Author Topic: First Model TT350??  (Read 31294 times)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: First Model TT350??
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »
id be working on the 350 asap as I found them to be a significantly better off road bike than the xt 250.
the gearing is something you have allready found along with the shocker and all this is much better suited on the 350 being purpose built off roader the power is nice on the 350, pulling a higher gear everywhere and plenty of torque to allow short shifting. you should know this..you own a husky 8) ;D

Offline mark1076

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 09:29:22 PM »
G'day there, just if I can add my 2 cents on this topic,

I wouldn't cross an XR350 (in particular the (85-86 RF/RG moodels) off my list either, they were and still are a top bike..

Cheers, Mark

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
xr 350's are a great bike, probably the best all rounder bike of the 80's imo but spare supply is zero. even worse, each model has its own parts zone, they don't cross pollinate that well.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 10:45:04 PM »
The bike was given to me the day before Christmas 2014 in a very sorry state...

...it would just be cruel to keep abusing the poor little thing

Thanks for the great read and photos Col!

Tex

Offline mark1076

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 08:49:05 AM »
xr 350's are a great bike, probably the best all rounder bike of the 80's imo but spare supply is zero. even worse, each model has its own parts zone, they don't cross pollinate that well.

You're pretty much right, I've had a bit to do with XR's for around 20 years now, and while I have found that some things from the RD/RE XR350's (83-84) interchange with the RF/RG (85-86) models, there's a lot that doesn't at the same time. See, the RF/RG versions have the single 35mm carby, which necessitates a different cyl head/airbox etc. They also have a dry sump lube system which means the oil pumps/cases are different, then the later motor has a 63.8mm stroke (353cc), compared to 61.3mm (339cc) for the 83-84 (different crank/piston etc).

Camshafts, barrels, clutches, stator/stator cover, and if you swap the entire trans over inc the bearings, it will swap, but it leaves a lot of stuff thats different too.

My advice if you were to consider an XR350 (which they are well worth it!), either try to locate a good one that doesn't need major work, or tap yourself into a parts supply for the hard to get stuff (like having a parts bike).

Happy bike hunting!  ;D

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 06:58:06 PM »
id be working on the 350 asap as I found them to be a significantly better off road bike than the xt 250.
the gearing is something you have allready found along with the shocker and all this is much better suited on the 350 being purpose built off roader the power is nice on the 350, pulling a higher gear everywhere and plenty of torque to allow short shifting. you should know this..you own a husky 8) ;D

I don't have to worry about shifting at all on my Husky, its an Auto!!

G'day there, just if I can add my 2 cents on this topic,

I wouldn't cross an XR350 (in particular the (85-86 RF/RG moodels) off my list either, they were and still are a top bike..

Cheers, Mark

I did consider the XR350 as I worked as a mechanic for a Honda dealer when they were released and found them to be a sweat ride. Unfortunately, good ones are harder to find and the parts situation makes them a bit of a harder resto than the TT350. I will see how I go next week when I go to check out what the TT's that the mate has are like.

Col
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Best is in the West !!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »
I have been told some stuff for Xr350's is very hard to get. NLA as a genuine part and with no aftermarket option and not found on any other models, so i would certainly do your home work first with regard to parts availability on these.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline mark1076

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »
:)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ipswich/motorcycles/honda-xr-350-vinduro-honda-xr-70-suzuki-lt-125-quad/1119626666

Just had a look at that one, it's a 1983-84 twin carb model. Reasonable Nick for a 32-33 year old scoot. It would depend how she runs........ ;)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 10:28:48 AM »
I rode the little XT250 in it's last event, the River Murray Trial near Mannum on Saturday. A great ride, but a lot of deep sand which really highlighted the 250's power deficiency. The paddock sections were also full of deep whoops, which showed the folly of trying to ride a simple trail bike in these types of events.

Yesterday, I made the 800km round trip up to Broken Hill, and picked up the bare bones of a 1988 TT350 from the mate.

Yes, it is as bad as it looks, the engine is locked up from having sat out in the weather, but it is a 1988 model and has the all important Compliance Plate needed for registration. I also got a later model rolling chassis which will be the donor bike for the wheels and body work. So many hours of fun to come to have it all ready for the start of the 2017 season in May next year.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:30:46 AM by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
You all know the phrase " Assumptions make asses of all". Well, I have Assumed and ...

After removing the engine from the frame of my "new '88 TT350" this afternoon, I removed the head to find a bit of corrosion and the piston stuck but not to solidly that a good wack with a heave copper dolly could fix.

What I also noticed, was that the piston looked a bit small for a 350 and somewhat familiar, having rebuilt my XT250 engine earlier this year.

Now we need to back track a bit to yesterday morning when I was rummaging through the pile of dead/wrecked "TT350's". I was all excited to find a red framed one with matching engine and frame numbers, and only scratched through the grease dirt and grime on the Compliance Plate far enough to find the all important manufacture date, which was 8/88. It was a Woo Hoo moment, and I though that I had my "new" bike.

Now back to the present.

After being somewhat surprised by the size, or more to the point, the lack of size of the piston, I dug further through the grease dirt and grime on the Compliance Plate far to find the sad reality that the bike is a 1988 TT250! BUGGER!

To compound the errors of my assumptions, I have had a good look at the donor rolling chassis, and you guessed it, yep, it's a TT250 as well!

So, I now have to decide from the following;

1. Stick with this bike and build up a nice little 250 with good suspension and just put up with the lower power output,

2. Ditch the whole thing and try and find a suitable Pre-1990 TT350, or

3, Build up this Pre-1990 eligible rolling chassis and find a 350 engine to slot into it! (I assume that the 350 engine will fit into the 250 frame, OH BUGGER I am making assumptions again!!)

There is a 4th option, can anyone tell me if it is possible to fit a 350 topend onto the 250 crankcases?

No matter which way I go from here, I will join the crowd and stand up and say,

"I have made an assumption and therefore I have made an ass of myself!"

Col

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 05:45:05 PM »
bugger..the best laid plans....I don't believe its an easy swap to drop the 350 onto the 250 but I am not often right and I could be wrong again. I have a vague recollection of p platers wanting to 350 their 250 and it was a sticker job only. smarter yamaha lovers will get back to you with the low down shortly

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 06:55:52 PM »
350 motor goes into 250 frame, no problem.
If you want a 350 motor, then you need a 350 motor. Cranks are different, cases are different...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 08:00:03 PM »
350 motor goes into 250 frame, no problem.
If you want a 350 motor, then you need a 350 motor. Cranks are different, cases are different...

Thanks for that.

I have been looking up parts in Zedder and found that the connecting rod, piston pin etc were different which ruled out grafting a 350 topend onto the 250 cases. I will try and get a 350 engine if i can't find a low cost completeish 350.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 10:41:43 AM »
I have decided to rebuild the bike with the 250 engine, although as we all know with projects, this could change tomorrow, or at the next swap meeting I go to if I find a 350 engine.

A few pictures of the condition of the engine top end;

The corrosion is not as bad as it looks, most of it is very light and I think it will clean up ok. the important think is that the cam bearing surfaces in the head are all ok.

Looks bad, but most of it just wiped away with a rag, a decoke and valve job should be all that is required.

Again, the corrosion isn't to bad, and when rebuilding engines of this age a rebore is on the cards anyway, so it is not going to be an issue.

I hope to have time to strip the bottom end in the next day or so, and if all is ok, will clean up the cased and rebuild the bottom end with all new bearings and seals.

Col