Author Topic: Two pack or powder coat?  (Read 5139 times)

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Two pack or powder coat?
« on: October 03, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
Got a frame that I need to re do. I've always just stripped and re painted myself which doesn't last too well.
What's peoples prefrance, powder coat or two pack? Pros and cons?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Two pack or powder coat?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
2 pac.....powder coating is for ballastrading and outdoor furniture.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 01:35:56 PM »
2 pac.....powder coating is for ballastrading and outdoor furniture.

x2
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:13:48 PM »
Done both.......2 PAC !!!
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »
2 PAC
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
After spending 3 afternoons stripping a frame of powder coat - the Answer is acrylic! You can even weld on it!!! 2 PAC is something the bro's listen to!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:33:48 PM by cemotobull »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
Powdercoat is a final solution, its simple, you drop it off and pick it up. it can block threads and the frame must be spotlessly clean of grease etc that can melt and run when they heat it. its a tough finish. all threads must have dummy bolts or nuts and any bushing surfaces covered otherwise you will find out how tough it is when you have to sand it back.

paint is the better option if you want to redo it at a later date. (turn a rider into a showpiece etc),

more color and finish options just a bit fiddlier to prep unless you send it to a paint shop or your a backyard painter.

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I've heard the powdercoat can chip off easily?
Next question, any recommendation for someone bike/price friendly in Melb to paint it?

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 07:14:58 AM »
D project - hot tip. get your painter to put a bit of flex aid in the paint (like they use on plastic bumper bars) it will give paint a bit of flex, which makes more resilient to chipping.
ps used to be tech rep for DuPont 

Offline ARN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »
hi Jason

Darren mc mullin  that nutter on the muggins got his number if you need

cheers arno

Offline Ngapuhi

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »
I powdercoat my roadbike frames as it's a lot more durable in that arena and is a lot cheaper than paint (due to prep time, ally). I powdercoated my TT frame on advice from mates (it was the mid 90's and apparently everyone was doing it) years back. I was told it doesn't rub off like paint around the boot zone, well that turned out to be an urban myth 2 rides later. I use 2 pack on the dirt bikes now as you can touch it up as was said previously. With the powdercoat on the threads, most good powdercoaters will have heat resistant silicone bungs to cork the holes to save the potentially painful task of cleaning threads.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 01:51:38 PM »
2k and if you get ya hands on the top of the range enamel  :o yes I just said enamel, its great stuff, dries quick, lays on real nice, chip resistant, no poison to your nervous system (allways use correct PPE)  woops need another bracket easy prep and spray nobody can tell, looks like 2pac, left overs out of gun wont set ;)

get shit enamel it will peel off or chip off :(  automotive Dulux is great ;), but hey there are some real good paints in rattle cans if ya upto it :o
Ive got bikes painted in 2pac they stay shiny longer ;)

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »
If you slice back the frame yourself, i dont believe it has to be all back to bear metal. I personally would not use a primer, rather a etch additive or an etching paint as most of the frames were painted with colour straight onto the frame so when the boot marks show you do not see a line of white primer. Just my thoughts anyway... I am sure others will have different opinions.
If you were in sydney i would recommend my brother Marc- Sydney custom spraypainting at Guildford. all he does is bikes and maybe one special car once every 3 or so years.
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »
I definitely use to prefer two-pack,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But, time is money,,,and being time poor and embarking on many projects,,,,, ::) ::) ::)
I will be using Powder Coat for the next half a doz,,,
choice based on,,,,

$150 - $180 for garnet blast, light primer, then colour for complete MX Frame, arm brackets pedals, etc.
Job done and very good quality. He contacts you if he finds any cracks.

As Davey Crocket says its only$50 for powder coat to be chemically stripped these days.
Time is life and life is short.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Ngapuhi

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 02:52:52 PM »
If you slice back the frame yourself, i dont believe it has to be all back to bear metal. I personally would not use a primer, rather a etch additive or an etching paint as most of the frames were painted with colour straight onto the frame so when the boot marks show you do not see a line of white primer.

Did my RM and KX frames this way. The KX had different layers of paint on it so coarse scotchbrite and thinners got it back to the original paint. Quick haze coat of etch primer, colour 10 mins after. All done in the back yard hanging from my 'Hills hoist spray both'. Don't tell the neighbours ;)