Author Topic: Stolen bike or parts list ?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Stolen bike or parts list ?
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »
Greame , Can we get forum section up, or a locked section where we can post up stolen bikes and parts ?

The bikes we deal with and the lenght some of my fellow users go to, to find items makes me think if it turns up for sale or swap they will find it. 

I like them would not only hate to be caught with the hot stuff, but alert the owner that it has survived or been rebirthed.  Im not sure if classic bikes get riped off by resellers rather than oppertunists, but the fact that most guys here can pick a correct bike or part a mile away even if they stuff it in another frame or break it and list it as bits im sure we could locate it if it surfaces and also stop the chances of us buying stolen stuff unwitingly,  the reason i say this is i come across a lot of US posts listing serial numbers etc, and i happen to be a little suspicious of some item we find for sale.

forwarned is fortold, even gear coming over from NZ, would be good to know if it already has an owner.

if it was locked or limited to post only not reply it would make it easy to thumb through info and not junk reply posts.  worth a thought ?

for example ( actualy these are stolen)

1981 Suzuki RM250X. Frame# JS1RJ11A182100983 (numbers now obscured by powdercoating),
engine# RM250-102316

1982 Suzuki RM465Z. Frame# JS1RM11A9C21D1274, engine# RM465-104362.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:01:21 PM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen bike or parts list ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »
http://www.stolendirtbikes.com.au/

Though I do agree that a vintage-specific list on an old bike forum will get a lot more worthwhile traffic.

The other thing that I've seen happen on of forii where they have a "stolen" sub-forum, is that they get whored up with "Geez that sucks mate" and "I'll keep my eyes open for you" type posts - while the sentiment is good, 98% of posts are the same and people (me) stop reading them, so the vaule of the forum is greatly diminsihed.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:51:46 AM »
I reckon this is a good idea, and I'll check out if I can make a forum 'post only' and then we'll go from there. Be patient tho cos at the moment most evenings are spent trying to get two recalcitrant teenage boys to finish two assignments...

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
thats why i said make it post only or get the mod to lock it and he can load up the info from a PM or email ?

I think it would work really weel, also considering you wont get a classified in the paper that says : stolen :  they make you say missing -( i know i left the forker) i think its gets tyhem more words :O)

beside the cycle god or quicky types will have found them in a week :O)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff