Author Topic: Bulty and Montessa Q's  (Read 6119 times)

Offline gus58

• Novice
    • View Profile
Bulty and Montessa Q's
« on: October 31, 2015, 12:33:24 am »
I've picked up a couple of bikes lately, a 360 Frontera and a Montesa Enduro. The Monty has Engine number 54M0856 and it needs a lot of work, the Bulty is nearly complete and in good nick..... First the Monty, what is it? thinking 75, and are the Enduro's as written across the top of the tank a king scorpion? or a different model altogether? It needs a new ignition, not sure what is gone but suspect the pickup behind the flywheel..... I'm not 100% on this either as it throws a spark...... just, its that faint you can only see it at night, but seems blue. Does anyone know if all RH motoplats are the same or if anything fits from another model/make? I see some on ebay and I'm trying to narrow one down that will suit. It needs everything from the carb back on the fuel side of things, side covers as well. Headlight, tail light, proper guards are needed as well. Maybe same as Bultys??? I'm an ebay shopper but if any of you guys have parts for sale I'd be interested.

The Frontera needs all lights and switches as well but is otherwise complete. Do the 360's bog down in the lower revs usually then go like f*ck when they get over a certain rev? It does it with both the amal and a mikuni (38's) but seems to put around at very low revs comfortably, mainly midrange it bogs down. Its got good compression but is a  very rattly motor but suspect reed valves may be the cause of the noise???? Any help appreciated

Offline g465b

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Bulty and Montessa Q's
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:45:05 am »
my 1975 250 E's look like this (below). the king scorpions were the trail bike with automix oil injection
[/URL]
[/URL][/img]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:54:23 am by g465b »

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 09:57:03 am »
Did Frontera's have reed valves?

Offline gus58

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 11:23:04 am »
Not standard on my model I don't think, but until I pull it down I wont know, what makes me think it may have them fitted is what looks to be a thin plate in between the manifold and carb mount..... I'll check today.... If it hasn't, I best be checking the con rod I suppose....

Offline TTezza

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 11:56:17 am »
Pretty sure mine hasn't

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 01:44:40 pm »
sounds like the jetting is rich in the midrange / needle. as it clears onto the mainjet  you get a big rush as its suddenly developing power.

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 09:54:28 pm »
Most of the American blue Fronteras had reed valves.

Offline gus58

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 02:08:52 am »
Got the Frontera sorted, dropped needle to lowest position, goes great now, thx for the tip.. now the montesa spark..... i cleaned up the rotor on my lathe, cleaned the pickup pads (?) on the stator, still nothing, so ripped the tank of my husky and swapped out the coils. Now with an extra hard kick i get a spark across the montesa plug, same with the husky, but not a very strong spark on both..... seems both coil and sender work to a certain extent, but not together???

Offline 67LaCrosse

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:18:30 pm »
Hi gus58

You are correct your Montesa with engine number 54M 0856 is a 1975 Enduro 250. Great to see another Monty being saved, post up some photos of it.
just a bit of history on that particular bike with serial number 54M 0856 it arrived in Australia around late April 1975.

Regards Patrick

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 09:43:36 pm »
ahh,hmmm,wonder where that tank is  ::), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline gus58

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 09:22:04 pm »
It needs a lot of parts to bring it back to standard, I'm wondering if it worth the cost, parts are very expensive and the list gets longer every time I look at it. I have it running and have put about an hrs riding on it, for a small motor they are surprisingly quick. It runs like a dream, but is in poor condition.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:29:05 pm by gus58 »

Offline TTezza

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 09:54:09 pm »
Gus,
     Looks like a good score, be a shame not to tidy it up. Frontera in the background looks good as well.