Author Topic: Metisse Pre70 replica frame build.  (Read 7698 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Metisse Pre70 replica frame build.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 12:33:11 PM »
This is where it gets strange you say that you bought a Rickman frame from Don I think he sells metisse frames
There is three makers/sellers in the uk almost selling the same thing you don't have to go through Don to buy frames as Rickman in Stroud uk will sell you what you want and ship it to you direct

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »
Hi, I wonder what size motor a Rickman  Mk3 frame was designed  to have in it  ?
     ""               "'                                   Mk3A         ""                  ""
     ""               ""                                   Mk4           ""                  ""
 just saying , cheers.

Offline geoff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 03:25:30 PM »
Hi Jim,... A slip of the pen (or finger) I should have said a Mkiii  Rickman Metisse. It was fitted with a Matchless G 85 CS motor.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 07:21:36 AM »
Good stuff Marcus. I can't foresee anybody questioning the eligibilty of your frame if it is made to the same spec as an original Metisse. No body is concerned about the MK3 frames and to all intent, they are replica frames.

When you finish the Metisse frame, how about knocking out a 1979 or '80 C&J frame or 2.....

That is pretty much how it seems to go with the Metisse frames. The Rickmans apparently made 17000 or so frames and there are replicas thrice removed being made.
It doesn't hurt to ask- my unfamiliarity with Pre70 was total up unti a few weeks ago and it wouldn't have been a complete suprise to find that frame jointing method was an issue. 79 or 80 H C&J would be a good Evo thing. There was a bloke from the Bendigo club at theRavo  Classic Nationals on one that he was leaping easily as far and high as the moderns.

If you love it, lube it.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
That was Sam Davies on Mark Waterhouses's C&J Honda at Ravo and yes, he showed the majority of the 2 strokes the way around the track, until he shattered the rear wheel. Then he blew the gearbox to bits. Seems old 4 strokes don't like to be flat changed and banged into gear with no mercy!

The C&J was my favourite bike at the Nats.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 01:25:07 AM »
That was Sam Davies on Mark Waterhouses's C&J Honda at Ravo and yes, he showed the majority of the 2 strokes the way around the track, until he shattered the rear wheel. Then he blew the gearbox to bits. Seems old 4 strokes don't like to be flat changed and banged into gear with no mercy!

The C&J was my favourite bike at the Nats.
Not suprised that he broke the box and wheel Mark.  He was comfortably tripling the jump sequence on the finish straight.
Do you have any details on the C&J frame- tube diameters and guages front geometry?
If you love it, lube it.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »
Not at this point in time I don't Marcus, but I will endevour to find out.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »
Thank you Zane.

I have seen several Rickman style frames that are welded rather than brazed.  In the unusual absence of vociferous opinion on a VMX rule question posed here and the lack of a damning precedent  I have started work on the frame and have decided to do it from TIG welded 1.25" x 065" chrome-moly.

Marcus,
Please post progress photos of the build.
Thanks,
Pete.