded to it so i dont think your going to get that out. What you could do is find a TM125 triple set up as they are a direct swap and just bore the ally clamps to suit the larger fork tubes. You may find the little indian  would be pretty front heavy with larger and heavier forks and it may not work as good as planned. remember that length of forks is important as well as Axle position in setting the handling . i would be looking at forks first then how I would fit them.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:11:44 PM »
Good point on the weight side of things, that didn't enter my thoughts. The Indian run a 17 rear wheel & a 19 front wheel, which makes the bike feel very small. I'm just trying to work out how to make it more sizeable. Jimson

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 10:35:25 PM »
thats going to give you issues. with height by fitting longer forks or a larger fr rim. that increases the wheelbase which in turn gives it slower steering unless you change the rake to a steeper angle. Increasing the rear rim size also increases wheelbase but thats okay for traction and throwing weight on the front but it will probably hit the gaurd unless you fit longer shocks and increase the length of the swingarm. in short its an expensive pain in the butt and we havnt even got into working out gearing. i would be more tempted to look for good quality components that fit the existing, Its a bit hard to beat a fully kitted XR75 around a small track and they arnt giants just giant killers.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 10:54:27 PM »
Well said Pokey, I'll see what I can come up with. I actually have 2 Indians so one will be the test bike. I already have a TS185 front end but with a 19 wheel I'm not sure if it came off the 185 or I bought it separate. Jimson

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 11:08:50 PM »
early ones had 19, , same as the 125 and 100. went to 21 with the larger and lighter hub in 73 from memory. will be chrome lowers for the early ones. if its ally its from a 125. good luck with the project but do grab a plumb bob and a decent tape and something to measure angles first so you know what one change will do to the way the bike handles. 

cheers

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »
Hey Pokey, that's a little ME 125 Indian, with a lot of added British bits to it. I know the frame & engin,swingarm & exhaust are stock the rest is from another bike. Jimson

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 10:42:24 PM »
i did want one of those when i was wagging school.  Can get them to go rather well. not sure if they have the minnarelli or the Morini or the fugi engine. What school kid wouldnt want an Indian? I think thats a Minarelli by the side cases..

These days I only have early TS185 stuff and my  trumpy 955 triple for the black stuff. sure saves my head looking at parts.  that indian would be good if they ever bought back the old 100 class races. A rotary valve would be the only thing to beat them.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »
How much larger diameter do you want to go? Depending on the amount of "meat" around the tube clamp area on the triple clamps you may be able to bore them out to suit new forks. 2mm larger dia fork = 1mm removed from I.D of clamps. I've done 41mm to 43mm on a Husky once without dramas...

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 09:48:45 AM »
I was actually thinking if I could change the triple tree to maybe TS250 as I have a TS185 triple tree in at the moment. But I'm not sure if the stem is the same size & the off set is the same. I might put it on club plates & keep it as it is now. I just thought, if I was riding ruff I wanted more strength at the front end. Jimson

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
spring rates would be way wrong using a 250 forks on a bike that size.  RM80 forks. the early ones have the same size stanchions as the 185  but just a bit longer. Valving would be better than what you have. Could use those and Im sure it would be fine but make sure you measure the wheel base and height of the bike as you would need to slip them thru the top triples a bit. using a TM125 triple will let them miss the bars