Author Topic: Roys old AJ  (Read 25079 times)

Offline bigthumpa

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Roys old AJ
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »
this is my pre 1965 vmx bike thanks to peter Lawson in w.a

have one other pre 1965 and a pre 1960 but they are dirttrack bikes
was the motor stuff I sold you ok for your bike
jim
Ah ha!! I knew Pete sold it to someone over East. Good to see that it will be ridden and not just become  a museum piece. Is a shame we lost it the other side of Oz because we really needed it to bolster the numbers over here in WA!!!! None the less I am sure you will enjoy riding it, I have had a ride on it at Pete's farm and was suitably impressed. Hope to see it at the Nats in June!! :)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
The pics are great....but they are both matchless engines gentlemen

Well there ya go--where's me glasses. Here's a pic of 'my' AJS not long before it let go the top of the wirewound piston & took the cylinder apart just below the bottom fin as it had-had a liner fitted at some stage. Turned down a non wirewound oversize  in the lathe with a little extra clearance as someone said it needs to extra clearance across the pin [take another cut lol]. Smacked the cylinder back down the liner to match up perfect then put 4 long 1/4 whit bolts with 5/16 nuts as spacers between each fin. Bolted up tight & never looked back. Well--had to have it running for the next day didn't i.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 07:30:46 PM »
The pics are great....but they are both matchless engines gentlemen

Well there ya go--where's me glasses. Here's a pic of 'my' AJS not long before it let go the top of the wirewound piston & took the cylinder apart just below the bottom fin as it had-had a liner fitted at some stage. Turned down a non wirewound oversize  in the lathe with a little extra clearance as someone said it needs to extra clearance across the pin [take another cut lol]. Smacked the cylinder back down the liner to match up perfect then put 4 long 1/4 whit bolts with 5/16 nuts as spacers between each fin. Bolted up tight & never looked back. Well--had to have it running for the next day didn't i.

Cool pics overthehill   I rember a mate of my dads that used to race old British iron , in beach racing in New Zealand , I rember seeing some black and white photos of the racing when I was a teenager .
Like it was only yesterday  :o

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:32:49 PM by mick25 »

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 08:54:22 PM »
Nice Pix
glad to report that the engine and GB are in the frame - needed a bigger hammer - things took longer that I planned. Like my Velocette nothing ever seems to line up exactly as it should so can be an absolute pain in the a&* to get everything to fit.
You also tend to forget where everything goes and when every engine bolt was bent or broken after the blow up it can take some time to make it right. Fortunately with the bike came 50 years of bits, complete with old tobacco & biscuit tins; the contents of which came in very handy in deed. I still hate 26 TPI nuts and bolts though............. 

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 05:40:24 PM »
Well Im happy to report that the mighty AJS went for its maiden voyage up the drive today - shes a meth burner now with a new carb from Amal.
From the original Roy East engine we were able to save everything above the base gasket to retain as much as possible; the cases are correct AJ 18CS wuith the right numbers so all in all Im quite pleased. Its not restored in anyway and retains the patina of a well loved bike
Thanks for those who helped out - very much appreciated

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2016, 07:22:41 PM »
Well done staying true to the bikes history & pantinea, can you put a pic of it up here ? Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2016, 07:38:24 PM »
dont have a photo host site - will send you one.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2016, 08:22:33 PM »

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
There you go 211, farrrk it's beautiful form & function. Love these old bikes. Jimson

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »
Thanks Garry - the 69 Stormer will be on the rack before Xmas for a full rebuild but should be a lot easier and quicker than the Compy.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 09:34:04 PM »
I really like how you've kept the bike true to it's history Dave. Jimson

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »
tres cool,very nice job Dave, :P
wheres piccy of the timing side
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline 211

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2016, 09:30:06 PM »
will have my agent post one Mick - I didn't take a pic because of all the things I lost over the 4 year build I lost the gear shifter.... new one on the way, I didnt want to restore anything with the bike just rebuild it but when the things in a 1000 bits you can get some things done you may not do ordinarily - so new engine, new carb, frame in a jig and straight again (was really bent) stuff like that but no garage queen - will be at the nats next year and anything else I can get to. 

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
geezas 4 years where did that go  :o,bet you find the gearlever day after the new one arrives ;) :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!