Author Topic: Welcome aboard  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Welcome aboard
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »

Welcome to the OzVMX Community.

This forum system is provided by a program called Simple Machines Forum, or SMF. The online help etc refers to SMF. We of course will call it OzVMX or The Forum. But if you see SMF referred to anywhere in here, it just means the OzVMX Forum. Each 'forum' is called a 'Board'. There are quite a few boards, most just the same names as the old OzVMX Forums. I have added a couple of new boards though - Forum Help, and Introductions.

Forum Help is where you can post questions, suggestions or tips about using OzVMX. Introductions is where you can go to introduce yourself after you join. This is of course optional.

All current and new members of OzVMX will need to register on the new Forum. To register, use the Register link at the top left under the OzVMX logo. Once registered, you will need my approval to be able to use the Forum. Please be patient initially as it may take me some time to get to your registration. I hope to work through most of them pretty much within a day or two, but it may take longer. If you haven't heard within 3 days, drop me a PM here on this forum, or email me at webmaster@ozvmx.com. By the way, it would be best to use your original forum user name, but use a different password. The Turkish hackers *may* have a record of all users and passwords from here. I don't think I'd like them to get a free ride into the new one.

Now, using the new forum is very straight-forward, but there is an online help as well as the Forum Help board.

The top of the screen shows some basic stats, then there is a News section that I will use to post notices about events, happenings and forum changes.

Under that is the main navigation. Home on the left, then Help, Search and so on.

Then we come to the boards themselves. There are several categories, and the category title is in the dark blue bar, and then under that are the names of each board in that category. Note that you can 'collapse' or 'expand' each category using the + or - sign next to the category title.

At the very bottom of the screen is the Info Centre which contains all sorts of information about the forum.

Posting messages etc is very much the same as the old forum, so you shouldn't find it too hard. You can still insert pictures the same way as you did before, but there is also the option of uploading images. To do that, use the 'Additional Options' link at the very bottom of the Post screen. Note tho that to conserve disk space I have limited the size of images, so you will need to be able to resize your images before uploading them.

There is a calendar of events, you can see it from the navigation bar. Any registered member can post an event. However, please be responsible and only add actual events. Note that an event should be something VMX related and of interest to the rest of the members. In other words, NOT your wife's birthday no matter how useful that may be.

And that's pretty much it. The rest you'll figure out as you go along.

By the way, the 'scale' for labelling members based on their number of posts is:

Novice
C-Grade
B-Grade
A-Grade
Legend
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:03:09 PM by Graeme M »