Author Topic: single shock pre85  (Read 7974 times)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
single shock pre85
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:04:09 AM by shelpi »

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: single shock pre85
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »
Sounds like a good move to reinvigorate a moribund area of the sport. New solos are being built for Pre 85 all the time.

I passengered a chair a couple of times when they were the must watch scramble category. I built a couple of novelty XR75 outfits back when and would be many times more likely to consider pushing a single shock pre CR, YZ, RM or KX in chair service.

If you love it, lube it.

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
There is the answer ever one is happy pre 86 it is

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
Funny how a submission must provide strong evidence, and a detailed argument for a change to even be considered, but the commission itself can simply say "we believe", and that's enough.

Surely the rejection should include some details of their belief? Something like "The commission believes that mono-shock outfits manufactured by Brand X were available in 1984" would be far more helpful.

God complex maybe?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance regarding sidecars but didn't people build 500cc sidecars using stock framed early 80's bigbore MX bikes bikes with bolt on chairs or don't the home built special count.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance regarding sidecars but didn't people build 500cc sidecars using stock framed early 80's bigbore MX bikes bikes with bolt on chairs or don't the home built special count.

The Pre 85 specials didn't count.

There was no commercial angle for Wasp...
If you love it, lube it.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
Even if it went to "Heavy weights" and "Light weights" it still wouldn't answer all the questions.
It was great to see the all-comers in the Murray Williams Cup last year.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 08:20:12 PM »
I can understand and agree with not allowing mono shock factory EML/WASP/VMC frames as they were not available in 1984 and I understand if in 1984 at a international GP level that there was possibly no home built specials on 84 or older CR480, YZ490 solo bikes etc but at a local club or national level perhaps? Does it all have to be about re-creating what was happening at the highest level? I am sure not everyone could afford a EML or Wasp back then at an entry level. There were DR500 and TT500 based outfits getting around which are not factory sidecar frames so I don’t see why home built specials using pre85 mono shock solo bikes as the base should not be allowed. If VMX was truly about re-creating an era then they would be allowed I reckon. I think VMX has moved passed ‘re- creating’ the era in my opinion though. Theres so much stuff in VMX now that wasn’t on bikes back then and then there’s all the odd ball Evo bikes that never existed etc so when you look at it that way, at least allowing someone today to build a home built outfit on a 84 and older mono shock solo bike for pre 85 is a lot more period correct than things like modern bars, pegs, fork internals etc. So even if there is absolutely 100% no proof at all of anyone riding a home built outfit on a CR480 in 84 for example, its no different to a 1979 RM400 with a 1984 43mm/TLS front end on it as no one was riding one of those back then either.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:27:58 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 12:29:31 PM »
Actually the big bore 2 stroke lights started back in the 70's yep 500 maicos sidecars in Europe, ie 2/1979 P. Glazier and M. Britton on their 500 Maico outfit and a plenty more if you care to look,
Speaking of looking it is also a fact that the GP outfits were getting right into it in the early 80's yep Wasp and EML with big names attatched just to mention a few  The Maico brothers, Herman Walgenbach (H.E.W.A), Fred Helm Zabel
then there is Walter Mettersheid/ Ralf that developed the Honda CR480 with Wasp, Zabel, HEWA and Otto in 1983,
Reinchard Bohler/ Franz 1st German National championship 1984 with a Zabel, Walter Mettersheid/Ralf 2nd with the Honda,
So by the time EML/EML single shock won the World Championship in 1985 with a package designed, built and tested in 1984.
Not to mention all the HBS that were built in various  Countries by various teams and individuals from monoshocks of various persuasions.
Its time that the truth is allowed to surface, it is time to stop this secret squirrel/gentlemens agreement that has perverted history with cover ups, diversions, lies and bully boy tactics , so lets put our big boys pants on and go with the truth it will be best for the long run
Congratulations Commission for your insite, understanding history as it was,
Go forward now and build your monoshock that your idle/mate used in 1981,82,83 or 84 wether it be a replica of your mates/legend outfit   or a GP sidecar that only got 14th place in the 1984 world Championship
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:32:05 PM by shelpi »

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
Well said shelpi at last a voice of reason instead of the half truths that are peddled on here by a certain person.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:08:18 PM »
I raced at ACUSA in the '83 nationals where Murray Williams turned up on a CR based outfit that was shit fast but quite unstable, crashed in the 1st turn as I re-call. Can't say if it was a single shock or not for sure,but someone on here will know and might even have a pic.