Author Topic: When building a dirt bike/scrambler  (Read 8506 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
When building a dirt bike/scrambler
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:33:58 PM »
G'day viewers my heart is in twin shock bikes road & dirt. So my question is when one builds a bike does your mind go old school & keep it in the time frame of the period or does one go & put all the fancy bells & whistles on it & just keep throwing  money at it ? Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: When building a dirt bike/scrambler
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »
I go original - but that includes the bells and whistles from the time - Fox Shox etc - if a show bike.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:51:52 PM »
Yep, love my hot rods with period correct mods or genuine or replica trick parts from back in the day :) black rims & pro taper hangers do not get a look in on my bikes ;)  not even my modern one :)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:31:29 PM »
When did alloy bars (stock size/style with cross brace) become available?

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 12:55:07 AM »
This is all personal taste as its you who is building it. this has been going on since they started making bikes as we all like to improve things or personalise it for our taste or performance requirements.

Some call them Frankenbikes but some see them as cool but they are the idea of the builder. I quite like keeping the bike to look like it was back on the showroom floor but have those period correct farkles just like i would have back then. I have also built bikes for others with a bit of modern technology in them to make them more reliable and better handlers but still retained the basic bike characteristics. Things like change the slab seat to a contoured version but keep within the flow of the tank and panels. change out the old style dampeners to modern units that actually work. Flow the engine and a decent ignition . A good set of brakes and you have a custom machine that looks old but will stick with and often outperform a modern machine.  Its all up to the builder to do what they want, how much they can afford to do to it and the time constraints and hope someone else appreciates  it.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 08:50:10 AM »

I would like to know too, I started doing research a while back but got sidetracked ;), thinking it was late 70's :-\

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 08:52:07 AM »
This is all personal taste as its you who is building it. this has been going on since they started making bikes as we all like to improve things or personalise it for our taste or performance requirements.

Some call them Frankenbikes but some see them as cool but they are the idea of the builder. I quite like keeping the bike to look like it was back on the showroom floor but have those period correct farkles just like i would have back then. I have also built bikes for others with a bit of modern technology in them to make them more reliable and better handlers but still retained the basic bike characteristics. Things like change the slab seat to a contoured version but keep within the flow of the tank and panels. change out the old style dampeners to modern units that actually work. Flow the engine and a decent ignition . A good set of brakes and you have a custom machine that looks old but will stick with and often outperform a modern machine.  Its all up to the builder to do what they want, how much they can afford to do to it and the time constraints and hope someone else appreciates  it.

Agreed :) it's whatever floats the owners boat ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »
Depends on what you're doing with the bike.

Race bikes need to work, but I try to keep them looking mostly original. The billet, anodised bling stuff looks awful on old bikes - and that includes Pre-95 bikes - it only became semi-common in the second half of the 90s, so it looks out of place on anything older.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:27:26 AM »
Yep, love my hot rods with period correct mods or genuine or replica trick parts from back in the day :) black rims & pro taper hangers do not get a look in on my bikes ;)  not even my modern one :)
Yep, same. Not real keen on vmx bikes dripping with anodized billet alloy and sticker kits. Period mods - Thumbs up, RHK bling kits and Nickel plated pipes - Thumbs down.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:37:35 AM »
Depends on what you're doing with the bike.

Race bikes need to work, but I try to keep them looking mostly original. The billet, anodised bling stuff looks awful on old bikes - and that includes Pre-95 bikes - it only became semi-common in the second half of the 90s, so it looks out of place on anything older.
Agree, I try to keep most of them original with preferable original patiena unless racing then function over form comes into play, No black rims, tapered bars or bling

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 09:47:22 AM »
Yep, same. Not real keen on vmx bikes dripping with anodized billet alloy and sticker kits. Period mods - Thumbs up, RHK bling kits and Nickel plated pipes - Thumbs down.

That's the golden rule in my shed too  8)
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »
Think far to many folks have the view that hot rodding involves adding a few pre manufactured alloy parts!. The real skill/Genius is in guys performing miracles with what parts they have to make a shit hot machine that actually performs well in its desired form.

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 11:52:53 AM »

I was using solid alloy bars (with no cross brace) in 1977.  They were said to be unbendable.  I bent them.  Just like the un breakable mudguards I broke.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
Really it depends if you want a period correct bike or a reliable race bike.

My Maico has alloy bits because they work better than stock.

1.  Alloy brake backing plates front and rear.  The front one is a twin bolt one that is safer than standard and the brake works better with soft shoes.
2.  Alloy rear brake pedal
3.  Alloy head stay
4.  New Ohlins shocks that are the same as the original.
5.  Brand new spokes and gold rims.

If I wanted a concourse bike I could but I wouldn't race it then.

MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 12:03:49 PM »
I believe its what ever floats the owners boat,for example I have a completely stock 74 Honda CR250M,ticks some peoples box.An FMF package racer Suzuki RM125B with period goodies,porcupine head,red hot pipe etc and a 74 440 GP Maico with yellow plastics ,alloy coffin tank,PFR pipe and alloy silencer,works performance shocks and shock horror BLACK SM PRO rims..........I can tell you it looks tougher than Hitlers Blitzkreig policy LOL
SOME BIKES AND CARS