Author Topic: Name these boots.  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Name these boots.
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:57:45 PM »
This isn't a quiz as such - I don't know the answer.
I remember them from 70s MX photos; usually on the feet of Maico riders but I never did see a pair in the shops.
Can anyone identify the brand/Country of origin?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Name these boots.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »
They may be an early Gecel design. Pic must be from an early Mx des Nations, with Vic Eastwood chasing hard in the Union Jack, probably on a BSA, but possibly during his brief career on a Husky.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Maico31

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:20:15 PM »
They look a bit like Daytona's. I had a pair in the late 70's, Adolf Weil wore them from memory.

VMXUK

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:47:10 AM »
They may be an early Gecel design. Pic must be from an early Mx des Nations, with Vic Eastwood chasing hard in the Union Jack, probably on a BSA, but possibly during his brief career on a Husky.

Yes I remember the boots but may have been Gaerne. Vic would have been on CCM in this shot.

TM BILL

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
Left ones called dave and the right one is Barry  :)

Tony T

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »
I suppose it is lunch time over there, Bill. Sounds like you've had a few with lunch.............  ::)  :D :D

firko

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »
Don't know what the Michelin Man boots are but the riders are Adolf Weil on a Maico and Vic Eastwood on a CCM.

VMX-Honda

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »
I thought they were MRobert, but I live to be proven wrong. So long as Bill isn't right [or is that left in this case as Barry was right].
Ah, my brain hurts [but not a much as Bills].
Time for lunch
VMX-Honda

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:18:19 PM »
more puzzling than actually naming the boots.. is why you ask? ::)
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

TM BILL

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 06:49:11 PM »
Vic Eastwood is riding a Maico No question  ;)

YSS

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
I think they are the pump up UVEX  boots. You put them on and then pump them up to suit. And no funny comments , Paul
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:17:06 PM by YSS »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 09:17:25 PM »
more puzzling than actually naming the boots.. is why you ask? ::)
Because knowledge is no burden...

Nah seriously, I remember them from 70s photos but never saw a pair in the flesh.
I always thought they were a strange looking item and wondered if the ribbed (for her pleasure?) fronts were rubber or leather or what.
I wouldn't mind having a pair in the shed for old time sakes. Same reason I bought my AlpineStars when I stumbled upon them in a 'Cash Converter' store a few years ago.
I hadn't discovered VMX and had no bike - but I recognised the boots as a 70s classic and wanted them for the warm and fuzzies I get as a collector; that's all. :) 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:01:13 PM by Wombat »
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

YSS

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
The next best thing is Moon boots , Wombat  :D

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:51:03 PM »
Vic Eastwood is riding a Maico No question  ;)

Never recall seeing him on a Maico, Bill.... and Firko, what is it that makes you think the Maico rider is Adolf Weil, when Willi Bauer is in the caption ? Do tell....
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

TM BILL

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 10:10:01 PM »
Vic eastwood rode Maicos in 1974  :) i think he won the British open title on a maico in 1974 but stand to be corrected.

Self correction  :-[ Vic Allan won both the British 500cc and 250cc championships in 1974.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 05:35:34 AM by TM BILL »